PDA

View Full Version : Ebay and Hotmail login trouble

Munzy
10-03-2007, 10:27
Hi there

I have not been able to login to ebay or hotmail since yesterday. I can get to the login page but not any further.
I have 3 computers linked to a network and have tried everything: modem direct to one computer, virus scans (3 bloody hours!!!) spyware removal, winsock repairs(?)... to no good.
Phoned Virgin help and it is a problem at their end and they are apparently on the case and hopefully fixed some time today (Saturday 10th) just incase you had the same problem and it was driving you nuts to!

Cheers

Munzy

avid.merrion
10-03-2007, 10:33
if it's only one the two sites try another proxy server, although if it's all sites you could be suffering from to many people on your UBR like I am

anyhow if your not sure about trying another proxy try this

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/doesyourheadin/slow.htm

Nikesh
10-03-2007, 10:34
Hotmails working for me... :)

bonzoe
10-03-2007, 10:34
No problems logging in here to both hotmail and ebay.

Proxy problem? Have you tried another proxy?

Edit: beaten to it!

JohnHorb
10-03-2007, 10:35
Is the OP north of the border? See link to Service Status 2 at the foot of this page - as stated in post 1, it is a known fault.

Munzy
10-03-2007, 10:44
Thanks for the quick replies, this is one fast fourm!:)

Yeah I'm in Scotland John, I just phoned a couple of friends and they are in the same boat. Just going to wait and try latter hoping for a fix.

Cheers

Munzy

simbr
10-03-2007, 12:25
If you're in Scotland you may be on the Edin proxies which are old Inktomis that tend to be flaky at the best of times and are the first in line when ebay/hotmail/yahoo logins decide to throw a wobbler.

Graham M
10-03-2007, 12:41
If you're in Scotland you may be on the Edin proxies which are old Inktomis that tend to be flaky at the best of times and are the first in line when ebay/hotmail/yahoo logins decide to throw a wobbler.

SSL (Port 443) isn't proxied.

JohnHorb
10-03-2007, 14:25
Just to confirm my earler post - from the staus page:-

Ticket
Ticket Number433975Time Stamp08/03/2007 23:07 PriorityP1StatusUpdatedDepartmentblueyonder Technical SupportEstimated Time Fix4 hoursCustomers AffectedBroadband Internet, Dial Up InternetRaised ByBernadette RocheDetailed DescriptionCustomers throughout Scotland may currently be unable to access secure webpages through their Virgin Media Broadband Internet. This may include sites such as Webmail, any online e-mail accounts and Online Banking services. Our engineers are currently investigating this issue.

Virgin Media would like to apologise for any inconvenience caused.

[Edit] Apologies for the formatting - cut and paste not working too well!
- Virgin Media Technical Support

Updates

Last ModifiedNameCustomers AffectedEstimated TimeStatusPriority10/03/2007 12:03 Bernadette Roche Broadband Internet, Dial Up Internet 4 hours Updated P1 Detailed Description Our engineers are still investigating this issue. Further updates will be posted, as they become available. Virgin Media would like to apologise for any inconvenience caused.

Virgin Media technical support
Last ModifiedNameCustomers AffectedEstimated TimeStatusPriority09/03/2007 15:00 Colin Thornton Broadband Internet, Dial Up Internet 4 hours Updated P1 Detailed Description Our engineers are still investigating this issue. Further updates will be posted, as they become available. Virgin Media would like to apologise for any inconvenience caused.

Virgin Media technical support

Numenor
10-03-2007, 16:45
Im just east of Glasgow and having the same problems, started yesterday.

I couldn't log into Messenger, had trouble uploading any data to sites, could'nt log into Ebay.

Its a bit better now, but BB still seems jittery!

jamie_
11-03-2007, 22:19
Scotland - Problems been present since noon 080307 for me. I was told on 2 occasions the problem would be remedied. On the 3rd occasion I was told there was no problem. Till I kindly pointed out my previous 2 calls and the details on there own status page. Which were slow to appear I might add

As a short term fix that works for me drop my mtu settings to 1220 using tcp optimizer..downloaded from speednet
1) Run
2) Select custom settings
3) Put 1220 in MTU box
4) Ok
5) Reboot

Hope this helps :)

purplehez
12-03-2007, 10:35
Thanks, Jamie, I tried that and it's worked. :)

Stuart
12-03-2007, 10:40
SSL (Port 443) isn't proxied.

Not by properly configured and functioning proxies..

jamie_
12-03-2007, 20:37
Hi ive just added the additional fix re webcache
Scotland - Problems been present since noon 080307 for me. I was told on 2 occasions the problem would be remedied. On the 3rd occasion I was told there was no problem. Till I kindly pointed out my previous 2 calls and the details on there own status page. Which were slow to appear I might add

As a short term fix that works for me drop my mtu settings to 1220 using tcp optimizer..downloaded from speednet
1) Run
2) Select custom settings
3) Put 1220 in MTU box
4) Ok
5) Reboot

Hope this helps and please read below :)

Please note The webcache did work for me for everything (secure sites webmail etc) except windows live messenger
addy i was given on friday 090307 was webcache.blueyonder.co.uk using port 8080. So ive opted to go with the mtu settings for now
1 .if you opt for the webcahe fix on internet explorer Click tools
2. select internet options
3 click connection tab
4 click lan settings
5. Put a check in automatically detect settings
6. Put a check in use a proxy server
7. Type webcahe.blueyonder.co.uk in address box
8. port box type 8080
9. put a check in bypass proxy server for local address box
10. click ok
11. click ok again

And god forbid should they ever fix this bizzare problem, remember and uncheck the boxes etc eg (automatically detect setting blah blah)
Or revert your mtu settings back to original values :)

m8internet
12-03-2007, 22:49
It's been like this since Thursday morning
I've not been able to do anything on my VM connection, and have been using my XDA ever since
Browsing at 14.4kbps GPRS is basic, but SLOW!

unable to access secure websites scotland (http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/12/33610068-unable-to-access-secure-websites-scotland.html)

Numenor
13-03-2007, 10:14
Mines has been fine from yesterday! No problems now.

simbr
13-03-2007, 15:50
I know secure sites aren't proxied, however there's been problems with the login to some sites like ebay and yahoo previously regardless, always on inktomi servers, and presumably because while the login page itself is secure the login process switches between secure and unsecure pages.

Regardless, if you are telewest users in Scotland then the above is academic as there is/was a known fault (see the other thread).

ArmyGroo
10-10-2008, 06:38
I solved this problem by checking

start --> Run services.msc

A program I installed recently added a hidden proxy server. Check the services and disable anything related to proxies. Unless you set something up yourself then it is not needed.