PDA

View Full Version : Email from Virgin mobile

MikeSmith36
07-03-2007, 10:34
This has probably been asked before but I cannot find a way to search the forum.

I am an ex NTL customer who has the lot from Virgin including the £10 mobile phone offer, my question is - has anyone got email working on the Virgin mobile?

I can send mail using the NTL settings but when I use smtp.ntlworld.com to send mail I just get an error that mail could not be sent - it does find the server though.

I emailed tech support but they just say they do not support email through the mobile phone (yet?).

Michael:confused:

robbo71
08-03-2007, 12:30
I am an ex Blueyonder customer with a Sony Ericsson K510i on Virgin Mobile and I have it working OK.
Regards.

Nemesis
08-03-2007, 12:32
I am an ex Blueyonder customer with a Sony Ericsson K510i on Virgin Mobile and I have it working OK.
Regards.

Well that helps ... NOT!!

robbo71
08-03-2007, 12:50
Ok,Let me try again with my settings.
Connect Using - Virgin GPRS
Connection type- POP3
Incoming server- pop3.blueyonder.co.uk
Outgoing server- smtp.blueyonder.co.uk
I also have to setup my username email adress and password that I have registered with blueyonder.
Is that better?

gkhewitt
08-03-2007, 12:59
Have you enabled SMTP authentication?

The smtp servers you are using won't be enabled as open relays, ie. people outside of Virgin's network won't be allowed to use the mailservers. This, confusingly, probably includes Virgin mobiles. You'll either need to enable SMTP authentication or find another mailserver that supports it (the Virgin ones might not..)

-George

MikeSmith36
08-03-2007, 13:12
I am far from an expert BUT the above post does seem to identify EXACTLY the problem I have.
I believe it is a problem with the NTL smtp server not accepting 'relays' (whatever they are), the net effect being it rejects my outgoing email.
I just wonder as we are all 'one big happy family whether the blueyonder smtp server might work for me?

I'll give it a go.

Michael

---------- Post added at 12:11 ---------- Previous post was at 12:06 ----------

Nice thought but I still get send failed fromthe blueyonder server. :dozey:

---------- Post added at 12:12 ---------- Previous post was at 12:11 ----------

How do I 'enable smtp authentication'??? :confused:

MikeSmith36
20-03-2007, 17:47
In case anyone else has this problem, I managed to solve it.
The fault was the smtp server - smtp.ntlworld.com just will not work with a mobile phone, I used another smtp server (from my web hosting service) and all works fine.

VMNick
05-06-2007, 18:54
Well i got a Lobster 700TV with Micro$oft Window$ Mobile 5 and i use:

Connect: Virgin GRPS
Username:
Password:
POP: pop.ntlworld.com
SMTP: smtp.ntlworld.com

And it works.

rumpole69
15-07-2007, 17:14
Well i got a Lobster 700TV with Micro$oft Window$ Mobile 5 and i use:

Connect: Virgin GRPS
Username:
Password:
POP: pop.ntlworld.com
SMTP: smtp.ntlworld.com

And it works.
Mine works too. It is just a pity that it costs a fortune to use.

Do not download full messages if you receive a lot. Stick to your PC.