PDA

View Full Version : New install. unable to connect

richgm
12-03-2007, 19:29
A Friend of mine has just been on the phone to me. He's come from BT to Virgin broadband. He has no web, no MSN, no steam etc...
Has tried Tech support and they say the problem is with his PC. He's able to ping BBC, Google and others but there is no browsing. Have tried autoreg to make sure he's registered but he can't load the page. His IP is 86.**.*.3 tried to release and renew it but it's not renewing (comes up with a DHCP error). He's connecting via NIC not USB.
Anyone any ideas?

Rich

Paul K
12-03-2007, 19:31
How is he connecting to the BB connection? Stand alone modem or STB? Has he got any proxies set up in his browser settings (connection tab) that might be interfering?

richgm
12-03-2007, 19:35
SACM (a 250 I belive).
It's not the proxies I went through that with him and used the same proxy on my comp to make sure it was ok. Only thing that seems to work is dos comands ping and tracert.

Paul K
12-03-2007, 20:08
Any firewalls installed? Take all proxy settings out completely for now.

richgm
12-03-2007, 20:20
All proxies are off. Only windows Firewall installed and thats turned off.
Tired in safe mode with network support and still got nothing.
I keep coming back to not being able to renew the IP. I think it's got to be connected somewhere.

richgm
14-03-2007, 15:09
Anyone any other ideas before we go down the format route ?

Halcyon
14-03-2007, 15:17
Have you checked device manager to see if there are any problems with the network card.

AndyCambs
14-03-2007, 15:23
Is he using a router?

richgm
14-03-2007, 17:29
No Conflicts in device manager. Nothing there at all from his days on adsl.
Not using a router.
It's got me stumped.
He only lives down the road from me so I'm going to take my modem and cat5 just to make sure it's not something that Tech support aren't picking up.
If that fails then i think it's format time.

Halcyon
14-03-2007, 17:35
Your modem will not work on his connection. It is bound to the specific house address.

richgm
14-03-2007, 17:48
Halcyon are you sure about that ?
I always thought the same but was reading somthing recently that said they are bound to and area and not a specific house. If I do try it would it break and T&C's? It is my modem and not Virgins.

Richy99
15-03-2007, 12:06
It is my modem and not Virgins.

its VM's modem not yours, you are just renting it

NTLVictim
15-03-2007, 12:58
"He's able to ping BBC, Google and others but there is no browsing"

DNS problem?

jem
15-03-2007, 14:23
"He's able to ping BBC, Google and others but there is no browsing"

DNS problem?

Only if he's pinging by IP address and not name. If he's pinging www.bbc.co.uk (http://www.bbc.co.uk) and getting a response then DNS has to be working to resolve the name. I suppose he could have the address entered in his hosts file but then web browsing to that address should also work.

If ipconfig /release is working and dropping the address but renew isn't working then I don't see how he can be pinging anything if he doesn't have a valid IP address. If he tracerts to www.bbc.co.uk (http://www.bbc.co.uk) do the packets actually go where he expects them to?

NTLVictim
15-03-2007, 14:52
Good point..more detail needed on the ping method?

Failure to obtain a new IP points to a DHCP problem as well.

richgm
15-03-2007, 16:26
Firstly Richy, It's my modem. Back when BB first started you could buy your own modem and pay £19.99 or rent it and pay £24.99. I brought my surfboard 3100 and it's never let me down (so far).
DHCP problem was my guess but I worked through Robin walkers guide and got nowhere. Can release the ip no problem but as I said it doesn't renew. It comes back with a DHCP error. Then if you reboot the original IP comes back.
I've also found a spare NIC that I can try in his Computer so may give that a go just so we can rule something else out. Will post when we get a result.

Edit* Ping is to "bbc.co.uk" not to the ip

richgm
16-03-2007, 20:10
Well problem is now solved. He spent one and a half hours on the phone to tech support again today. Got put through to a second-line ??? tech and they managed to sort his problem out. He told me what they went though and TBH it's not anything that we hadn't already tried so can only presume that they tweaked something from their end or sent some sort of hit to the modem.