PDA

View Full Version : Unable to access secure websites Scotland

not a techie
09-03-2007, 14:20
Hi,

I come here in desperation! Since Wednesday night (7 March) I haven't been able to access some secure website pages. Virgin's service status is showing a ticket opened on 8/3/07 at 23.07, but no update as of now. My main problem is that I can't login to Ebay, Heart Internet, or some other https pages. I can access my bank accounts on secure sites so it appears to be only some pages. When I try to login to Ebay I get a dialog box to open a DLL file?

Have tried Virgin help, still waiting for an answer. Before I realised this could be an ISP issue I checked the firewall (Norton), system restore, cleared cookies & cache several times, and even changed the DNS address as suggested in another forum. Nothing worked, so I'm hoping it is just a Virgin issue and not something else!

Can anyone please advise if/how I can get round this meantime? Very grateful for any suggestions.

KM

Graham M
09-03-2007, 14:44
Check that a proxy hasn't been set in your browser settings that could be accidentally overriding the HTTPS port

not a techie
09-03-2007, 15:01
Using Firefox, no proxy. Same problem with IE though, so it doesn't appear to be a browser issue. Thanks for suggestion though, I'm in despair so will try anything. Last resort could be to use a dial up via another ISP, would this be worth a try?

simbr
10-03-2007, 12:29
There's a fault up on the service status page for Telewest

http://status2.virginmedia.com/vmstatus/serviceissue.do;jsessionid=7AF520EC9DDD3CCB21CF623 6EDCB6C08.jsps304p:28009?ticket=433975

Customers throughout Scotland may currently be unable to access secure webpages through their Virgin Media Broadband Internet. This may include sites such as Webmail, any online e-mail accounts and Online Banking services. Our engineers are currently investigating this issue.

notatechie2
10-03-2007, 16:57
Hi simbr, I saw the Virgin message just after the ticket was opened and have been keeping my eye on it since - it's still not fixed. I really appreciate your reply though, if I hadn't found out I might still be tearing my hair out.

Fingers crossed it is a server problem and nothing else, when it eventually gets sorted! Other posts have appeared on the forum with the same problem so at least I know it's not just me.

(Had a problem logging in with the prev username notatechie, hence the new one here).

Thanks again for everyone's help.

KM

trynda1701
10-03-2007, 20:16
There's a fault up on the service status page for Telewest

http://status2.virginmedia.com/vmstatus/serviceissue.do;jsessionid=7AF520EC9DDD3CCB21CF623 6EDCB6C08.jsps304p:28009?ticket=433975

simbr

Thanks for the info, I will stop trying to rip my hair out! ;)

I thought I just had an eBay login problem, as they had a scheduled maintenance on Thursday, but I also couldn't log into Hotmail till today at 13:00 and currently can't post or send Personal messages on one of my other forums.

Now that I know about the Service status page on Virgin, I will keep an eye on it

Thanks again! :)

Onion Danger
10-03-2007, 22:05
If you’re ex blueyonder use webcache.blueyonder.co.uk 8080 for your proxy and it will sort the problem:

Internet Options > Connections > Lan Settings > Proxy Server

:)

m8internet
11-03-2007, 10:22
Ticket 433975 (http://status2.virginmedia.com/vmstatus/serviceissue.do?ticket=433975)
I first noticed this on Friday morning, about 05:00, and reported it
There was no change at 15:00, and reported it again
I've been reporting every 12 hours since, and only got a reply this morning!

This ticket is
currently with our networks team. The latest update on this ticket
states that they are unable to detect any issues on our side therefore
the problem might not be our side. More work is being carried out on
this issue and we do hope to have this resolved as quickly as possible.
Please keep referring to the status page for updates

A similar problem occurred on 01 January 2006, but was resolved within 36 hours, and I was given a £12.50 credit for that
This was has now been in excess of 72 hours so I am expecting a one months full refund

---------- Post added at 10:22 ---------- Previous post was at 10:19 ----------

If you’re ex blueyonder use webcache.blueyonder.co.uk 8080 for your proxy and it will sort the problem:

Internet Options > Connections > Lan Settings > Proxy Server

Using the proxy makes no difference
No access to about 40% of websites, any webmail, internet banking, or being able to post to files named posting.php

Graham M
11-03-2007, 10:23
Did you specify it for HTTPS?

m8internet
11-03-2007, 11:03
Yes, I've used these settings before, but it makes no difference with or without
I've also not received any eMails (through webmail) for 4 days, and I had to use my XDA to verify the eMail to register here!

Even simple web browsing to google.co.uk won't work!

MSN Messenger fails, again I've been using my XDA for that!

To sent support tickets I've also been having to use my XDA

I've also tried on my laptop, but the same problems, so it is definitely the VM BB connection and not my computers
Rebooted the modem every 6 hours, no difference

trynda1701
11-03-2007, 14:52
Hi

Isn't this fun, we all seem to affected in different ways!

I have been having problems with the two Mac laptops we have. Our current problems are:

CAN'T

Log into eBay; post messages on one of my Forums although I CAN read all topics posted. Also, I may have been thrown out of a forum I only registered with LAST NIGHT (10/3) with no chance of rejoining!

CAN

Using Google seems okay, as is my Ntl email with normal response time, which is receiving reminders from eBay about items watched.

INTERMITTENT

We originally COULDN' T get into Hotmail until about 13:00 on 10/3, now has VERY slow login and response in reading or switching betwen messages, unlike Ntl email! **EDIT But we can send emails on Hotmail despite this.** Also, can log into my Yahoo email, but have very slow or no response to reading, switching between messages or sending again!

I tried on Friday evening to ask my computer savvy PC friend who lives two streets away if he knew what was going on, and that was the first he had known there were problems!

Currently at 14:50 on 11/3, the latest update to the ticket was modified at 12:45, and the estimated time of fix is now 'Unknown'

I noticed that there were two tickets for loss of internet services in the Dundee area!

trynda

m8internet
11-03-2007, 15:17
The login scripts require authentication to be sent to/from your computer
This times out, hence why you can read but not post on CGI based scripts

The same happens with eBay, to login your authentication is sent through a https server, which is currently blocked

Pretty much the same happens with hotmail, MSN, and so on

The problem in Dundee is quite different, and looks like their UBR has failed

trynda1701
11-03-2007, 16:03
Hi m8internet

Thanks for the info, now we just wait, eh?

I notice one of the Dundee tickets was closed at 15:07.

trynda

m8internet
11-03-2007, 19:09
Most UBR failures and faults are fixed within 48 hours
The Castlecary UBR (my local) normally fails during HEAVY rain twice a year
As a result you get NO service at all
The plus side is you get the WHOLE month refunded back to you

Clearly with the current Scottish fault something has been overlooked
It's not only affecting VM residential customers but also ntl:TeleWest business customers

Given the problem has exceeded 72 hours a full months refund should also now be due, but let's get the service back first
I can't complain, I only pay £20 a month anyway for BB and TV

purplehez
11-03-2007, 22:02
I have been unable to access most of the sites I usually use. In fact I will be surprised if this post goes through as I've not been able to post on most forums since Friday.

I cannot post on LiveJournal (although I can read it OK), I can't get past login on MySpace, Hotmail, Yahoo Mail and others, I cannot post on most forums, I can't get into MSN Messenger or Second Life ... but I CAN access my Virgin webmail and my online banking. My daughter has complained about not being able to access some sites too.

The strange thing is that people I know living in the same town are not having these problems! I have tried connecting from my laptop as well as my desktop so I know it's not anything to do with any settings I may have overlooked when trying to figure out what was wrong. (this was before I saw the thing on the status page and phoned up to find out if that may be what was causing my problems and apparently it "probably" is.)

It just seems odd that other people I know in the same town (albeit the other side of the town) are not having any problems. Anyway, I hope this gets sorted soon. There's nothing decent on the telly and I've hoovered the carpet too many times now!! ;)

BlueStrike
12-03-2007, 00:36
Hello, I have success in the past using the following proxy settings:-

webcache.blueyonder.co.uk:3128

Please give this a try as I have no problems getting into my e-bay account. I have not testing out other secure websites but presume most will be accessable.

Good Luck!

jamie_
12-03-2007, 20:18
Scotland - Problems been present since noon 080307 for me. I was told on 2 occasions the problem would be remedied. On the 3rd occasion I was told there was no problem. Till I kindly pointed out my previous 2 calls and the details on there own status page. Which were slow to appear I might add

As a short term fix that works for me drop my mtu settings to 1220 using tcp optimizer..downloaded from speednet
1) Run
2) Select custom settings
3) Put 1220 in MTU box
4) Ok
5) Reboot

Hope this helps and please read below :)

Please note The webcache did work for me for everything (secure sites webmail etc) except windows live messenger
addy i was given on friday 090307 was webcache.blueyonder.co.uk using port 8080. So ive opted to go with the mtu settings for now
1 .if you opt for the webcahe fix on internet explorer Click tools
2. select internet options
3 click connection tab
4 click lan settings
5. Put a check in automatically detect settings
6. Put a check in use a proxy server
7. Type webcahe.blueyonder.co.uk in address box
8. port box type 8080
9. put a check in bypass proxy server for local address box
10. click ok
11. click ok again

And god forbid should they ever fix the problem, remember and uncheck the boxes etc eg (automatically detect setting blah blah)

m8internet
12-03-2007, 22:54
Yet another day has passed
I've lost service before, but never for this long!
At least this weekend there is the FIA season to look forward to, providing Digital TV doesn't go out in sympathy too
Amazing how many outstanding DIY jobs I was able to find to on Saturday and Sunday, although I don't think the neighbours were too happy with me sawing and drilling at 10:00 on Sunday morning!
At least it will be quieter this weekend, staying up all night and early morning, and sleeping all day...

trynda1701
12-03-2007, 23:39
CAN'T

Log into eBay; post messages on one of my Forums although I CAN read all topics posted. Also, I may have been thrown out of a forum I only registered with LAST NIGHT (10/3) with no chance of rejoining!

trynda

Is something finally happening? I checked the ticket at 23:15, no change. But I checked if I could log into eBay, which I can, and I can post in the forum I couldn't post to. :) Also got back into the forum I was thrown out of after I explained my problem.

Hope others are getting back in.

trynda

jamie_
13-03-2007, 13:00
I think due to the variability of the bizarre problem I am opting for the short term fixes as i explained above - until the ticket is remedied on virgin status page.

sav112
13-03-2007, 14:01
Yeah I've had this and my friends on Virgin as well. One was thinking about going over to BT as he was really mad he sells alot on e-bay.

Most people i know have TV with sky and Virgin BB.

simbr
13-03-2007, 15:29
Jsut to check - are you all ex-Telewest (it was so much easier when there were seperate forums..)

trynda1701
13-03-2007, 15:52
The ticket is closed now, at 14:52 today 13/3. "Configuration issue caused the outrage," unquote.

Yep, we're ex-telewest. I got access to my eBay etc on an ex-ntl connection during the fault with no problems.

m8internet
13-03-2007, 19:12
You can remove your webcache settings now
LogIn to your ex-TeleWest CP and file a complaint
I've been offered £12, which is more than my months money back!

trynda1701
13-03-2007, 19:54

How exactly do you do this, cos I'm not sure what you mean by CP? :dunce:

Thanx

simbr
14-03-2007, 22:05
Control Panel?

m8internet
09-04-2007, 16:47
You can remove your webcache settings now
I've been offered £12, which is more than my months money back!

I reported a further small amount of downtime, received this reply today :

Thank you for your e-mail dated 13 March 2007.

I apologise for the late response to this e-mail.

I have credited your account with £14.50 equivalent to one months
broadband service to cover for the loss of service of your broadband.
This adjustment will appear on your next monthly statement in the
Refunds and Adjustments section as a credit for (GBP) £14.50.

Ironically, I am on 2 for £20