PDA

View Full Version : Can't Set Up SACM (DHCP Error)

chobb
16-03-2007, 09:38
Hi,

My mate is having problems setting up his broadband. He used to connect via his STB and an Ethernet/USB adapter, but now he's got a V+ box they've installed a SACM. He runs the CD and connects the Ethernet cable when prompted but it fails with Error Code 00.01.1E.003E and a message is displayed saying there is a problem with DHCP or a physical network problem. Before the error I can see the system tray network icon trying to acquire an IP address and then failing. Tech support had him releasing and renewing his IP but no joy. They said they couldn't help. Bless them.

ipconfig /all shows that he gets an IP address and a subnet mask of (I think) 255.255.0.0 but no default gateway, DNS servers etc.

We've restarted the SACM, then rebooted the PC several times. My next step is to use another PC to attempt the setup (which should give us some more clues) but meanwhile, can anyone throw any light on this?

Also, can anyone confirm that the initial setup is just to register the SACM on the network and that in future any PC connected will work?

Cheers.

red502
16-03-2007, 09:49
Sorry if you've already been over this, but does he have an IP blocker installed such as protowall or peerguardian? Have you tried disabling the firewall?

You shouldn't need the CD to setup ethernet AFAIK.

Try booting into safe mode with networking enabled as well.

Post on the BY newsgroup: blueyonder.support.access.hi-speed

They will have a good crack at fixing it.

chobb
16-03-2007, 10:29
Thanks for the prompt reply.

I don't think he has any blocking software and he only has Windows Firewall (I know) installed. I turned that off but no luck.

I should have clarified; he's with Virgin/NTL rather than Blueyonder.

That's a good idea about booting into safe mode. I'm assuming I should try to connect to autoreg.autoregister.net rather than using the CD (which I doubt would run in safe mode)?

Cheers, Paul

red502
16-03-2007, 10:52
That's a good idea about booting into safe mode. I'm assuming I should try to connect to autoreg.autoregister.net rather than using the CD (which I doubt would run in safe mode)?

Cheers, Paul

Yeh, you should go to https://autoreg.autoregister.net/ in safe mode.

You should be able to use any PC with your modem as long as you power off the SACM when changing PCs.

Are you connecting directly to the modem, do you use a router, are you connecting using an ethernet cable with no usb adapter?

chobb
16-03-2007, 12:34
He connects via an ethernet cable directly from the SACM to the Ethernet port on his PC. No router/bridge/hub involved.

I'll try connecting to https://autoreg.autoregister.net/ in Safe Mode. If that doesn't work I'm taking home a PC and I'll try that instead.

Thanks for the help.