PDA

View Full Version : Ambit 120 Modem

Cougarxiii
19-03-2007, 11:41
I know most people have had connection problems with their modems and have been advised to phone faults.
I was just wondering before I phone if anyone knows if the NTL Ambit 120 modem can manage the 10mb bradband speeds as mine seems to struggle sometimes.

Halcyon
19-03-2007, 11:55
No it can not handle 10Mb effectively.

Cougarxiii
19-03-2007, 12:40
Thanks for that Halcyon,
I will give the faults a ring when I get home tonight.

bigcat
19-03-2007, 12:47
No it can not handle 10Mb effectively.

Yes it can;)

As long as it has the correct firmware on it the Ambit 120 along with the Surfboard 4100 will quite happily run 10Mb:)

The only "issue" with the Ambit 120 is they sometimes suffer from an "iffy" ethernet port (the pins inside the ethernet port on some Ambit 120's were to long, therefore the RJ45 connector would not seat properly thus giving connection probs..)

Halcyon
19-03-2007, 13:47
It may be able to handle it, but I doubt it can perform at it's best.

Hex
19-03-2007, 16:04
It may be able to handle it, but I doubt it can perform at it's best.

Wrong, for almost a year my 120 handled 10mb perfectly, and any downloads from Usenet ran at full speed. Afaik the issue is not *if* they can handle it fine, they can, the question is how long for, it seems like the firmware "overclocks" it, metaphorically speaking, so they tend to develop faults and die faster. But this is just my observation.

dannyoneill
19-03-2007, 16:12
I beg to differ but the Ambit 120 doesnt work.

According to the ambit site it handles upto 10mbps and thats it, no more. So when they go 20mbps you will need an update anyway.

I have been running on the 4meg for year with no trouble but the moment i upgraded to 10 it went to crap, always dropping out when i do any major downloads or torrents. Web browsing not a problem, downloads would kill it needing a reboot or wait 10 mins for it to come back.

So I phoned NTL, they said "Yup, you have one of the old modems, they dont work with the faster lines, cant handle the speed" and 5 minutes ago a nice Virgin man just left after giving me a shiny new Ambit 255 and it works like a charm. Nice 11megabytes a sec according to speedtest.net

Hex
19-03-2007, 16:23
it went to crap, always dropping out when i do any major downloads or torrents. Web browsing not a problem, downloads would kill it needing a reboot or wait 10 mins for it to come back.

Aye, it's the same thing that happened to mine, but as I said, that happened several months after being upgraded from 3mb to 10mb. Before that, From the upgrade until that point, it ran perfectly.

Griffin
19-03-2007, 16:31
Aye, it's the same thing that happened to mine, but as I said, that happened several months after being upgraded from 3mb to 10mb. Before that, From the upgrade until that point, it ran perfectly.

I got the ambit 120 & it ran 10mb faultlessly for 6 months till i dropped back to a 4mb service. I also did quite a bit of downloading of linux distro's at the time so it had a thourough test.

Halcyon
19-03-2007, 16:43
I stand corrected.
I just knew a friend who had problems with his and it not working with 10mb.
It would often not perform very well.

I guess it does work for some people.

Cougarxiii
19-03-2007, 20:53
I was running 4mb no probs, it was only recently when I have changed to 10mb i have had problems, I phoned the faults tonight and they said there is a connection problem with the modem so a techie is coming out n thursday, so hopefully everything will be tickety boo then