PDA

View Full Version : BA upgrades corpse.

Stuart
19-03-2007, 15:19
Imagine this: Paul Trinder, who had paid over three thousand pounds for his first class ticket from Delhi to London got a slight shock when he woke up to find the stewardess had put a corpse into the seat next to him. They also upgraded the family, who were sitting in the cabin weeping and wailing.

Yet, and this is incredible bit. When he complained, he was told to "Get over it"..

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/03/19/ba_upgrade/

Now, while I can understand why BA did it (after all, they have to do something with the corpse, and it would be disrespectful to put the corpse into the hold), the cabin crew could have been a little more polite to the man they put a corpse next to.

Xaccers
19-03-2007, 15:54
Hang on, long haul 747's have sleep cabins for the crew, why not strap the deceased onto one of those bunks?

Stuart
19-03-2007, 16:03
True..

prawncocktail
19-03-2007, 16:03
sheesh, id be a bit upset if i was that guy

superbiatch
19-03-2007, 16:05
Hang on, long haul 747's have sleep cabins for the crew, why not strap the deceased onto one of those bunks?

I wouldn't want a dead body where i'd possibly be sleeping - stick it with the customers ;)

Xaccers
19-03-2007, 16:17
Well lash the deceased to a toilet then and lock the door from the outside, unlike the Enterprise, I'm pretty sure 747's don't just have one loo.
I'd have thought they'd have a proper proceedure for such eventualities as these, like if less than X hours from departure point turn back unless the destination is closer to where the deceased needs to be, in which case get out a body bag and secure the deceased somewhere out of sight.
I can't believe it's "carry deceased into first class and find empty seat next to someone"

Ramrod
19-03-2007, 16:34
So thats what you have to do to get an upgrade on BA! :shocked:

:D

Halcyon
19-03-2007, 16:41
Hmmmm, I wouldnt be too pleased being treated like that by the BA crew.
It's a difficult situation but one that should have better procedures in the event this happens again.

Stuart
19-03-2007, 16:51
Having seen how Virgin pack the living into a 747, and being assured that BA is worse, I am not surpised BA don't have a place to store the dead. Not that that makes it at all right. TBH, if I'd just paid £3,000+ for a ticket, I wouldn't expect to have a dead body put next to me, and I certainly wouldn't expect to be told to deal with it if I complained. I wouldn't expect either at any price.

Xaccers
19-03-2007, 16:53
Deal with it? Hmm.... *drags body into toilet and gets back to sleep*

danielf
19-03-2007, 17:50
Well lash the deceased to a toilet then and lock the door from the outside, unlike the Enterprise, I'm pretty sure 747's don't just have one loo.
I'd have thought they'd have a proper proceedure for such eventualities as these, like if less than X hours from departure point turn back unless the destination is closer to where the deceased needs to be, in which case get out a body bag and secure the deceased somewhere out of sight.
I can't believe it's "carry deceased into first class and find empty seat next to someone"

Agreed. It also seems very strange that they let the relatives (plural) into business class. If there was space for the deceased plus the relatives, you'd have thought it would have been possible to keep the relatives in cattle class, reseat some of the passengers and end up with an empty window and adjacent aisle seat. Then put the corpse in the window seat, so nobody has to sit next to it.

TheDaddy
19-03-2007, 22:10
Having seen how Virgin pack the living into a 747, and being assured that BA is worse, I am not surpised BA don't have a place to store the dead. Not that that makes it at all right. TBH, if I'd just paid £3,000+ for a ticket, I wouldn't expect to have a dead body put next to me, and I certainly wouldn't expect to be told to deal with it if I complained. I wouldn't expect either at any price.

At least your new travel companion is quiet, btw apparently this happens ten times a year on average, makes me wonder why no one else has complained before

Wicked_and_Crazy
19-03-2007, 22:23
I'd be dead against him getting a free upgrade

Xaccers
20-03-2007, 09:27
At least your new travel companion is quiet, btw apparently this happens ten times a year on average, makes me wonder why no one else has complained before

They probably have, it's just not been made public.

AndyCambs
20-03-2007, 10:03
They could have stuck it in the galley - no-one would have noticed...

RUSTY
20-03-2007, 14:44
and we are assuming the person has been embalmed or been well prepared if not the recent deceased are very capable of giving of disgusting noises ++ and it is to be hoped that they did not have any infectious diseases.all new to me, usual way is carry them in a quality lined casket in the hold.cannot see how this can happen and meet health and safety.

Xaccers
20-03-2007, 14:49
and we are assuming the person has been embalmed or been well prepared if not the recent deceased are very capable of giving of disgusting noises ++ and it is to be hoped that they did not have any infectious diseases.all new to me, usual way is carry them in a quality lined casket in the hold.cannot see how this can happen and meet health and safety.

She died shortly after takeoff

RUSTY
20-03-2007, 14:59
ok. did not spot that in the above posts.