PDA

View Full Version : fobbed off by CS over speed isues

Monty...!!!
09-03-2007, 21:43
Over a week ago now i was upgraded to the vip package including 10 meg bb.
As of yet an engineer as been out and changed the modem and i have made numerous calls to tech support and feel ime getting fobbed off now they are saying its my antivirus causing the slow browsing and download speed this is just one of many excuses i have been given I am sick of it now my old 4 meg was better than this and if it wasnt for the hasle of getting a bt line installed i would cancel the pack as its a waste of time its so slow and i cant download nothing above 35kb
Please can anyone help ime at my wits end :Yikes:

NTLVictim
10-03-2007, 08:38
Antivirus? they tried that on me once, the bloke caved in when I told him I was using AVG, because that's what he was using!

What AV are you using?

Paul K
10-03-2007, 09:13
I take it you have disproved the theory by disabling or removing the AV as there have been cases of some AV and firewall software having a detrimental affect on speeds if things go wrong even slightly in the setup.

Web-Junkie
10-03-2007, 11:26
How can 4meg be running fine then suddenly when you get 10meg your AV suddenly panics and starts limiting your speed? That sounds like a load of cobblers to me!

I was on 4meg then got 10meg and now experience wildly fluctuating speeds, so VM are saying this is the fault of an AV product that works fine with the 4meg service? So where do I get a 10meg version of Norton AV then as I seem to be running the 4meg version with a 10meg line :rolleyes:

slowcoach
10-03-2007, 12:15
My system had an on-board gigabit Ethernet chip (LAN) and a 10/100 PCI network card (ntl), running 3 meg no problems but when I went to 10 meg performance was dire.

I switched over to the gigabit connection and got full speed, thinking that perhaps the PCI nic was failing I installed another, exactly same card I had spare, performance went back to being dire again.

It was as if no matter what settings I made to the PCI card it ran at 10 megabits when connected to ntl.
This is especially queer as when the original network cards were used as a LAN they gave full 100 megabit performance.

I went to the shop and bought a cheap gigabit card, installed it and the ntl performance was full whack immediately and has been ever since.

Monty...!!!
10-03-2007, 14:10
Thanks for the replys i use avg free edition av and once i get my speed problems sorted i will conect my router back up wich as a built in firewall but i am not using it at the moment the modem is direct to my pc via a lan cable ime goin to get a gigabit card this afternoon. Will i have to get them to re-hit me ping me or whatever if i change the card ile see see how that goes thanks guys

Monty...!!!
12-03-2007, 18:43
fitted a new gigabit card still no good engineer coming out again aghhhhh
god this is driving me nuts

Nevermind1994
12-03-2007, 18:47
load windows up in "safe mode with networking" (F8) then do a speed test.

Monty...!!!
12-03-2007, 18:52
i have done this and get 9.43Mbs then restart the computer back in normal mode ad its down to abt 3Mbs ntl india told me then its my antivirus

Toto
12-03-2007, 18:57
load windows up in "safe mode with networking" (F8) then do a speed test.

Best advice here.

I know what I am talking about, or thought I did when I told the indian gentleman that dropping into safe mode with networking will not make the blindest difference.........how WRONG was I, jumped from 3Mb to 9Mb in an instance.

Don't know what caused it, but it was some sort of network component.

Of course you may just have a local issue, but exhaust the obious avenues first.

---------- Post added at 18:57 ---------- Previous post was at 18:55 ----------

i have done this and get 9.43Mbs then restart the computer back in normal mode ad its down to abt 3Mbs ntl india told me then its my antivirus

May not be your AV, you could have some other network reliant program running, such as P2P software, or a dodgy firewall.?

NTLVictim
12-03-2007, 19:10
Please tell me you haven't got windows firewall running.....

richgm
12-03-2007, 19:50
I used Zone Alarm security suite. It halved my connection speed. Turning it off didn't make any difference. Had to uninstall it to get my speed back.

Nevermind1994
12-03-2007, 20:24

Ok so you have isolated that its a problem with your computer and not your connection, your next step is to see what it is.....

Go to Start - Run - Then type Msconfig .... This will then load up the system configuration utilty, in here there are 5 tabs. Go to the 6th tab along called Startup. Use the button at the bottom that says disable all this will stop programs starting up with windows. Apply these settings, click ok and restart your machine. Once this is done do another speed test.

From here there are 2 options that rely on the speed test you just did;

1. Your connection is still slow, this means that its not any of these programs causing it, and you need to start disabling more stuff.

OR

2. Your connection is faster. This means that it is one of these disabled programs that is causing the slowness.

Follow these next instructions depending on the result.

If you answered 1 you need to go to Start- Run- Then type Msconfig. When this loads up go to the 5th tab along this time called services. Tick the box at the bottom called Hide all Microsoft Services, and disable all remaining items. Apply these settings restart your machine again and do another speed test.

If you answered 2 you need to go through all of your currently disabled programs and start one at a time and do a speed test after each one. This may take a little while depending on how computer literate you are but it will give good results if followed correctly.
Here is a tip; Go to Start -Run - Type in here regedit on the left you will have a list of folders. First right make sure each of the folders are collapsed (use the - Icon next to them). Now Expand
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE > Software > Microsoft > Shared Tools > MSConfig > startupreg.
In here will be all the programs that you disabled, when you click on them the information will load up on the right. If you double click on the command key it will load up the command used for this startup in a little box. Now copy the highlighted text in this box into the Start - Run box. Do this for each of the folders in here and do a speed test after each one to isolate the program that is causing the problem. Once you know which one it is you can either disable this program in the MSConfig window under the Startup Tab. Or if its a firewall then it can be configured correctly to allow your connection to pass through.

Sorry this post looks so long winded, its actually quite a quick process but this little tutorial was made for inexperienced users. Post your results here after and if it is a software issue its 100% fixable.

JadeFalcon
12-03-2007, 20:30
double check that two firewalls are not running ... i.e windows hasnt turned on the firewall because of new connection reason ? or maybe a new network card or have you gone from usb to ethernet ?

also a turned off firewall is not really off ;)

Cougarxiii
13-03-2007, 13:12
I am reading this and also getting ideas (hope you all don't mind) to try and get faster speeds, as I too have just had the 10mbps installed, does it make the speeds better by getting a gigabit network card and also is windows builtin firewall not a good thing to use?

Monty...!!!
13-03-2007, 22:47
Engineer as been out today and was talking to someone on the phone he said the modem had not been configured correctly by vm 10 mins later blazing 9.4 meg on my speed tests if only they had done that in the first place would have saved me having 2 half days off work goto phone them again tomorrow as they have billed me wrong ive been with cable since they started years ago ime ready to tell them to bog it off.

Thanks for all your replys and help guys...Monty

Mr Angry
13-03-2007, 22:50
Engineer as been out today and was talking to someone on the phone he said the modem had not been configured correctly by vm 10 mins later blazing 9.4 meg on my speed tests if only they had done that in the first place would have saved me having 2 half days off work goto phone them again tomorrow as they have billed me wrong ive been with cable since they started years ago ime ready to tell them to bog it off.

Thanks for all your replys and help guys...Monty

Remember to switch off your plasma TV at night!