PDA

View Full Version : Replacement SKY set top box

The Jackal
19-02-2007, 11:10
Anyone know where I can get a replacement box from ?

Found these : http://www.simplydigital.co.uk/acatalog/Sky_Plus_Receivers.html

IS it just plug and go with the old smartcard.

STB busted by kids :( Do you think sky will replace it or if I upgrade to sky+ will they charge me for the old box?

Any help much appreaciated

Derek
19-02-2007, 11:15
If it's just a bog standard box you can grab one off ebay or the link you gave. It's just a case of putting the card in and phoning them to pair it to the box.

I'd assume if you upgrade to Sky+ they would charge you whatever the current costs for the Sky+ STB is. I think it's £49 plus installation.

The Jackal
19-02-2007, 11:22
Thanks Derek for the info.... I tell you what my brother in law was quite impressed by the quick response :)

The upgrade route looks good but not sure if sky will charge for the busted box :rolleyes: If anyone knows that this is case please let me know.

Cheers

Creative
19-02-2007, 11:26
Thanks Derek for the info.... I tell you what my brother in law was quite impressed by the quick response :)

The upgrade route looks good but not sure if sky will charge for the busted box :rolleyes: If anyone knows that this is case please let me know.

Cheers

The box is yours not Sky's. Even if its less than 12 months old, then I'd imagine Sky will let you upgrade as it means you are taking out a new 12 month contract with them.

Derek
19-02-2007, 11:27

Nope. It's your box to do with as you please.

That's how sky get out of fixing faults with boxes (assuming it's over a year old)

gazzae
19-02-2007, 11:27

Cheers

The box is your property so you won't be charged.

The Jackal
19-02-2007, 11:40
Awesome responses... Looks like he'll go for the sky+ upgrade option.

Just had a read around and am getting interested in sat stuff... I'll probably go for a free sky setup the one where you pay 200 odd for some freeview channels.