PDA

View Full Version : Changing the IP for ex-C&W STB users

Player22
23-02-2007, 17:21
I've had the same IP for nearly a year now now and need to change it for many reasons

I've tried:

- When I switch the STB and Router off for 12 hours it makes no difference
- Changing the clone MAC address feature of my router makes no difference, I changed the last 2 digit from 36 to 37 but router doesn't get an external IP from NTL

Anything else?

Please note I am using STB connected to router and not standalone cable modem

Chris W
23-02-2007, 17:25
have a look here

http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/94/33602406-how-change-your-ip-address.html

Player22
23-02-2007, 17:28
Yea I have after doing forum search but I don't have USB on my STB and I tried changing MAC which made no difference as I said, my router would just show 0.0.0.0 as external IP

BTW, I called Virgin/NTL and they can't change it for me and said to change ISP provider, damn fools.

Paul K
23-02-2007, 18:14
When you changed the router MAC did you power everything off and then power up the STB, wait for lights to lock, power up the router, wait for lights to lock/settle and then power up the PC?
If you didn't the STB won't recognise the new MAC and will ignore the router and therefor your PC.

scrotnig
23-02-2007, 18:18
To try and force an ip change, it's important to release the existing one first.

In Windows, open a command prompt (Start > Run > cmd)
Type
ipconfig /release
press enter

Then shut the machine down and switch the set top box off.

Best to wait 24 hours (48 would be even better if you can)

Reboot everything, then get a command prompt up again and type:
ipconfig /renew

If that doesn't get a new IP then it's unlikely that you'll be able to change it.

Player22
23-02-2007, 18:33
When you changed the router MAC did you power everything off and then power up the STB, wait for lights to lock, power up the router, wait for lights to lock/settle and then power up the PC?
If you didn't the STB won't recognise the new MAC and will ignore the router and therefor your PC.

That's a good idea, I'll try reset the STB after changing the MAC on the router, I previously only reset the router and not the STB.

To try and force an ip change, it's important to release the existing one first.

Type
ipconfig /release
press enter

I'll try that too, my router doesn't have a DHCP "release" feature only renew, so I'll connect my STB direct to my laptop and release the DHCP IP address, hopefully that'll work.

jcw00
23-02-2007, 18:48

Type
ipconfig /release
press enter

Then shut the machine down and switch the set top box off.

Best to wait 24 hours (48 would be even better if you can)

Reboot everything, then get a command prompt up again and type:
ipconfig /renew

If that doesn't get a new IP then it's unlikely that you'll be able to change it.

This will only release and renew the internal IP address (i.e. the IP address behind the router)

Connect your PC using the USB cable to the modem, as this will give you a different IP address. Leave as long as possible (48+ hours) so the old IP address is released and then used by another customer. Then swap back to the ethernet connection via your router.

:no: Please note whilst using the USB cable you wont have the router hardware firewall.

Player22
25-02-2007, 13:46
How many days does everyone else get from the DHCP server for your IPs? Mine gives 7 days. Just thinking it might be different based on location.

JohnHorb
25-02-2007, 14:00
Yes, but don't forget DHCP leaes are renewed automatically if you connect during (I think) the second half of the lease period).

Mr Clean
25-02-2007, 14:28
Bypass the router and go straight to the STB for connection 'til your old IP's lease expires. Then hope that someone picks up that IP address and you get a new one when reconnecting the router.

A few days not using the router should do it.

Worked form me when I was on STB Connection.

jcw00
25-02-2007, 14:38
How many days does everyone else get from the DHCP server for your IPs? Mine gives 7 days. Just thinking it might be different based on location.

My IP lease is only 10 hours, however as the router keeps the connection alive I have had my IP address for over a year. The IP address is renewed half way throughs it's current lease, in my case 5 hours.

The only way to change the IP address is change the MAC address of your router, I did and got a differnet IP, set back to the default and I got my original IP back. Or (as above) turn off your router wait for the current lease to expire, and hope someone else gets your IP.

Player22
26-02-2007, 01:55
OK it worked.

I had to reset the STB after changing the router's MAC address. Something I didn't do before.

Thanks all.

Stuart
26-02-2007, 02:18
Guys, bear in mind that the OP has a Set Top Box (not Cable Modem), so the USB option won't work.