PDA

View Full Version : speedtests accurate?

seanyd
02-03-2007, 10:13
Hi, i am currently on the 10mb package. I have carried out several speedtests using different test sites and they always give me poor results, eg speeds more akin to 2mb. However when i download from a website (using u torrent) i can physically see i am getting speeds of up to 1100kbps, so why am i getting icorrect readings from the speedcheck sites? Thanks

awibble
02-03-2007, 10:18
speed tests sites work by timeing how long it takes you to download small files.

If they only have a 100Mbps connection, nd 200 people run the test at the same time, they can only send the file at 0.5Mbps which means that your speedtest will read 0.5 even tho you could of got 10Mpbs.

Best speedtest i have found is to download files off mirrors.virginmedia.com

Te Bheag
13-03-2007, 16:32
That makes sense, thanks awibble :)

I've used both gamefiles.virginmedia.com and mirrors.virginmedia.com to check UK download speeds, but they are pretty much consistent with speed tests, maybe a bit faster.

However, I am on 10 meg, former Telewest Blueyonder in Wolverhampton, and have seen between 4 and 5 meg reported since upgrading to this service. I have contacted CS a couple of times and they asked me to download files from the above sites. I am a bit confused by their contention that downloading two files at about 470/480 kB/s each is about right for a 10meg service (because 470 + 470 is near as dammit 1000)... surely I should get around 900+ for just a single download?

And, if I set three downloads running wouldn't they come down at 333 kB/s each, based on their statement (I get 380+ each). Also, when downloading 2 files the download speed slowly rises to 550+ each file... I'm not using any special download managers, just plain simple Firefox. :confused:

Sorry if this has hijacked your thread Seanyd - please let me know if it should be a new thread or if this is explained elsewhere. :dunce:

Bottom line, am I to believe CS? Am I getting what I paid for? Or should I go back to 4meg... I work from home and use skype for talking to the office, so better bandwidth is (I think) important for me.

akki007
14-03-2007, 09:34
why would 450k x2 be almost right for 10 meg? 10 meg is 10,000k not 1000k!

Stuart
14-03-2007, 09:38
why would 450k x2 be almost right for 10 meg? 10 meg is 10,000k not 1000k!

The connection speed is 10 Mbit. The file size will be Kilobytes. 1 byte = 8 bits, so therefore, 10 Mbit is just over 1 Megabyte.

N.U.N.L
14-03-2007, 12:55
Been looking for answer's for this very question myself, I have 10mb BBand
and get realy slow speeds. Seanyd how on earth do you get 1100kbps torrent speeds, mine maxes out at 150kbs no matter how I set it up. I think I
should be getting faster speeds on the browsing and file downloading front,
having said that when I log into Xboxlive with the 360 I can get 1gb demo
files within say an hour. My setup is a motorola speedtouch lan'd to the pc
with the netgear wgr614 plugged into that for the wireless connection for the
xbox downstairs. Im still telewest btw(not that it should matter?)

I have used speedtest sites too but get poor upload/d'ld reports also.

sicknote
14-03-2007, 15:34
im sure that certain areas that VM service get better speeds than others ie: i download video files on my 10mg via ftpsite and my friend does the same from the same source hes on 4mg BUT he maxs out on 4mg and i get 100k? go figure, hes in yorkshire and ex:telewest and yes you guessed it im ex:ntl:) in buckinghamshire,also as everyone knows most isps traffic shape now and more so when people uses torrents

Halcyon
14-03-2007, 15:40
It's always best to do several speed tests from different servers.
Also make sure that you don't have anything in the background (MSN Messanger, downloads, etc).

dannyoneill
14-03-2007, 20:59
Doing tests from www.speedtest.net this morning I get 12mbps, now I get 2mbps.

From tiscalis speed test site I get 10mbps all times.

It depends where you do it and how fast there connection. At this time speedtest.net have a very busy server so cant give an accurate reading.

www.dslreports.com have loads of tests from various servers, just keep trying.

N.U.N.L
19-03-2007, 17:01
I tried a few different speedtest's, here's my results:

https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2007/03/40.png (http://www.speedtest.net)

download:4478 kb/s
upload:367 kb/s
Closest server is dublin so I imagine that's why it's so low (im in scotland)
http://www.speedtest.bbmax.co.uk/
Download Speed: 9617 kbps (1202.1 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 368 kbps (46 KB/sec transfer rate)

A big difference im sure you will agree. Intrestingly within the last few day's
my t'internet speed has improved, torrents are maxing about 250kbs and http
downloads are now around the 303kbs.