PDA

View Full Version : Not getting correct IP from NTL

scorour
21-02-2007, 16:01
Hi,
Installed a wireless router the other night and no matter what I did, the router and/or the PC would not get the correct ip address from NTL.

It would initially assign the 192.168.100.10 address to whichever device was connected at the time (router or PC). I know this normally suggests the white cable is unplugged so cannot receive an IP, but all cabled up fine. After so many seconds, the PC would get the 169 address, if it was the router connected, it would just lose the IP altogether.

I contacted NTL who had me do the usual, power off's etc, and finished saying if it does not work, then to call back as it must be the modem. The person had a spare modem so tried that and still the same.

The person who I was installing it for phoned NTL back the next day explaining they were told an engineer would come out, but the tech support person said they would not and said it was a Windows problem.

I have done many installs routers on NTL etc so know the basics, and cannot believe both a PC and a router (connected at seperate times for testing) would both get the 192.168 address from the modem.

Any info as to what the problem might be, the person based on what NTL said (without telling me) took the PC to a computer shop who said the problem was the certainly the ethernet card and fitted another for £25 :shocked:

Cheers

videodj
21-02-2007, 18:02
What router are you using?

Does the modem work ok, when connected directly to pc?

If it does then the issue is with the router.

Power off the router and modem, power on the modem, what for lights to settle then power on router.

You may need to clone the mac address, occassionally I'v had similar issues and once I clone the mac address, all worked fine.

Can you access the router homepage?

parpenbhwarg
21-02-2007, 23:13
Does the modem work ok, when connected directly to pc?

Hi,
Installed a wireless router the other night and no matter what I did, the router and/or the PC would not get the correct ip address from NTL.

It would initially assign the 192.168.100.10 address to whichever device was connected at the time (router or PC). I know this normally suggests the white cable is unplugged so cannot receive an IP, but all cabled up fine. After so many seconds, the PC would get the 169 address, if it was the router connected, it would just lose the IP altogether.

The answer to your question Sir has been answered by the original post ;)

scorour
22-02-2007, 14:32
I was doing this for someone who had already bought the router (Belkin bogstandard). They took the router back and got a different one, so a new NIC for PC and new router and they say it works OK now.

I just find it hard to believe that both the PC and the Router, were both faulty and both received the same 192 address from NTL. I just wondered if anyone new if this has happened previously and why, in case I come up against it again.

I do lots of wireless router installs/NTL configuration.

Richy99
22-02-2007, 17:04
the 192 address comes from the router

Chris W
22-02-2007, 17:06
sounds like the modem isn't locking onto it's signal properly- if the modem is offline, you will normally get an ip address 192.168.100.3 or 192.168.100.10

What is the light sequence on the modem?