PDA

View Full Version : CM trouble (Speed Issues)

mart18
27-02-2007, 22:14
Hey,

Recently we upgraded to that VIP £85.00 thing and ever since we've been on the 10 meg connection we have had nothing but trouble,
Speeds are ridiculous, Never see higher than 3 - 4 Meg... Past few days, been getting .5meg down and .5 meg up...
Someone told me to check out my CM Downstream SNR etc, I don't understand what these mean...

Downstream Lock : Locked
Downstream Channel Id : 1
Downstream Frequency : 586750000 Hz
Downstream Modulation : QAM64
Downstream Symbol Rate : 6952 Ksym/sec
Downstream Interleave Depth : taps12Increment17
Downstream Receive Power Level : -9.4 dBmV
Downstream SNR : 29.8 dB

And Upstream

Upstream Lock : Locked
Upstream Channel ID : 4
Upstream Frequency : 33584000 Hz
Upstream Modulation : QPSK
Upstream Symbol Rate : 2560 Ksym/sec
Upstream transmit Power Level : 51.8 dBmV
Upstream Mini-Slot Size : 2

Any ideas if anyone knows what tese mean.. :S ??
Thanks..

Hex
27-02-2007, 22:53
I'm not entirely sure on these figures, but I think -9.4 is a bit off what it should be, have a read through the sticky about levels, http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/12/26006-cable-modem-signal-levels.html and hopefully someone who actually understands this stuff should pop on soon.

mart18
28-02-2007, 14:26
Thanks hex, well the only i found was that my Upstream transit power level was higher than normla, anything above 55 suggests issues...
Spoke to VM this min ago, and aparently my signals are fine. but then agan my tele freezes, pixelates and just dnt work sometimes and my broad continuoulsy drops... he just said that they were fine and there's nothing else he can do apart from run more tests..
GRr i wish i spoke to someone that was helpful..

parpenbhwarg
28-02-2007, 14:37
My V+ box usually has around -3/-4/-3 on the three tuners respectively but sometimes the power level fluctuates. When my picture was pixelating I checked the technical stuff page again and the tuners were all around -9.

So if your V+ box has downstream power levels fluctuating around -9 then that will be why your picture pixelates I guess.

As for the cable modem, I have an Ambit 250 model synced with the downstream power level at around -8.2dBmV and the 10mbit service works flawlessly. 10-15ms pings to Jolt and 1.17MB/s downloading binaries from Giganews. I guess with a power level that low, your modem might actually struggle to stay synced?

If the TV problem can be shown easily (i.e. happens very often) then insist that you have an engineer booked, ensure he has a meter to test the power levels and get him to move you around in the cabinet to see if your power level can be improved.

mart18
04-03-2007, 04:19
:erm: Well we haven't even been upgraded to the V+ box yet (sometime this month i hope) forgot the date, I originally had one of those PACE STB's but had that changed to a samsung one a couple of months ago. How do you check the signal on them btw ?

Apposed to the sync thing, i don't get it, I just know that the connection is now crap to what the 2 meg was, But with the ping times, i do see quite high ones and on speedtest.net aswell.. usually about 150ms for the London server.. Got a NTL 250 model

we're not the only ones in our road that has the tele and internet probs, Could this be summit else, liek i was reading about over subscribed UBR's.. I dont have a clue and i just get so frustrated with CS when they tell you things are working ok annd just pass you on to some other technician in a different department, where you have to explain the whole situation again, for them to also tell you well things are ok? :rolleyes: