PDA

View Full Version : Really Poor Connection!!

James79
03-03-2007, 13:11
Sorry guys, if any of the Mods wish to move this to a more appropriate place, please feel free to do so!!

Logged on this morning to find that loads of (well, a few) sites are unavilable - I keep getting the "Internet Explorer Cannot Display This Page" notification.

Sites I have noticed that are unavailable are -

www.bbc.co.uk (http://www.bbc.co.uk) This appears to be woring intermittently!

Dare I mention this one?? http://www.digitalspy.co.uk

Also have noticed that I cant sign into MSN Messenger.

Anyone else finding this problem?? If not - does anyone have any idea what would be wrong?? Nothin in my setup has been changed, and all was working well last night!

:Yikes:

Toto
03-03-2007, 13:13
No probbs in South Wales...so usual advice, check connections, reboot system, routers pronlem?

If all else fails, call Tech Support (Runs for the hills)

ntl engineer
03-03-2007, 13:17
james 79
wot are you use for ur broadband stb or sacm

Your_da
03-03-2007, 13:32
In Belfast as you and have noticed the same , cant get onto a number of websites including bbc and speed is pants , I'm really getting fed up with this supposedly 10meg broadband at the minute, upgraded 2 weeks ago and have had about 2 days worth of speeds were I have had round 6meg.
Not happy

James79
03-03-2007, 13:35
Using a SACM.

MSN is eluding to the fact that it is a problem with the Ports - either Proxy or Firewall. If I can access other sites and have also chacked that Messenger is permitted to access the internet, then I would assume that this is a proxy problem!!! AGAIN!!!

PS. I hear that the UBRs here in NI are grossly oversubscribed!! VM will HAVE to do something about this!!

cookie monster
03-03-2007, 13:39
yip in lisburn which comes off of the belfast exchnage and having exactly the same problems... some websites load fine others getting Internet Explorer Cannot Display This Page as well and again bbc is intermettant

connection looks good have 4mb internet and getting 3.74 which is fine

i have a ntl 120 modem

have had no issues whith ntl internet but there have been various connection problems since virgin media took over... things where running badly last saturday as well

i just dont undertsand why the connection is great for some sites and other jus wont load

ntl engineer
03-03-2007, 13:40
your da you will not get the full ten meg you know that dnt you.and james 79 is all your lights on your sacm

Carl J
03-03-2007, 13:45
your da you will not get the full ten meg you know that dnt you.and james 79 is all your lights on your sacm

your_da said he had 2 days of 6Mbit and that's about the best in 2 weeks. Hardly normal performance and not even close to the full 10.

Don't see the relevance of the lights on the cable modem to James' performance problems, only look at those where modem is dropping offline, surely?

With the complaints about websites not loading perhaps some proxy dancing is in order?

James79
03-03-2007, 13:48

All lights doing what they should!!

I have a NTL 250 (Should that be VM 250)

This was a replacement from a Terajet. Apparently a system upgrade on NTLs network killed all the Terajets!! Perhaps that is was is happeneing to all the other SACms on the network??

Carl J
03-03-2007, 13:50
Try changing proxy server as per the instructions on this post: http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/80/8783-changing-your-dns-and-proxy-server.html

Nikesh
03-03-2007, 14:06
Everythings fine here in Leicester. Virgin Media 4Mb with Terayon TJ210. :)

Your_da
03-03-2007, 14:33
Yeah I know I wont get the full 10meg, when I had 4 meg I was getting near full speed all the time, upgraded 2 weeks ago and speed has been worse.
Tech support wont admit there is a problem, keep saying its configured for 10 meg and thats about it.
Current speed is between 3-4meg which is better than the usual I have been getting, but still have the problem with some sites not loading.
Can only imagine how bad its going to be when they role out 20meg!!!

Going to try changing my proxy server to see If I can get onto some of the websites.

stooeh
03-03-2007, 14:44
Bah, im in leeds and over the last hour or so my connection has deteriorated slowly until now its absolute pants 1.2mbit on speedtest net and it has 9mbit an hour ago. Been trying to play CS over that time and now im warping all over the place. I am sad :(

Stoo

Carl J
03-03-2007, 15:29
Everythings fine here in Leicester. Virgin Media 4Mb with Terayon TJ210. :)

I'm sure people in Belfast with poor performance for months are ecstatic to hear that ;)

countbathory
03-03-2007, 15:34
I'm sure people in Belfast with poor performance for months are ecstatic to hear that ;)

im in belfast an for the past few weeks been getting poor performance and lots of websites failing to load, msn refusing to login an so on, today i changed my proxy to manchester 1 and seems to be a bit better. At least my msn now logs in an i can access the sites that i previously couldnt.

Sat, 3 Mar 2007 15:33:29 UTC

1st 512K took 455 ms = 1125.3 KB/sec, approx 9272 Kbps, 9.05 Mbps
2nd 512K took 439 ms = 1166.3 KB/sec, approx 9610 Kbps, 9.38 Mbps
3rd 512K took 439 ms = 1166.3 KB/sec, approx 9610 Kbps, 9.38 Mbps
4th 512K took 720 ms = 711.1 KB/sec, approx 5859 Kbps, 5.72 Mbps

Overall Average Speed = approx 8588 Kbps, 8.38 Mbps

not to bad ;)

Carl J
03-03-2007, 15:34
Good to see.

Bloody proxies, kill them all :)

James79
03-03-2007, 15:48
Well, I decided to walk away from the PC for a while!!

Just returned a few minutes ago to find that everything SEEMS to be back to normal!!

How so we get VM to move away from proxies?? And how do we get them to deal with the oversubscription of the UBRs - surely this has something to do with the speeds being so pants of late!!

grimwau
03-03-2007, 16:03
This might sound a tad silly (apologies in advance) but, say for instance someone in Swansea gets the full 10MB consistently, could we change our proxies to Swansea and then get their speeds? As a consequence of this action would Swansea then get overloaded?
Sorry, but I'm not au fait with how these things work, all I know is I'm having a lot of trouble just getting the VM home page to load, often only the top part is visible but I can then access this site OK even although the homepage never loads fully.

Carl J
03-03-2007, 17:31
This might sound a tad silly (apologies in advance)

The silly question is the one not asked.

but, say for instance someone in Swansea gets the full 10MB consistently, could we change our proxies to Swansea and then get their speeds?

Not necessarily, just a working proxy, there are other things to go wrong.

As a consequence of this action would Swansea then get overloaded?

Yep.

grimwau
03-03-2007, 17:43
Oooops! Sorry to everyone in Swansea if your speed has slowed down.