PDA

View Full Version : Cancelling BB before 12 months when moving

elb78
28-02-2007, 13:45
Hi There,.

Just a little advice from someone, if possible.:) I've read several of the posts on getting out of the NTL BB contract early if you move to somewhere that doesn't have NTL, but am wondering if it's a little different now that it's Virgin Media.

I moved into a rented property 12 months ago, but the Broadband service was in the name of my housemate who had it transferred from her previous address. She then moved out after 6 months, taking her BB with her, so I signed up with NTL.

I've had no problems with them so far, but am now moving out of the property, with almost 6 months of contract left. If I move to somewhere that doesn't have NTL cable, can I still site the legal stuff that says that you can leave the contract early if they can't provide the service, even though now it's virgin media, they can provide non-cable broadband? (The property already has adsl down the BT phone line, so wouldn't need ntl).

My point is, with the legal stuff, can you say that they can't offer you exactly the same product (cable BB), or are they within their rights, as they can offer you an alternative?

Any info would be a great help.

Thanks

NTLVictim
28-02-2007, 13:49
They could argue the point, of course, but now it's VM they are becoming more customer oriented..ask them, if they say no, take it from there!

parpenbhwarg
28-02-2007, 14:01
K Moving home

1. If you move to another address within our service area, you may ask us to provide the services to your new address. You must give us at least one month's written notice to do this, but we cannot guarantee to provide you with the services at your new address.
2. If you move to another address during any minimum period paragraph J2 will apply, unless you continue to receive our services at your new address (in which case paragraph K3 will apply).
3. If we agree to provide the services to your new address, you will have to pay a service transfer charge (to be paid to Virgin Media Payments). Details of our service transfer charge are set out in our price guides. We will also send you a new contract for the services at your new address and you will have to keep the services for the minimum period. The service start date will be the date that we install the services at your new address. You may not be able to keep your phone number if you move house.

J Ending this agreement

2. If you end this agreement before the end of the minimum period for any of the services (other than in the circumstances outlined in section K or paragraph J3), you must immediately pay (to Virgin Media Payments) the balance of the line rental (if this applies) or the monthly charges (or both) that you would have paid for the rest of the minimum period for each separate service (based on the line rental and monthly charges that you are paying when your agreement ends). If you cancel any but not all of your services before the end of their minimum period, you must immediately pay (to Virgin Media Payments) the balance of the line rental (if this applies) or the monthly charges (or both) that you would have paid for the rest of the minimum period for those services (based on the line rental and monthly charges that you are paying when you cancel those services).

New terms & conditions look rather harsh really!