PDA

View Full Version : Happy at last with new Ambit 255

kq501
10-03-2007, 12:22
I have always had the highest available broadband package with ntl/vm, and the whole time I've had an ambit 120, I've never been entirely happy with 10 meg, I always seemed to get high speeds but it had trouble mantaining them, with the modem cutting out regularly at high speeds.

Ever since Virgin took over I've been getting ridiculously slower speeds for surfing and dling, lucky if I was getting 5mg. On Thurs I called India, the lady did relavant tests and said that my modem was cutting out the higher the speeds so she arranged for a technician to come out this morning.

The guy came prompt and straight away just changed my modem. he was firstly going to give me the Ambit 250, but he asked me if i really needed a USB connection on a modem, which I didn't, so instead gave me the newer ambit 255.

I asked, naively, if the Ambit 120 had a problem with higher speeds to which he said "yes, they were never designed to really go above 2-4 meg", he claimed the newer modem would be able to handle the proposed 50 meg broadband which he was told about this week at a virgin media meeting with his superiors.

The next question I already new the answer to, but I asked him why they didn't upgrade older modems to which he replied, "cost".

The 255 seems very stable. Extremely fast surfing and very quick with torrents. It maximised my connection straight away with a well seeded torrent. General internet downloads seem the exact opposite, but it's only been a couple of hours since he replaced it, so i'm gonna turn it off for a bit to see if that helps. Speed tests show that I am as nearly as fast as 10 meg will allow.

Hope this is of interest to anyone.

KQ

PS. May I add that it was only until I got someone from India that a technician was sent out, both occasions when i got thru to someone in Wales they tried fobbing me off to another dept were I was left on hold for an age and finally hung up on both occasions.