PDA

View Full Version : Upgrade to 10Mb - What should happen ?

metmanuk
02-03-2007, 14:06
I was upgraded yesterday from 4 to 10Mb, so also from STB to cable modem. My BB cable connects to a Linksys router. What should happen - what should I have been told to do ?

I wasn't at home at the time so got home to no BB. Against my better judgement I ran the supplied CD; first via the router connection - Error 800, then direct from a different PC to the cable modem - Can't refresh IP Address. Tech support said couldn't help me until I got a PIN (none had been supplied - why, if I was just 'swapping modems' ? Transferred to Customer Care who cut me off as it was getting late (7ish) ! This morning CC gave ma a PIn, said the account wasnt set up - set it up - I tested - same result - passed to Tech Support. Lots of tests and was told it could be cable or TCP/IP stack.

I also tried refreshing IP from the router itself - no luck. I have carried out the power off/ons in order many times !!!

Coincidently, a friend was also upgraded yesterday - same result. Also, having retained the old Samsung box, it still shows a solid modem light.

Any thoughts will be gratefully received, especially about the correct processes to be followed.

Delta Whiskey
02-03-2007, 14:32
Power it all off for a few minutes, take the router out of the loop, connect directly from the computer to the modem then power up and see if you can set it up now. If that works, power down and put the router back in-line and see if it still works. If not try resetting the router (button on the back, hold down for 10 seconds) and see if that helps.

DW

valor
02-03-2007, 14:43
Go here>>> http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33602415 <<<use these instructions.

grimwau
02-03-2007, 14:45
Just a thought but as your connection was previously through the STB if you chose to clone the mac address of the stb then you will now need to alter that to reflect the modems mac address. You seem very familiar with the process of powering down and the correct order in which to power up so if it still doesn't work can you try typing both the router and the modem addresses into your browser to determine that you are able to connect to each unit. Post back with your results.

Sherlock
If the STB is still showing a solid modem light would that not mean that your BB signal is still set up against your STB MAC address, thus your cable modem will not be receiving a BB signal. If this is the case, you'll have to ring up tech support again and ask them to swap your bb signal from your STB MAC addy to your cable modem. This shouldn't be hard...prob just a case of getting thru to someone who knows how to do their job.
If no joy - ask for a manager =-)

metmanuk
Thanks DW, I'll try again when I get home, although I have pretty much done that (30+ years of semi-tech IT experience comes in handy sometimes).

Do you know what the Virgin CD does, given that 4Mb BB was working fine ?

Sherlock
02-03-2007, 14:51
The cd does bugger all really. Just really helps set up outlook express, alias's, PCG and that. It wouldn't be worth running it.

metmanuk
02-03-2007, 15:47
Thanks for the suggestions so far - I'm frantically cut & pasting now so that I have all the info I need to take home - its going to be a long weekend if I dont get this solved.

grimwau
03-03-2007, 16:09
Good luck & don't forget to let us know how you sorted it (glass half full mode) as all these little tips benefit everybody.

metmanuk
06-03-2007, 13:01
The Solution.
Firstly, You can have both BB links (old via Samsung STB, new via CM) running happily together. Just switching cables into the router (switched off) enabled me to go back and forth to run tests.

Secondly, I borrowed an old laptop to sit it next to the CM. Eventually, I got to the Virgin registration screen (80.5.178.26). BTW it would not let me change my password. Download speed was only 100k !

Thirdly, the obvious problem area was therefore the cable (30 metres via a tortuos underfloor route - took 9 hours to install whenI first gor BB). I tried connecting the laptop to the CM end to see if I could contact the router at the other end - I could.

Fourthly, I knew it wasnt Virgin. It could have been the router not liking 10Mb. It was most likely the cable BUT for the above successful test.

The cheapest option was to re-plug the cable ends - PCWorld (Crimper £20 + 25 plugs £10 - ouch!). I changed the plugs and it works !!!!! (Mind you, it was set to 2Mb but a quick call to Virgin CC on Monday morning - 8am is a good time to call - and 10Mb was running.

I said originally that my friend had a similar problem - his was the cable as well - coincidents do happen.

Thanks for all you help.