PDA

View Full Version : Just a few queries regarding V+ box install

jem
22-02-2007, 10:26
This post does span queries about broadband and tv installations so firstly my appologies if it's in the wrong section. I've been with ntl for about eight years (I think it may have been C&W when I joined) and I have to say I've never experienced any of the problems with their service that others have maybe I was just lucky. Anyway I've arranged to have a V+ box installed in mid-march and at the moment I have the 4meg broadband through a Samsung STB (ex- Bromley area). Realising that the V+ box can't supply the BB connection I also arranged for an engineer to fit a cable modem, ideally earlier so if not without connection but as it turns out they are coming on the same day.

So I have two queries;
1) My broadband is connected to a cable router which has one PC attached to it along with a wireless access point. The router is doing NAT and DHCP for my home network. Will it literally be a case of swopping the cat5 cable from the STB to the SACM and bouncing both the modem and router? And if not what will I need to be looking out for? Also do I need to arrange for my old email address to be migrated to the new account. I guess (from reading other posts) that getting a SACM involves getting a new account and hence email setup etc. If so will I get the new details before the modem is installed or at the same time.

2) I have a Samsung HD ready TV (and very nice it is too). It has only one HDMI socket which currently is occupied by an up-scalling DVD player. So I intend to connect the V+ box to my TV via component. Now I've checked the specs for the old Telewest TV-Drive and it does support HD output over component although some 'protected content may not be seen'. Fair enough component doesn't support HDCP, what I'd like to know is is there currently any protected content on VoD? If so I'll need to think again and in the future I'll see about getting an HDMI switcher.

Many thanks in advance.

John

Toto
22-02-2007, 10:43
Hi.

From the modem point of view, the engineer will have to split the Cat5 cable, and feed one to the new modem, and the other to the V+ Box. You will have a new account set up, and your original emails will have to be migrated to the new account, this should not be a problem at all.

Your modem will need to be connected to the router, the ntl servers will then learn the router MAC address. I'm uncertain if you will need to go through a set up process via the autoreg system. Everything should be OK.

I can't answer your question about the HDMI connection, but I am sure somebody here can help.

Good luck. :)

Crooky
22-02-2007, 16:01
When I transferred from a STB CM to a stand alone CM all I had to do was transfer the cat5 cable and reprovision the router via autoreg.

You shouldn't neeed to migrate anything as your PC connections will still be behind the router.

If you were to keep your current STB as a second box you could just install a longer cat5 cable and keep the STB supplying your BB, I think.

AndyCambs
22-02-2007, 16:39
When I transferred from a STB CM to a stand alone CM all I had to do was transfer the cat5 cable and reprovision the router via autoreg.

You shouldn't neeed to migrate anything as your PC connections will still be behind the router.

If you were to keep your current STB as a second box you could just install a longer cat5 cable and keep the STB supplying your BB, I think.

I have that set up - PACE downstairs, and Samsung in the bedroom where the broadband comes from. But they're taking the opportunity of upgrading me to SACM at the same time.

I'm curious as to why the emails have to be migrated - I use Outlook for emails, so what needs migrating?