PDA

View Full Version : should i get a landline?

traveller 57
20-02-2007, 02:51
hi,im just back from holiday to find ntl have merged with virgin.
i was on the £17.99 pcm broadband package and didnt really need a landline.
however i have a friend in thailand i would like to call using an i phone overseas £5 cheap rate credit card thingy you buy from the corner shop.(cant think what theyre called!) :erm:
if i was to use one of these cheap call 'thingys',would it work with virgin landline and how much would it cost on the landline bill to use one?it would be ideal for me for the extra £2 a month but i dont want to be running up big phone bills.sorry if this is a bit vague but you guessed it,yes,im thick :Yikes: hope someone can help with this.cheers,dave

PaulH225
20-02-2007, 08:55
hi,im just back from holiday to find ntl have merged with virgin.
i was on the £17.99 pcm broadband package and didnt really need a landline.
however i have a friend in thailand i would like to call using an i phone overseas £5 cheap rate credit card thingy you buy from the corner shop.(cant think what theyre called!) :erm:
if i was to use one of these cheap call 'thingys',would it work with virgin landline and how much would it cost on the landline bill to use one?it would be ideal for me for the extra £2 a month but i dont want to be running up big phone bills.sorry if this is a bit vague but you guessed it,yes,im thick :Yikes: hope someone can help with this.cheers,dave

Usually the cheap-rate phone cards give you an 0800 number to call which would be free from your Virgin Media landline. My girlfriend used to use them all the time when they had NTL at their house.

Another alternative is to get a VoIP service from someone like FWD (FWD (http://www.freeworlddialup.com/)) who give free access to toll-free numbers. That way you could use your PC as a phone and save yourself the line rental.

Hope that helps,

Paul

BenMcr
22-02-2007, 23:35
The other factor to consider is that with a phoneline from VM you also get free access to Customer Services AND Broadband Support

traveller 57
22-02-2007, 23:50
good thinking that BenMcr,i never thought of that one.thats one to add to the yest list.still thinking though.cheers,dave

ACDeag
27-02-2007, 18:29
good thinking that BenMcr,i never thought of that one.thats one to add to the yest list.still thinking though.cheers,dave

Get a BT line if you really need a phone line, 25p a month cheaper line rental than VM if you opt for paper free billing.

You can then shop around for the cheapest supplier for calls. With a VM phone you cannot do that. VM are expensive for calls as well. A 20 min weekday evening call on VM is 66p on BT would be 6p, however you can get a call supplier on a BT line where you get free evening and weekend calls for no charge. See

http://www.planet-talk.co.uk/SaverProducts.aspx?source=saver

So long as your property has once had a BT line they should reconnect you for free.

parpenbhwarg
28-02-2007, 15:05
Get a BT line if you really need a phone line, 25p a month cheaper line rental than VM if you opt for paper free billing.

You can then shop around for the cheapest supplier for calls. With a VM phone you cannot do that. VM are expensive for calls as well. A 20 min weekday evening call on VM is 66p on BT would be 6p, however you can get a call supplier on a BT line where you get free evening and weekend calls for no charge. See

http://www.planet-talk.co.uk/SaverProducts.aspx?source=saver

So long as your property has once had a BT line they should reconnect you for free.

I'll agree with you that VM are expensive for calls to a certain extent (I think their 6p connection fee takes the biscuit), however just because you have a phone line with VM does not stop you from using 0844/0845/etc. access numbers to dial international locations.

For example calling a Thailand landline on 0844 200 8585 (0844calls.co.uk (http://www.0844calls.co.uk/index2.php))will cost 0.5p/min from either a VM or BT landline. Even better if you have an O2 contract with inclusive minutes then on most tariffs it will actually be free.

traveller 57
28-02-2007, 15:26
thanks for the replies people,im still looking into various options.i do have a BT line into my house but had phone disconnected years ago.im on virgin cable broadband.my lady :angel: in Thailand :Sun: is trying to get her head around using yahoo messenger,hope she can work it out.she doesnt have a landline so it would be to her mobile i would be calling IF i get the landline.im on o2 PAYG and that is mega expensive.
my mate has just got back from the phillipines and im having a talk with him tonight as he has the VM 2 for £20 broadband and landline deal.im sure that after looking at his bills i will be better informed.thanks for your continued comments on this thread.dave

traveller 57
14-03-2007, 23:32
well today i ordered the phone from virgin and im going to have a good look at the 0844calls website and compare it to the international phone cards.thanks for the input and ill keep you up to date.cheers,dave