PDA

View Full Version : desperate question re. Sky News without Sky subscription

hurstnicholas
05-03-2007, 12:54
Can I receive Sky News by any means other than Sky or Freeview?

I am a NTL/Virgin subscriber and cannot install an external dish for Sky - although I would love to.

I do not have a rooftop aerial (for freeview) and cannot instal one.

I have a high speed cable broadband connection AND a spare BT line, for any broadband services that rely on BT lines - is it possible to receive it over these?

I have seen "TVtoPC" type software packages advertised, but do not know whether these provide Sky News, work or are legal.

I heard Tiscali were going to provide it, but I have spoken to them and they cannot see it listed.

Thanks

AndyCambs
05-03-2007, 12:57
It's reported that Sky news will be removed from Freeview before the summer as well.

hurstnicholas
05-03-2007, 12:59
All the more need for a solution!

AndyCambs
05-03-2007, 13:02
I've always preferred the BBC News. I find CNN news biased slightly.
Euro News is ok to a point, but sounds monotonous... I just like playing with the interactive and changing the language on that...

I'd quite like Al Jazeera news as an option

You could always look at www.sky.com/news

hurstnicholas
05-03-2007, 13:17
I've always preferred the BBC News. I find CNN news biased slightly.
Euro News is ok to a point, but sounds monotonous... I just like playing with the interactive and changing the language on that...

I'd quite like Al Jazeera news as an option

You could always look at www.sky.com/news (http://www.sky.com/news)

Thanks - but I need to be able to specifically view Sky News - for work reasons.

AndyCambs
05-03-2007, 14:55
They're showing a podcast on their website - not sure if this is anyuse?

: Open iTunes on your computer (you should have this programme already, if you have an iPod)
:: Select 'Subscribe to Podcast' from the 'advanced' menu and type/paste in this link:
http://skyscape.sky.com/skynewsradio/NEWS/spotlight.xml (http://skyscape.sky.com/skynewsradio/NEWS/spotlight.xml)
:: The latest edition will download and then sync automatically w

Paul K
05-03-2007, 14:57
Apart from that there are no other legal ways of viewing Sky news without a sub or freeview.

dragondottie
05-03-2007, 17:52
can anybody help me as regards freeview, I bought my sister a freeview box, and she has been quite thrilled with it, she was a bit upset when I told her about losing Sky 3 eventually, but, yesterday she phone me to say that a lot of new channels had arrived including the Turner Movie Channel and UK Gold, and she was really excited about it, she has phoned me today to say, it says on the screen "no longer broadcasting" I looked on my virgin cable guide and told her they were, so does anybody know what's going on, is it now going to be "Pay per view" which she won't wash, or is this just temporary until they start sending the signal through properly, needless to say she's quite deflated, and she heard one of the neighbours discussing this, that the same had happened to them, "now you see it now you don't"....if it's Sky doing this they really are a load of rogues, and they need sorting out, especially Al Murdoch Capone