PDA

View Full Version : Cable modem on/off?

BEDO
14-03-2007, 15:18
Just had cable installed. Is it OK to turn the modem off when I put the PC into hibernation on closing down for the night?
The reason I ask, I seem to remember reading somewhere that modems can go out of sync if turned off, and require about three days to sort themselves out.
I would appreciate some of your comments, many thanks.
Ron.

EdwardTobia
14-03-2007, 15:43
should be fine...

Halcyon
14-03-2007, 15:44
This used to be the case many years ago but now you can turn them off when you like. I've been away a whole month with it switched off before and it worked fine.

You can turn it off every night like I do or leave it on. It's up to you.

When you say put your PC into hibernation, I take it you mean sleep mode.
Most of the time, it is best to boot the PC from a totally off state after the modem is on so that it can configure itself with the modem, so just turn off the PC fully if you find it was giving you problems.

US.M@JORHAZZARD
14-03-2007, 16:59
Just outa curiosity why would you want to turn your cable modem OFF ?

Halcyon
14-03-2007, 17:12
Some people don't like leaving thing's on and plugged in when you go out.
Especially if it is new equipment and you havent had it on long, there is the slight fire risk, or just to not use electricity.

NoKnowledge
14-03-2007, 17:25
And to reduce your carbon footprint :D

BEDO
14-03-2007, 17:51
Thank you all for your replies.
I believe earlier versions of Windows used to call it sleep, but on XP it is called Hibernation, It's so much quicker than waiting for the PC to post. If I haven't rebooted for other reasons for a day or so, I do shut down & boot up.
Why do I want to turn the modem off? two of you have answered for me, being new it could have a s/c that might cause a problem, also any equipment that gets warm is a potential threat however remote.
Carbon footprint? No way, I do not subscribe to that theory.
Halcyon, I would of course turn the modem on before the PC either from bootup or hibernation, and thank you for explaining that things have altered regarding losing sync on modems, I was sure I had read something along those lines in the past, glad to know of the improvement.
Once again thank you all for the posts.
Ron.

Halcyon
14-03-2007, 18:22
Hope it all works out for you. Any problems, feel free to post again.
:welcome: to the forums by the way.

BEDO
15-03-2007, 12:12
Thanks for the welcome Halcyon. :tu:
Hope I don't have to worry you too often.:)
Ron.