PDA

View Full Version : NTL Broadband Problem

Rogue33
21-02-2007, 15:33
Hi Guys, I'm having a little trouble with my broadband. Spoke to NTL CS and they were most unhelpful although have an engineer coming next week, just lead me through the usual power off power on check your cables are connected crap so I though I'd come here for a bit of infomation.

I'm at work atm so can't check anything but couldn't do too much at home without the internet connection !

At home I have NTL's/Virgin media's broadband, cable TV and phone. I have one cable through the wall split into one for the TV (PACE STB) and one for the modem (NTL home 200).

Now thats the background here is the problem, when turned on the modem gets to the point where power and sync lights are on stable and the ready light flashes (and either USB or Ethernet light is on depending on which cable connects to my pc), and thats how it stays for as long as you leave it (its been on over a day now). Now I thought I'd switch my STB off and on to see if it was a problem with the incomming cable or just the modem, low and behold the STB didn't work and got stuck on displaying TUNE, at this point I called NTL CS for almost an hour until they booked an engineer. After a little web trawling I found I could fix the STB by holding the down arrow while switching it on, this causes it to say BOOT instead of TUNE but the picture and channels then comes on, if I switch it on and off without the down key is gets stuck on TUNE.

Anyone any ideas whats wrong with the modem ? I know I have an engineer coming but I like to understand things and maybe fix it myself.

Secondly and I know this is maybe a question for the TV forum but what does it signify that the STB gets stuck on tune but comes on with the down key held ? Does this show what is wrong with my connection and also the modems problem ?

Thanks muchly for any help or comments :)

JMcB
21-02-2007, 15:39
i got my TV (V+XL)/ Phone/ 2meg BB in about a week and a half ago NTL/VM sent me out a letter with info like User Name and Password for setting up the BB.

Rogue33
21-02-2007, 16:40
i got my TV (V+XL)/ Phone/ 2meg BB in about a week and a half ago NTL/VM sent me out a letter with info like User Name and Password for setting up the BB.

I've had the lot installed for about 3 years now. The problems only started earlier this week.

Rogue33
22-02-2007, 16:53
Checked the event log and getting a load of the following errors, continually.

'No Ranging Response received - T3 time-out'

Also noticed that the upstread Db was flicking between 17 and 50something every 5 mins or so.

If no one has any ideas I'll post what the engineer did once he/she has been this weekend.

Paul K
22-02-2007, 16:55
If your upstream goes wrong then your BB will most definately go wrong.

Just John
22-02-2007, 19:30
Lost all BB service now...sync light is flashing and no ready light..and whats up with technical support..?:rolleyes:

NTLVictim
22-02-2007, 19:34
Except for a few islands of competency, VM technical support is a myth.

RedDragon
22-02-2007, 21:49
It sounds as though you have a low signal downstream and no signal upstream, this is probably being caused by a faulty connection on the cable feeding your STB and CM. Assuming all the connections are tight I'm afraid you will have to wait for the tech.