PDA

View Full Version : Rapidshare etc - let's all complain to NTL

mojo
17-03-2007, 20:25
I'm sure a lot of other people are getting fed up of not being able to use RapidShare and other sites that identify you by your IP.

The issue is that NTL's proxies are seen instead of your real IP, and so you end up in massive download queues or not being able to download at all.

I have already complained to NTL about this. If more people complain, hopefully they will do something about it. It sounds like their proxies are mis-configured.

I suggest using the web feedback system, but also if possible please call. If you call during the day, wait times are low. Try reporting a fault maybe.

Paul K
17-03-2007, 20:30
Why not get the sites to code their tools properly instead of just accepting the proxy IP? Also complaining to NTL will get you nowhere, could always try VM instead though.

Bill C
17-03-2007, 20:54
Why not get the sites to code their tools properly instead of just accepting the proxy IP? Also complaining to NTL will get you nowhere, could always try VM instead though.

Fully agree its not Virgins fault that rapid share are to lazy to code there site correctly.

Gareth
17-03-2007, 20:59
Heh, I like RapidShare's explanation in their FAQ section...

Your system complaints about that I am already downloading files or that I have already downloaded too much. But I did not download anything! Whats wrong there?

Our system checks your IP-address in order to count the downloads. If you are getting this message and you really did not download anything, then you are using a proxy-server, which is used by other people as well. Even if you have no proxy-server set up in your configuration, there are many providers who force a transparent proxy-servers between you and the net. If you do not believe us, go to other pages telling you your IP-address (for example http://www.myipaddress.com.) But what can you do? You have to disable this proxy-server. If you are not able to disable the proxy-server, the only solution IS a Premium-account. Premium-users are recognized by cookies, not by IP-address. Unfortunately we cannot disable our IP-check, else people would download so much that we would have to close down this service completely. I hope you understand our situation in this matter.Heh, apparently the only solution is to pay for their premium service :rolleyes:

I rarely use RapidShare, but if there is something I do need from there I just switch my proxy, using the list in the Articles section, until I find one that does work.

Locky
17-03-2007, 21:31
the site does that for a reason not because "they are too lazy to code it properly" but this is how they are to sell premium accounts, if people could dl free to there hearts content how would they make any money ?

bilal
17-03-2007, 21:50
Any chance of virgin media removing the proxy servers as ex blueyonder users haven't got them. I assume they'd wanna get everyone on the same system:D

That seems the only solution to me.

mojo
17-03-2007, 22:59
It isn't down to bad programming.

The problem is that the "x-forwarded-for" header, which is used to determine your actual IP address when making a HTTP request through a proxy, is totally unreliable. There is no way to check that it isn't fake.

If RapidShare used the x-forwarded-for header instead of the IP of the host making the request, you could easily write a program or plug-in for Firefox which made requests with random IPs. You could then download as much and as often as you wanted to.

Web proxies are a nasty hack.

Paul
17-03-2007, 23:06
VM are slowly dropping the transparent proxies.

internetguy
17-03-2007, 23:37
rapidshare = **** so why bother complaining?

mojo
18-03-2007, 10:23
Internetguy: who would you suggest then? Megaupload and all the others are the same. RapidShare is fine for most stuff if you are no lumbered with a proxy.

Bill C
18-03-2007, 10:27
Internetguy: who would you suggest then? Megaupload and all the others are the same. RapidShare is fine for most stuff if you are no lumbered with a proxy.

Rapidshare will do nothing and the reason why. Its a scam to get you to pay for the paid version simple as that.

mpmc
18-03-2007, 17:29
VM are slowly dropping the transparent proxies.

Yup.. I have no proxy on 2meg.. I did when I had 10meg.

VeNoM
18-03-2007, 17:34
^hows it a scam when your gettin what you paid for

rapidshare has more or less anything you want on it

movies, tv shows, appz, pron, and a whole load of other stuff

but, i still prefer torrents to RS

SnoopZ
18-03-2007, 18:07
Yup.. I have no proxy on 2meg.. I did when I had 10meg.

On 10mbit in Cambridge CB4 and i've been proxyless for a few months now.

ferretuk
18-03-2007, 20:37

I'm on 10Mb in SG5 (Luton UBR) and seem to be proxy-less now - Not sure when it went :)

SnoopZ
18-03-2007, 20:40
I sometimes put myself back onto a proxy if my proxyless connection is slow.

Bill C
18-03-2007, 20:41
^hows it a scam when your gettin what you paid for

rapidshare has more or less anything you want on it

movies, tv shows, appz, pron, and a whole load of other stuff

but, i still prefer torrents to RS

Its a scam when

They know how to fix it but dont want to because they want you to use the paid for service.

They can fix it they just dont want to

US.M@JORHAZZARD
18-03-2007, 21:26

I'm in St Neots on the 10mb con and i'm running through cmbg-cache-5 proxy, be nice when they drop them all...

kristoficus
20-03-2007, 23:04
Megaupload actually gives me the option as to which IP it should detect - my browser IP or the transparent proxy IP. So clearly MegaUpload actually took time to code their site a bit better and are actually fair about it.

Rapidshare really are just crooks, coming up with those untrue excuses. If MegaUpload can do it, so can they...but that would lose RS money, so dont expect them to start coding properly :P

edit: Just read the x-forwarded...header thing - ahh well... MegaUpload still do it right though.

dev
20-03-2007, 23:19
It isn't down to bad programming.

The problem is that the "x-forwarded-for" header, which is used to determine your actual IP address when making a HTTP request through a proxy, is totally unreliable. There is no way to check that it isn't fake.

If RapidShare used the x-forwarded-for header instead of the IP of the host making the request, you could easily write a program or plug-in for Firefox which made requests with random IPs. You could then download as much and as often as you wanted to.

Web proxies are a nasty hack.

or they could use a port other than 80 for the IP checking?

this is a rapidshare problem, if you go through a proxy it will always have the proxy ip (if you ignore the x-forwarded-for header), there is nothing vm can do* unless they want to make their own internet :p:

* except disabling the proxies

k4021
28-03-2007, 22:42
It is possible to cheat the system by downloading a proxy server program so rapidshare thinks you have a different IP address. If you use the mozilla firefox like i do browser go to
http://mozmonkey.com/
download the switch proxy plugin for firefox. Then go to google type in "proxy server list" and copy and paste the details of some of the proxies into the switch proxy program. Then use the program to connect using some of these proxies and eventually you will get one that allows you to download stuff from rapideshare without waiting.
There are also other free proxy switching programs about if you look.

bilal
28-03-2007, 23:08
Well according to recent reports ntl are removing people the proxy servers slowly. Some areas have been removed but others are still to be removed. As soon as that happens all should be able to download of rapidshare at long last without having to switch to a different proxy :)

cimt
28-03-2007, 23:15
Depending on what I need to upload that is zipped, I just use www.uploadz.co.uk. It's alot easier for me to use, since Rapidshare never works for me.

tweetypie/8
29-03-2007, 11:53
I'm sure a lot of other people are getting fed up of not being able to use RapidShare and other sites that identify you by your IP.

The issue is that NTL's proxies are seen instead of your real IP, and so you end up in massive download queues or not being able to download at all.

I have already complained to NTL about this. If more people complain, hopefully they will do something about it. It sounds like their proxies are mis-configured.

I suggest using the web feedback system, but also if possible please call. If you call during the day, wait times are low. Try reporting a fault maybe.

to be honest i was having the same problem and was getting totally peeved with them,i contacted ntl several times about this issue and was getting fobbed off by them,now by some strange miracle since virgin came along i am doing ok with rapidshare is this a fluke ? :erm:

eth01
30-03-2007, 19:45
Hmmm.. At first i didnt quite understand your problem, after further reading i did. I don't personally use Rapidshare, but i can see it can be fustrating

bilal
30-03-2007, 20:02
http://www.chetnet.co.uk/portal/forum/showthread.php?p=56268#post56268

Look there. Further update is that from Tuesday all proxies servers except cardiff will be started to be switched off. Some have already been turned off (assuming they were testing) but looks like there about to ditch them all. Then we can all download from rapidshare at long last :)

barf0r
31-03-2007, 10:38
How do you find out if you are behind one of the proxies?

What was the purpose of them anyway? And why are they getting rid of them now?

mojo
31-03-2007, 18:00
Good news then, it is about time they ditched the proxies. I can understand why they would want them, but really if they want to decrease bandwidth requirements PeerCache is the way to go.