PDA

View Full Version : NTL:250 Using both USB & Ethernet

orm
24-02-2007, 14:12
Came back to NTL today after 6 years away, numerous issues with BT and Sky lead the way.

Anyway, everything installed and working - i'm connected to the Cable Modem via Ethernet and is working at full speed.

However, I connected my Wife's PC to the CModem via the USB cable and no joy - it won't allocate an IP address to her.

I'm wondering if there is something specific I have to do? Drivers are installed fine.

I don't have a router to hand so unsure if i'd need to go down the shoddy route of Internet Connection Sharing through my PC.

Any advice would be most appreciated.

JohnHorb
24-02-2007, 14:15
:welcome:

'fraid you can't use ethernet AND USB, it's one or the other. A router is your best bet, with the ICS route a poor second. (...and if you get a router, make sure it's not an ADSL one with built-in ADSL modem).

MovedGoalPosts
24-02-2007, 14:18
As a workaround, you can power off the modem, unplug the ethernet cable, then plug in the USB. Power up and you can now use that USB connected computer. Reverse that process to go back to the ethernet one. OK for occasional use, but a pain in the backside if you swap regularly.

crowlord
24-02-2007, 14:19
AFAIK the modem will only support one or the other not both.

The easy messy route is ICS however you will need two ethernet ports on the main PC or run via USB which is even more resource hungry.

Its that or a router, others here are more PC literate then me so hang on for other suggestions.

Halcyon
24-02-2007, 14:24
As Rob says, power down the modem, then connect your wife's PC, turn on Modem again, and then you can use her PC.

So that you can both use the Internet, get a cheap Router for about £30

eg. This Linksys one:
http://www.ebuyer.com/UK/product/54774

NTLVictim
24-02-2007, 14:25
Belkin are good as well.

orm
24-02-2007, 14:28
Yeah thought it might be a case of getting a router. Thanks for the suggestions.

I'll set up on ICS for the weekend..will get us through.

Cheers and good to be back.

NTLVictim
24-02-2007, 15:20
There's a thread Here (http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/12/33608529-help-imac-cable-modem-wont-go.html) on the subject, with a few handy links, if your modem gets rejected by ntl/VM.

Ignore the bit about the Imac, the principle's the same.

Slyder
24-02-2007, 17:00
NTL:250 Using both USB & Ethernet

You cant use both methods at the same time. Sorry. :)