PDA

View Full Version : Reconnect after windows fresh instal

Chorlton
10-03-2007, 13:25
I'm sure this has been asked before, but I can't seem to find the relevant thread. My daughter's computer died and the only way to revive it was a fresh instal (local repair shop). Everything's up and running apart from the internet. She's connected by set top box and USB and the only discs we have are for cable modem (CM on the front - that was what was sent to her when she requested a CD for her new PC). I suspect that the method is very straightforward and would be very grateful if anyone can give me a quick idiots guide

Thanks

Hex
10-03-2007, 17:57
If it's going to be run via USB, you'll need to run the driver cd, during the install it should ask if you are using a set-top box or stand alone cable modem (SACM). This is because the USB requires extra drivers. If on the other hand you can run it via Ethernet, it's a simple matter of plug it straight in and your done, no cd required.

MovedGoalPosts
10-03-2007, 18:00
hmm, without the CD drivers for the USB you may have some difficulty. I assume this is an adaptor which fits to the end of a standard ethernet cable? Can you post the make / model of the adaptor and the operating system you are using. We may be able to find the drivers you need.

Alternatively does the PC have an ethernet card? If so use that not the USB. Make sure the STB has been powered off, connect everything up, repower, and hopefully when you try to use the internet you'll get taken to the ntl:start page, where you'll need to register the PC again (use the details of the account originally supplied to you).

nicke261192
10-03-2007, 18:09
Lets not forget VM dont support USB connections now so you cant get help or a cd. I would suggest getting an ethernet card they are fairly cheap now

Chorlton
10-03-2007, 19:56
Thanks for all the suggestions. I have managed to sort the problem by downloading the driver from the Virgin media site on my machine and then running it on hers - worked a treat and connected immediately. I agree about ethernet being best but I don't know if she's got a card. I'll have to check and see and maybe swap it over for her. What's the easiest way of finding out if an ethernet card is fitted without opening it up, and can I just remove the 'dongle' or whatever it is and plug straight into the ethernet card?

Thanks again for all the help