PDA

View Full Version : swapping from usb to ethernet

mcpow
22-02-2007, 20:48
can anyone help - just bought a wireless router but we need to change from usb to ethernet. the process sounds really simple but when I do as instructed on the virgin site (on numerous occasions i can't connect to the web but as soon as i reconnect the usb hey presto connected. Also the ntl home 100 lights up when switched on but the 'enet' light doesn't show anything. I've even tried reinstalling via the broadband jump installer but get an error message 23

Any ideas please - i'm pulling my hair out

dcclanuk
22-02-2007, 20:58
can anyone help - just bought a wireless router but we need to change from usb to ethernet. the process sounds really simple but when I do as instructed on the virgin site (on numerous occasions i can't connect to the web but as soon as i reconnect the usb hey presto connected. Also the ntl home 100 lights up when switched on but the 'enet' light doesn't show anything. I've even tried reinstalling via the broadband jump installer but get an error message 23

Any ideas please - i'm pulling my hair out

I had a similar problem! had ntl:250 modem tho!

I reformatted and used the ntl cd, and then ethernet worked!

But if u CAN, then REFORMAT, and then just connect via ethernet WITHOUT USING THE NTL SETUP DISC. It should work fine:D

Good Luck!

P.S. :welcome: to the forum!;)

mcpow
22-02-2007, 21:00
at the risk of sounding really thick - how do i reformat?

Thanks

Nikesh
22-02-2007, 22:03
How to reformat:
Put your Windows XP disk in the CD ROM drive and wait for the installation menu to come up.

Choose "Install Windows XP" then it will go into a new screen that lists a bunch of steps. From the from the pulldown menu choose "New Installation (Advanced)" and let the software do the rest.

It will wipe out all the data on your hard drive and put a fresh copy of Windows XP on the system.

Make sure you have a backup of your documents and programs if needed.

Hope this helps. :tu:

Slyder
22-02-2007, 22:11
You are turning the modem of at the mains for about 30seconds between changing from usb to ethernet aint ya... :confused:

from wot I remember, its suggested you turn the modem and router off for about 30 seconds, turn the modem on and wait for the lights to settle... and then the router... wait for the lights to settle on that.. then you can turn the comp on.

or was it router first, then modem... (always get the order mixed up)

Nikesh
22-02-2007, 22:12
You are turning the modem of at the mains for about 30seconds between changing from usb to ethernet aint ya... :confused:

from wot I remember, its suggested you turn the modem and router off for about 30 seconds, turn the modem on and wait for the lights to settle... and then the router... wait for the lights to settle on that.. then you can turn the comp on.

I always turn the router on first before the modem... :confused:

dcclanuk
22-02-2007, 22:16

thats wat is SUPPOSED TO HAPPEN!

When it didnt, a reformat worked;)

RedDragon
22-02-2007, 22:22
It sounds as though the ethernet socket on the cm may be faulty, you should at least see the enet light come on. This will probably require a cm swap out.
The turn on sequence is cm - router - pc.

mcpow
22-02-2007, 22:48
I'm turning everything off - unplugging the cable from the wall, but still nothing works. I'm loath to reinstall XP sounds too techno for me. Think it may well be the modem as the enet light doesn't come on when the modem is 'rebooted' Does anyone know if Virgin will give me a new modem if this is the case. Also if I bought an adapter for the usb to take the ethernet do you think this would end all my problems. One can only hope.

Thanks to you all for trying to help me:dunce:

MovedGoalPosts
22-02-2007, 23:00
Reformating the PC seems a rather drastic solution, but does ensure you are getting things back to "clean" settings in case something odd is corrupting it.

Before going down that route lets check you have the basics. Sort out connections wired first before trying to get the wireless stuff going.

Ignore the router for now, and try and connect direct between the PC and Modem wired: Power everything off. Unplug the USB cables from modem and PC. Plug in ethernet cable from modem to PC, power on Modem and let settle, power on PC. Do you now have an internet connection?

If you don't have a connection, is the ethernet card in your PC enabled? If not, enable it, power cycle everything and try again.

If your ethernet connection on the PC is enabled, but you can't get a connection, try just connecting the PC wired to the router (forget the modem). If you power cycle the router and PC you should be able to browse to the router's admin pages - check the manual for the specific IP address.

Let us know the results of the above.

mcpow
22-02-2007, 23:12
Haven't even tried to deal with the router as I can't even get a connection from the modem to the pc. How can I check the ethernet card installed in the PC (manufacturers that is) is actually working. when i go in to network connections it tells me that 1394 adapter is disabled and that realtrek (or something like that) is unplugged.:confused:

Thanks again

Nikesh
22-02-2007, 23:16
Haven't even tried to deal with the router as I can't even get a connection from the modem to the pc. How can I check the ethernet card installed in the PC (manufacturers that is) is actually working. when i go in to network connections it tells me that 1394 adapter is disabled and that realtrek (or something like that) is unplugged.:confused:

Thanks again

Sounds like your modems broken....

MovedGoalPosts
22-02-2007, 23:17
Realtek is probably the network card. 1394 is firewire don't worry about that one.

Check the ethernet card by connecting ethernet between the PC and the router's LAN side connections. Things should light up and hopefully it will say it's got a connection.

If there is no connection between router and PC then either the ethernet card on the PC needs to be looked at, or the cable you are using is faulty.

You can try uninstalling, disabling / enabling the network card and re-installing the drivers with any current ones.

mcpow
22-02-2007, 23:36
I'm afraid all this uninstalling, installing sounds a bit drastic to me (bit of a techno phob!!!). If i forget about the router and just attempt to access the internet via ethernet rather than usb is there an easy work round if the ethernet connection on the modem is broken. I should add that the modem is probably about 4 years old and we have always connected via usb

thanks to all:dunce:

---------- Post added at 23:36 ---------- Previous post was at 23:23 ----------

just plugged the ethernet cable into the back of the pc and then into the router (didn't plug into the modem) and the little internet light on the netgear router came on - is that good news? :angel:

MovedGoalPosts
22-02-2007, 23:40
You won't be able to get a router to work reliably with any sort of fudge trying to get it to connect with USB.

We need to establish if it is in fact your modem that is broken - in which case it's a simple call to VM Faults, or if the problem is your own kit.

This simple test will establish if your PC and router are OK or not:
Power off PC. Unplug any connection wires into the PC from the modem. Connect a single ethernet cable from one of the router's 4 lan ports to the ethernet card. Power on router, power on PC. The router show have a lit led saying that an ethernet cable is connected. If you look at your ethernet connections it should show it has an IP adress.

If there is no connection with the above setup do not blame the modem, you've got to start fiddling with the PC.

mcpow
23-02-2007, 14:57
Just had thought, do you think anything could have changed since we have changed over to digital as I did ask the installation engineer to tidy up the connection previously installed as it was rather bulky and messy to say the least.

Would I be able to test the modem by disconnecting my modem and trying out another modem - my friend has almost the same modem?

Any other suggestions to connect the ethernet

Slyder
24-02-2007, 16:57
Is the SYNC light staying on or flashing.

Im wondering if this could be a tcp/ip stack issue ?

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/299357

mcpow
02-03-2007, 15:47
Hi all

Just to update NTL engineers have been round and it was the modem - seems that the old ntl home 100 did have a few problems with the ethernet connection and they have replaced with a 250 (little blue) and everything works fine now.

Just need to set up the router so maybe I'll be back soon

Thanks to all for your advice.

Cheers;) :)

MovedGoalPosts
02-03-2007, 15:48
Thanks for the update. Pleased to know you are making progress.