PDA

View Full Version : Some things are there for a reason

greencreeper
25-02-2007, 23:31
New house. Tatty chipboard bathroom cabinet suspiciously high on the wall :scratch: - too high to reach any shelf other than the very bottom one. Contains an assortment of used cosmetics and manky razors. "That'll have to come down and be replaced by something nicer - and lower", methinks. Me wobbling on a step ladder, armed with a hammer and screwdriver. After much banging and tugging, it eventually comes off the wall. Greencreeper nearly comes off the step ladder. At the back of the cabinet is a wall that looks like it was hit with close-range MP5 fire, and plastered over with a sponge, a la North Sea in gale. That'll be why it was soo high :rolleyes: Greencreeper goes to find the Ikea catalogue - need large cabinet.

Pia
26-02-2007, 00:11
:rofl: Don't you just love cowboy bodge jobs:D:D

greencreeper
26-02-2007, 00:22
The house is full of them. I was brought up to do a job properly - no matter how long it takes, you do it right. Just can't understand bodging things - always comes back to haunt you.

Maggy
26-02-2007, 02:22
The house is full of them. I was brought up to do a job properly - no matter how long it takes, you do it right. Just can't understand bodging things - always comes back to haunt you.

Ah I've missed the household tips...Glad to have you back...:tu:

Ramrod
26-02-2007, 08:41
Why don't you plaster the wall? Or get a plasterer in to do it?

zing_deleted
26-02-2007, 08:49
smack the bad work off the wall and then fill using plaster coving adhesive(comes dry in a bag for about 6 quid). If its deep fill layer at a time. The adhesive will dry like plaster and be sandable very quickly so the job does not need to take long. If your not happy with the finish sand it slightly back and over fill with fine surface filler then sand back flat job done in a day

Graham M
26-02-2007, 09:09

Same here, our bathroom was originally tiled on top of WALLPAPER!!! (Which would come away if you tugged hard enough), Light Fittings were sured to sealings with WHITE BATHROOM MASTIC because the **** couldn't be bothered to buy proper ceiling/plasterboard fixings, that sort of thing :) OH and one half of one side of our kitchen he couldn't be bothered to plaster so tiled on brick :shocked:

Halcyon
26-02-2007, 10:06
It could be a chest that is cemented into the wall and you have just discovered it's whereabouts ! Millionaire here you come ! Or maybe not.
Good luck in getting it sorted. See if you can plaster over it.

Taf
26-02-2007, 12:35
Be careful if you dig into that plaster... you may find water pipes!!!

AndrewJ
26-02-2007, 15:13
Or gas pipes...I heard a house just went boom... :erm:

greencreeper
26-02-2007, 19:21
It looks like a large square hole was in the wall. Too low for an air vent, so my guess is an old water heater. It's filled with a mixture of something like caulk and plaster. It also looks as though one or more cabinets have been on the wall, including a few tentative drill holes. I've selected a suitably large enough cabinet :D It's not quite wide enough, so a bit of plaster and paint will be needed to cover the exposed bit. It's too shallow to fill successfully - I'd have to dig it all out. That's a big job and you never know what might happen.

MovedGoalPosts
26-02-2007, 19:37
There are plenty of skim plaster type things on offer in the DIY shops. Many will feather to nothing. Have a look at those before you start gouging out great big holes. Filling thin holes can be as easy as big stuff. A bit of PVA adhesive (unibond) watered down can help promote adhesion.

lauzjp
26-02-2007, 19:51
gc - I dunno who you'd ask - perhaps the local council? but I would check for asbestos. it has been found twice in our block :disturbd: