PDA

View Full Version : 20Mbps by end of May?

JohnHorb
11-03-2007, 11:49
According to an article in Murdoch's Sunday Times, VM are rolling out 20MB broadband by the end of May. Being cynical, I suspect this is a ploy to get VM customers up in arms - 'I want it NOW!' Particularly as the rest of the article concentrates on the reasons VM users should switch to Sky, or ring 150 and demand compensation for the loss of Sky channels. At the start of the article, it states that the 20MB will cost an extra £2 per month. Only later does it add the proviso 'it is not clear if the extra £2 per month applies only to stand-alone broadband customers'.

bilal
11-03-2007, 12:00
Article is located http://business.timesonline.co.uk/tol/business/money/broadband/article1496438.ece

Nothing about 4mbit upgrade if there even is one :(

Bill C
11-03-2007, 12:17
This bit is wrong in oh so many ways

BT is planning to upgrade its broadband network to fibre-optics, but customers are unlikely to see any real benefits until 2008They are not and i will say it again they are not doing fibre to the home for a long long time.

I think they are trying to use CN21 as a excuse for that statement, CN21 is about switches and networks not about the last mile of speaker wire.

Adsl and Adsl2+ will soon be left way behind by the next Generation of cable modems being tested at this very moment in Ashford.

---------- Post added at 12:17 ---------- Previous post was at 12:12 ----------

Article is located http://business.timesonline.co.uk/tol/business/money/broadband/article1496438.ece

Nothing about 4mbit upgrade if there even is one :(

And you think that advert for Sky would tell you that :rolleyes:

Tezcatlipoca
11-03-2007, 12:45
Hmm. More of an advert for Sky than a news story about VM.

Of course, it is in the Funday Times.

However, critics have branded it a marketing gimmick because all but the most sophisticated users will notice little difference between the new speed and that of Sky, which is 16Mb for its top package.

up to 16mbps, UP TO. Dependent on line length & quality. e.g. I only get ~8-9mbps.

If I was in a VM area still, & 20mbps got rolled out, I'm sure I'd see a bloody difference between a 20mbps cable broadband connection, & "up to" 16mbps ADSL2+.

Nikesh
11-03-2007, 12:57
If you are happy to stick with Virgin, you should still demand compensation for the loss of the Sky channels. Either dial 150 from your Virgin Media landline or call 0800 052 9403.

How cheeky is that from Sky? :mad:

xspeedyx
11-03-2007, 13:21
sky are scared now. VM are competetion, So I wonder what will happen even more now with 20 mbps been confirmed I cant wait

---------- Post added at 13:21 ---------- Previous post was at 13:19 ----------

How cheeky is that from Sky? :mad:

I like this post

Hom3r
11-03-2007, 13:29
20Mb by June :D

50Mb by December?:disturbd:

120Mb in 18 Months :drool: :drool:

I'm staying with VM, I'ld rather have a 120Mb connecionover $ky 1 any day

JohnHorb
11-03-2007, 13:33
120MB - where did that come from? Link? I heard they were testing 50, though.

Nikesh
11-03-2007, 13:34
20Mb by June :D

50Mb by December?:disturbd:

120Mb in 18 Months :drool: :drool:

I'm staying with VM, I'ld rather have a 120Mb connecionover $ky 1 any day

Yeah I wish! Can't see it happening though... :(

To be honest I wouldn't mind just having 2Mb down 2Mb up.

Paul
11-03-2007, 15:08
At the start of the article, it states that the 20MB will cost an extra £2 per month. Only later does it add the proviso 'it is not clear if the extra £2 per month applies only to stand-alone broadband customers'.As far as I can see, if you want the 20M you will pay £2 extra.

I don't understand the last bit - what is a "stand-alone" BB customer ?

Nikesh
11-03-2007, 15:10
I don't understand the last bit - what is a "stand-alone" BB customer ?

I think it's if you are just a broadband customer - which doesn't really make sense?

Or it's if you have a stand-alone cable modem for broadband...?

JohnHorb
11-03-2007, 17:54
Why does 'stand-alone BB customer' = 'just a broadband customer' not make sense? I assume the doubt is whether the £2 will apply to bundles.

Hom3r
11-03-2007, 18:00
I would assume that "stand alone BB customer" means that they dont have TV or phone.

banjo
11-03-2007, 18:03
I really can't believe what is be said in this thread Vm are on their knees, it can't supply 10mb the whole system is stretched to breaking point, remember the T&C "up to" . Please tell me that you are all joking and this is a wind up :)

Paul
11-03-2007, 18:16
I really can't believe what is be said in this thread Vm are on their knees, it can't supply 10mb the whole system is stretched to breaking point, remember the T&C "up to" . Please tell me that you are all joking and this is a wind up :)

It can supply 10M around here just nicely - try not to confuse problems in a few areas with the whole country. ;)

We also know that they are continuing to upgrade their network as part of the 20M rollout. However, there will always be problem areas, esp some of the poor networks they inherited years ago.

Gordon_30
11-03-2007, 18:21
I have also had no problems with the 10meg in my area and that has been 15 months since I upgraded

Roll On 20meg

Hom3r
11-03-2007, 18:24
I have also had no problems with the 10meg in my area and that has been 15 months since I upgraded

Roll On 20meg

Sod 20 Give me 120Mb:disturbd:

Maggy
11-03-2007, 18:35
Sod 20 Give me 120Mb:disturbd:

Ahhhh! The Sky ploy is working I see.:D

banjo
11-03-2007, 18:37
So none of you have seen the threads about poor speeds all over the country, and from what has been said it is $od you I'm all right from those that can get a page to load in under 30 seconds, oh, and I have just had to reboot the modem as it had locked up yet again, wonderful.

Maggy
11-03-2007, 18:59
Then please by all means moan but moan to VM.Or leave and go to Sky or BT.

I have issues with my connection from time to time but I don't come here and moan about it EVERY time.I also don't chime into every thread about it either.I accept that from time to time things technical are bound to fail.

Or if you are going to moan please moan in the older established threads about it instead of chiming in with new threads or into threads that are nothing to do with your problem and hijack them.:erm:

Stuart
11-03-2007, 19:00
So none of you have seen the threads about poor speeds all over the country, and from what has been said it is $od you I'm all right from those that can get a page to load in under 30 seconds, oh, and I have just had to reboot the modem as it had locked up yet again, wonderful.

It's not that way at all. Virgin's Cable network is made up of hundreds (possibly thousands) of smaller networks, all built by different companies. The simple fact is that in some areas, the networks have coped better with the demands of high speed broadband. This may be due to the quality of installation initially, the quality of maintenance after, or the number of heavy users on the system.

So, the simple fact (regardless of the impression gained from forums such as this) is that some people do get good service. Some don't.

Downloads
11-03-2007, 19:02
It's not that way at all. Virgin's Cable network is made up of hundreds (possibly thousands) of smaller networks, all built by different companies. The simple fact is that in some areas, the networks have coped better with the demands of high speed broadband. This may be due to the quality of installation initially, the quality of maintenance after, or the number of heavy users on the system.

So, the simple fact (regardless of the impression gained from forums such as this) is that some people do get good service. Some don't.

And just because people moan on here, doesn't mean it's widespread.

homealone
11-03-2007, 19:11
And just because people moan on here, doesn't mean it's widespread.

Even with 25000 members CF only represents approx 1% of VM subscribers, so even if we were all getting poor speeds (and we're not), it still wouldn't be that significant.

If the problems were as widespread as implied, I'm sure larger numbers of people would be doing more than just moaning on a forum ;)

banjo
11-03-2007, 19:12

I respect what you say Stuart and I am sure you are right about some areas but I do not think I am in one of these poor areas. I used to have a reasonable connection speed but know it is up and down like a whores draws, more down than up :angel: Oh, and I am not moaning on a forum, I am talking on a forum which is what they are for !

pk1209
11-03-2007, 19:53
I phoned up to see if I could half the price of my 10mb package (after being inspired by this forum!) and the nice man did just that for 12 months, and told me in May I'd have 20mb for the same price. w00t.

Tezcatlipoca
11-03-2007, 20:22
Just noticed this bit from the article:

Virgin Media said it will allow its TV customers, and those with both TV and broadband, to cancel their contracts during March without having to pay off the full term.

However, this offer does not apply to customers who have subscribed to broadband services only.

Well, of course it doesn't.

If a Virgin Media customer only subscribes to Virgin Media for broadband, then the loss of the Sky channels from Virgin Media's cable TV service isn't going to affect them & make them want to cancel, is it?! :rolleyes:

Bill C
11-03-2007, 20:28
Just noticed this bit from the article:

Well, of course it doesn't.

If a Virgin Media customer only subscribes to Virgin Media for broadband, then the loss of the Sky channels from Virgin Media's cable TV service isn't going to affect them & make them want to cancel, is it?! :rolleyes:

All i see when i see these adverts from News International papers is

:hyper:SKY Getting Worried :hyper::D:D

Locky
11-03-2007, 22:04
as fvor 20 meg, what is the upload ? they can NOT get away with 768k for £37 a month when it is rolled ot, be pro 2.5 meg upload (upto) for £40...

AndyIggs83
11-03-2007, 22:15
as fvor 20 meg, what is the upload ? they can NOT get away with 768k for £37 a month when it is rolled ot, be pro 2.5 meg upload (upto) for £40...
Thats a totally different network though

If your so unhappy why not go to them?

Locky
11-03-2007, 22:18
i know it is a different network i aint stupid, i am not unhappy with my service just amazed how be can offer that for £40 a month and virgin media are jst about to upgrade us to 20 meg with a 768k upload, for £37, jus seems a bit stupid on virgin medias part

Bill C
11-03-2007, 22:22
i know it is a different network i aint stupid, i am not unhappy with my service just amazed how be can offer that for £40 a month and virgin media are jst about to upgrade us to 20 meg with a 768k upload, for £37, jus seems a bit stupid on virgin medias part

It has a lot to do with how the UBR's handle upload.

From experience of the Virgin network i can say Don't expect the upload to increase :(

AndyIggs83
11-03-2007, 22:22

But i'd rather have a slower upload speed than them increasing it too much and the network coming to a standstill!

If BE is available in your area and you want quicker upload speeds then go for it :tu:

Bill C
11-03-2007, 22:28
But i'd rather have a slower upload speed than them increasing it too much and the network coming to a standstill!

Agreed. Because that is what will happen. Lets face it the main reason users want a increased upload is for Torrents. Torrents by there very nature can be damaging to a network, so why would Virgin want to create yet another congestion problem.

Locky
11-03-2007, 22:31
i would want to upload to usenet, not realy torrents, the 768k is silly 1.5 wud be great !! 1 wud be good enuf, i dont want to swap been with ntl for many many years, always been happy with my service jus want a bit more upload, that is all

Rik
11-03-2007, 22:38
I really can't believe what is be said in this thread Vm are on their knees, it can't supply 10mb the whole system is stretched to breaking point,

LOL

VM on their knees!
Give me a break, my connection here is flying at the moment downloading a *Linux ISO* ;) at 1.18MB/s!

The Cable Modem is itching, just itching to be let loose and download at twice that speed.

Cmon Richard upgrade me to 20MB ya bugger! :D :D

AndyIggs83
11-03-2007, 22:38
i would want to upload to usenet, not realy torrents, the 768k is silly 1.5 wud be great !! 1 wud be good enuf, i dont want to swap been with ntl for many many years, always been happy with my service jus want a bit more upload, that is all

Loyalty means nothing these days, if you want more upload speed to transfer your pirate material then go with BE, i've heard good things about them :tu:

Hex
11-03-2007, 22:39
Was talking with a friend who is a manager in VM the other day, (In the telecoms/tv area not the broadband mind, but he knows the "other guys over there") and he says that they do one day want to offer synchronous connections (1:1 Download:Upload rates) and says they are "working on it" but don't expect to see it for the next few years at least.
If they don't drop it completely that is.

slowcoach
11-03-2007, 22:41
We have BE in the local exchange here but I can still only get 2 meg, or 1/12 of the advertised “up to” speed, so is BE on it's knees.
Luckily I ditched ADSL long ago so now I enjoy 10 meg of the VM advertised “up to” speed.

AndyCambs
11-03-2007, 22:44
I think you're more likely to get closer to the advertised "upto" speed with Vm than any of the ADSL suppliers. They might advertise "upto 24MB", but if in reality you can't get much more than 2MB, there's not much point in it. Where I am, I could only get around 2MB on ADSL - on Virgin Media, I generally get just short of 4MB on the Large package.

Locky
11-03-2007, 22:48
Loyalty means nothing these days, if you want more upload speed to transfer your pirate material then go with BE, i've heard good things about them :tu:

how do you know it is pirate material ? even if it is what does it have to do with you ? and yeah i also heard good things but will stick with cable for the nex few months see what becomes of 20 meg :)

gayboy-ds
11-03-2007, 23:55
I would say that VM needs to play catch up on upload speeds. NTL used to be the choice ISP of hardcore PC enthusiasts and gamers, but this will soon dry up further if they don't get competitive on upload too. I can actually see 120 Mbs comming in 18 months:

http://www.cableforum.co.uk/article/236/ntl-in-secret-100mbps-trials

My contract is soon to expire with Orange and I sent a email today to Be* Broadband when they would be releasing O2 Broadband, and they said very soon and if I was an existing O2 customer, I could contact their retentions department! Which I would assume they can already do you a deal.

I have seen a deal today on Dial-a-phone for a "free" PS3 costing £179.99 on a £35 p/m contract and a Nokia 6300 which aint too shabby either. I wouldn't mind paying up to an extra £10 for unlimited 24 Mbs broadband on top of my mobile contract.

My XBL account can cope with around 388 Kbs on my horrid Orange broadband which its download speeds change it's mind all the time like David Cameron!

Locky
12-03-2007, 20:29
It has a lot to do with how the UBR's handle upload.

From experience of the Virgin network i can say Don't expect the upload to increase :(

i missed this post before, what if they was to upgrade the ubr's ? or would that cost way to much ?

homealone
12-03-2007, 21:39
i missed this post before, what if they was to upgrade the ubr's ? or would that cost way to much ?

In my experience, if Bill says summat ain't gonna happen, where it comes to the network, then it is extremely unlikely it will ;)

- and I think you are correct that the cost of replacing kit in the ubrs & headends is prohibitive, at the moment :)

lordy
12-03-2007, 21:48
how do you know it is pirate material ? even if it is what does it have to do with you ? and yeah i also heard good things but will stick with cable for the nex few months see what becomes of 20 meg :)

So you accuse people of lying through their teeth for wanting to call VM retentions using Talk Talk prices as leverage, and then post 'uploads' to usenet. Very consistent.

jcw00
12-03-2007, 22:11

Have a look at the news section on virginmedia.com

Locky
12-03-2007, 23:14
So you accuse people of lying through their teeth for wanting to call VM retentions using Talk Talk prices as leverage, and then post 'uploads' to usenet. Very consistent.

i fail to see your point ?

---------- Post added at 23:14 ---------- Previous post was at 23:13 ----------

Was talking with a friend who is a manager in VM the other day, (In the telecoms/tv area not the broadband mind, but he knows the "other guys over there") and he says that they do one day want to offer synchronous connections (1:1 Download:Upload rates) and says they are "working on it" but don't expect to see it for the next few years at least.
If they don't drop it completely that is.

yeah this will be years off, maybe 7 or 8 years yet if not more

Hex
12-03-2007, 23:20
yeah this will be years off, maybe 7 or 8 years yet if not more

Perhaps, but at least we know they are actually working towards it.

DarkGashX
13-03-2007, 03:21
I still say VM should make standard packages and power packages, power packages being £5-£10 a month extra for a bigger upload. I doubt they will listen... Yes I'm talking to you RB if your reading :p.

Bill C
13-03-2007, 07:06

I think you will find most of the money going forward will be spent on the next generation kit being tested now in Ashford . ;)