PDA

View Full Version : STB Question

marshal ney
24-02-2007, 22:13
When I had my pace unit installed I removed the phone link connection.
I now want to reconnect this but haven't a clue as to where the connection went as I can't find the original cable.
What do I need to reconnect this please.

Wicked_and_Crazy
24-02-2007, 22:31
What phone link?

Do you mean the ethernet connection?

marshal ney
24-02-2007, 23:03
I have an Ethernet and a USB port at the back of the STB, I presume that there was a cable connected from the Ethernet to the phone line?
Where can I get a replacement?

MovedGoalPosts
24-02-2007, 23:08
Were you using something like VOIP and had broadband via the Set Top Box :confused:

Virgin Media's (ntl's) phone service would normallhy be supplied va a standard type plug in socket fixed to a wall somewhere.

marshal ney
24-02-2007, 23:24
Sorry to be so thick about this and I do appreciate the replies, when the engineer installed my NTL setup, he installed the telephone box then the broadband connection to to the modem he then fitted the set top box for the TV, as I did not want any of my kids at that time being able to order any pay services I disconnected the link from the Pace unit to the adjacent phone outlet. This now means that I cannot get any service when i press 119 or get any pay per view services. How do I get the pace unit connected back to the phone line?

AndyCambs
24-02-2007, 23:35
The return path is not the phone line.
I'm not sure what you've disconnected, but it sounds like you might have to call Customer Service and report at fault.

Stuart
25-02-2007, 00:45
I have an Ethernet and a USB port at the back of the STB, I presume that there was a cable connected from the Ethernet to the phone line?
Where can I get a replacement?

You don't line the phone line to the Ethernet (or any other) socket on the box. When the STB sends data to the head end (as it would for Interactive, or "Red Button" stuff), it sends it back up the Cable, not the phone line.

a good help
25-02-2007, 12:16
as whats been stated here is correct, you dont need to connect the stb to a phone line, you may have had sky in the past and that would have been connected to the phone line, you say you cannot access any PPV or channel 119, on your pace stb, PRESS these buttons and see what it says, PRESS PAGE UP, THEN PAGE DOWN, THEN PRESS THE BLUE BUTTON, on the info screens you will find 2 things of use there, one is return power level let us know what that says, and also look for connection status that should be connection status 5, if it shows 1 reciever locking, 3 ramping or 4 ranging, then you will need to call cust services to have an engineer booked, you say you have a cable modem? if thats working ok i would suggest that you have an issue with the stb, finally, if you stb and modem are in the same room, just look where they are both connected and try to swap the connections around, you could have a faulty spitter, but as i said, if the modem is working then the fault is with the stb,

marshal ney
26-02-2007, 00:20
Thanks for all the help, my connection status shows 3, so I have booked a techie call.

marshal ney
27-02-2007, 10:07
Engineer just left, new stb, all OK now, thanks to everyone for their help