PDA

View Full Version : Just upgraded to VIP but STB doesnt support 10meg

SKEV
01-03-2007, 10:05
I have tv BB and phone and have 3 stb's one of which supplies the BB so when i worked out that I could save money by switching to the VIP package I thought great and rung up and ordered it and found out i could save more money than i had worked out(saving £15 per month instead of the £3 I worked out). As the VIP package has V+ I have got to wait till the 27th for it to be installed so wont get 10meg till then either but the woman did not say that the stb would not support it. So should i ring up and ask for a cable modem to be installed(will i be charged for this?) and I still want my stb in the room that supplys the BB so will it be possible to have a cable modem and STB in the same room?

Virgin rocks and SKY sucks

Richy99
01-03-2007, 10:51
no STB supports 10meg, call them up and ask for a SACM to be installed, no you wont be charged because your current equipment cannot deliver the service you are paying for

SKEV
01-03-2007, 10:58
But can that be installed in the same room as the STB im already runnig from?

01-03-2007, 12:58
When I had mine changed a month or so ago, they just changed the splitter in the box inside the house, then plugged the set top box back into one connection and the cable modem into the other.

So in short - Yes, you can have them in the same room.

mega_monty
01-03-2007, 23:12
If you call Virgin, they will supply you with a self install kit, containing modem, power supply, ethernet cable, 3 way splitter and co-axial cables. Install, then call them with the modem MAC address so they can then activate it.

homealone
01-03-2007, 23:37
But can that be installed in the same room as the STB im already runnig from?

yes, it will involve a few more cables, a splitter and a tv/data isolator :)

AndyCambs
01-03-2007, 23:38
Either Self install, or free engineer visit (unlike Sky... :) )

metmanuk
02-03-2007, 10:29
When I had mine changed a month or so ago, they just changed the splitter in the box inside the house, then plugged the set top box back into one connection and the cable modem into the other.

So in short - Yes, you can have them in the same room.

Hi newbie,
When this work was carried out, what did you have to do at the PC end ?

I was upgraded yesterday (from STB to cable modem) and was told to run the Virgin CD and it can't refresh the IP address. It doesn't get as far as requesting a PIN (which the kind engineer didnt leave). Coincidently, a friend was also upgraded yesterday - same result.

mega_monty
03-03-2007, 01:21
Hi newbie,
When this work was carried out, what did you have to do at the PC end ?

I was upgraded yesterday (from STB to cable modem) and was told to run the Virgin CD and it can't refresh the IP address. It doesn't get as far as requesting a PIN (which the kind engineer didnt leave). Coincidently, a friend was also upgraded yesterday - same result.

Did you call the support team to activate your new modem ?

highlandlassie
03-03-2007, 10:12
I phoned tech dept to help with install of modem/cd. They were able to do it at their end, and no need for the CD. Not had any problems

The engineer didn't leave me a PIN number either