PDA

View Full Version : Cable Specification

salamander501
22-02-2007, 20:10
I am to move house in the near future and although the new property has a brown NTL box at the front of the building there is no evidence of an interior cable running from it. I wish to have tv/phone/broadband in a room at the rear of the building and as construction is still in progress I am considering laying the cable myself whilst flooring/walls are still unfinished. The idea being that equipment can be connected at a time to be selected in the next month or so. Naturally I need to know the exact specification of the cable used and if it is freely available to purchase. Can anyone provide this information. Comments would also be welcome as to the feasibility of the idea. I have only a two-week period in which this can be done as new flooring is shortly to be laid. Another option is to lay some conduit for a future cable to be fed through. Obviously I could contact Virgin direct and ask them to check it out but I think this may well delay the build if I have to wait for them. Thanks for your input.

Graham M
22-02-2007, 20:25
The engineers will probably refuse to use any cable than what they supply as any bad connections, faulty cabling, etc can cause problems not only to you but to your neighbours. However I have seen a few installations where install techs seem to have said "Ok but we didn't see it" or where the kit has been moved afterwards.

Chris W
22-02-2007, 20:29
have a look here:

http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/62/33608113-what-cable-do-i-need-telewest.html

RS100
22-02-2007, 22:26
When I had my NTL installed a few month back i put the cable ready for the installer which are in the walls, I put very high qulity webro wf100 which is high qulity than ntl use (I know this as i work in broadcast now and i use to be network / headend engineer for cable tel(ntl) ) i also put thomas betts snap & seal f conns on the end ready in the omni box all the installer had to do was hook it up he said it was the most easy Tv,Broadband,telephone install he has ever done,

salamander501
23-02-2007, 18:00
Many thanks for the replies and advice.