PDA

View Full Version : Beyond a joke

Wolfsbayne
18-02-2007, 14:52
Sick to death of NTL and their incompetence . . .

From December 12 to 15 there was no internet connection at all on my street (my daughter lives on the same street and she had no service). I rang technical support and was told their was a problem at their end, end eventually the service resumed however, it has been absolutely terrible. It's on less than 50% of the time, it can be on for a couple of hours then off for hours then back on again, etc. It usually goes off around 4pm which is predictable with it being peak time, etc and likely that its ntl's fault.

So I rang them back and was told that there was a problem with the modem and an engineer would come round. An engineer did come round but he said the modem was fine (internet was of course working fine at this time in the morning) and that it must be a loose wire in the wireless router. As the router is around four or five years old I thought that perhaps this could be a reason and so left it at that, the internet did seem to get a little better after I reinstalled the router (coincidence I now find) so I left it again.

Last week the internet went down again for several hours and so I purchased a new router and receiver (£60) installed them, got a decent connection and thought the problem was over. No chance, at 4pm the internet went down again so it wasnt the router. I rang technical support and was told again that it was the modem but an engineer couldnt come out to change it until Monday (five days later). Im an OU student and need the internet connection and find five days for a five minute job a ridiculous time to wait, I asked for compensation for the lack of service over the past two months and was told customer services would have to do this, so they put me through.

I spoke to customer services and explained the situation and was told that they couldnt refund me, only technical support could do a refund as it was a fault causing the poor service. Well, again NTL were trying to pass me from pillar to post as they always do so I asked to speak to a supervisor, I was told there were none available, I said I would wait but I had been on the phone for half an hour and couldnt afford the call (im disabled, I dont have the money to waste on ntl calls), so they said they would call me back, great I thought.

I did get a call back - from tv fault department NOT broadband! Eventually I got through to a advisor from that team to put me back through to customer services where I spoke to a gentleman who was at last more help. He agreed to a £40 compensation of two months internet and £4 for the phone call which isnt brilliant but something, when I asked why I was told customer services couldnt do this before he said it was up to the individual advisor whether they do a refund or not. So the previous advisor who was trying to get me back to technical support was lying! I said that I wanted to make a formal complaint and wanted a written reply and a reference number for the complaint - I was told they don't do this. When I asked how would I know if they had actually put the complaint through I was told that it was logged on the system. So I dont actually know if this is really the case. And I have had previous experience of someone calling me to offer a free months internet due to previous issues, then having the internet cut because I hadnt paid, rang customer services told them to look on the computer about the phone call and free month to be told that there was nothing logged on there! Very convenient.

To add to all of this, because I had to get a new router and receiver, when I set up the receiver on my wife's computer it was working fine. When she restarted the computer had 'crashed' (for want of a better term) and there was a windows dialogue box asking for domain username and password (never set up on there) and I couldnt get any further, so I had to reformat the computer, etc. Have now found it was a compatibility issue with the software and have been able to put the old receiver back on but now her computer is playing up and im expecting it to break down completely at any time. Not only have I brought a new receiver for no reason that I cant use, my wife's computer is just about broken because of it, all because the engineer said everything was fine with ntl when it wasnt and I cant afford to buy her a new computer which was originally a gift.

I have now written a letter and want a written response but I want to know why their staff lie, put the phone down and get the wrong department to ring back, when the engineer blamed the router when tech support said it was the modem which has now been confirmed. Im just at the end of my tether with this and feel ntl are nothing but cowboys.

sithom66
18-02-2007, 15:30
My experience is very similar to yours. NTL staff habitually lie when a problem is embarrassing to the company. My broadband has been dire for nearly six months. At least 5 separate NTL employees have told me in that time that there were no known problems in the area (BN1); now, having finally spoken to someone who was any use, it turns out there's been a known problem since October - which still has no fix time.

I've also experienced support staff simply hanging up on me when a call had gone on too long and I wasn't accepting patent nonsense.

NTL is without doubt the worst company I've ever dealt with, in any sphere. Sclerotic, incompetent and deceitful.

My advice to anyone suffering in this way is make as much trouble for them as possible. Keep phoning, refuse to accept insufficient explanations or refunds, complain to your local trading standards, publicise their failings in all relevant media.

This is a company that needs to be forced to improve, because it obviously won't do so otherwise.

Wolfsbayne
18-02-2007, 15:46
Yes, I think that is the way to go and i've mentioned my intent to do that in my complaint letter, will see what happens over the next week or so but im not expecting anything helpful, to be honest.

shawty
18-02-2007, 16:09
Yes, I think that is the way to go and i've mentioned my intent to do that in my complaint letter, will see what happens over the next week or so but im not expecting anything helpful, to be honest.

To be fair the computer braking wasnt there fault so i wouldnt mention it.

Wolfsbayne
18-02-2007, 16:23
It wasnt their direct fault no but it would never have happened if ntl hadn't lied to me in the first place and misled me into purchasing a new router instead of admitting it was them and their modem, its caused added problems and made the situation worse and all they will say is its not their problem anyway, so I dont see any harm in mentioning it.

shawty
18-02-2007, 16:27
It wasnt their direct fault no but it would never have happened if ntl hadn't lied to me in the first place and misled me into purchasing a new router instead of admitting it was them and their modem, its caused added problems and made the situation worse and all they will say is its not their problem anyway, so I dont see any harm in mentioning it.

Yes but you can not claim for the computer if it breaks. They had nothing to do with that. With all due respect you should of said to him how can it be loose wire and then show him and wiggle it about.

sithom66
18-02-2007, 16:37
By the way, with regard to "logging complaints on the system", don't trust that for a second. I made several complaints before Christmas; a fortnight ago, hey presto - there was no record of any communication regarding my account. The advisor said it may have been lost during an internal systems upgrade.

How convenient.

Also don't trust them if they say they're going to call you back anything other than immediately or in a short time frame. In January, after a long phone conversation, an advisor agreed to look into things further, and phone me back the next morning. Because she couldn't specify a time and i have no mobile, I had to clear a four hour window to wait for the call. Do I even need to say no one phoned?

Wolfsbayne
18-02-2007, 16:44
Im not claiming for the computer, ive never said that at all, im simply mentioning it because it has caused added stress and im not niave enough to think ntl will pay for a new computer. And im sorry if this sounds disrespectful, but when an engineer turns up, the internet is working and he says that the modem is find and its the router, how many people would actually challenge it? When they won't touch the computer or other hardware and you have little knowledge regarding computers and networks anyway, I don't think many people would stand there and argue. This was several weeks ago anyway, what happened this week we are having the engineer come tomorrow about, and yes, we will argue the point then. It's all very well saying 'you should have done this or that' and yes, in hindsight its easy to acknowledge what I should have said but things seldom happen like that at the actual occasion.

And show and wriggle what about exactly? With all due respect, my main issue here is unreliable connection and extremely poor customer service, not a debate over the workings of a wireless router.

---------- Post added at 16:44 ---------- Previous post was at 16:42 ----------

By the way, with regard to "logging complaints on the system", don't trust that for a second. I made several complaints before Christmas; a fortnight ago, hey presto - there was no record of any communication regarding my account. The advisor said it may have been lost during an internal systems upgrade.

How convenient.

Also don't trust them if they say they're going to call you back anything other than immediately or in a short time frame. In January, after a long phone conversation, an advisor agreed to look into things further, and phone me back the next morning. Because she couldn't specify a time and i have no mobile, I had to clear a four hour window to wait for the call. Do I even need to say no one phoned?

Yes, they did call back immediately just the wrong department! I don't have a mobile either, luckily Im at home most of the time or someone else is but I don't trust a word they say. I thought it was bad enough over the summer when I was promised one thing then got disconnected and the promise wasn't logged (though that eventually got sorted) but now, im looking for an alternative isp asap.

sithom66
18-02-2007, 16:52
imho, you do have a legitimate grievance regarding the router issue, because the engineer shouldn't have blamed your hardware without specific evidence that it was at fault. It's easy to eliminate router issues by plugging into the modem direct, so even if he could find no fault with the modem, he should have suggested you try that next time the problem occurred to rule out router problems.

Wolfsbayne
18-02-2007, 17:09
imho, you do have a legitimate grievance regarding the router issue, because the engineer shouldn't have blamed your hardware without specific evidence that it was at fault. It's easy to eliminate router issues by plugging into the modem direct, so even if he could find no fault with the modem, he should have suggested you try that next time the problem occurred to rule out router problems.

Thanks, that's my way of thinking too ;)

shawty
18-02-2007, 17:34
Im not claiming for the computer, ive never said that at all, im simply mentioning it because it has caused added stress and im not niave enough to think ntl will pay for a new computer. And im sorry if this sounds disrespectful, but when an engineer turns up, the internet is working and he says that the modem is find and its the router, how many people would actually challenge it? When they won't touch the computer or other hardware and you have little knowledge regarding computers and networks anyway, I don't think many people would stand there and argue. This was several weeks ago anyway, what happened this week we are having the engineer come tomorrow about, and yes, we will argue the point then. It's all very well saying 'you should have done this or that' and yes, in hindsight its easy to acknowledge what I should have said but things seldom happen like that at the actual occasion.

And show and wriggle what about exactly? With all due respect, my main issue here is unreliable connection and extremely poor customer service, not a debate over the workings of a wireless router.

---------- Post added at 16:44 ---------- Previous post was at 16:42 ----------

Yes, they did call back immediately just the wrong department! I don't have a mobile either, luckily Im at home most of the time or someone else is but I don't trust a word they say. I thought it was bad enough over the summer when I was promised one thing then got disconnected and the promise wasn't logged (though that eventually got sorted) but now, im looking for an alternative isp asap.

If your sat there and the enigneer is sat there and the internet is working and he suggests a loose wire in your router the first thing someone would say is that well its working fine now, it works fine when i move the cables going into the router and it works fine when i pick the router up and move it and i loose my connection at certain times of the day, how is it a loose wire. Regardless of that why mention thew computer to them? They wont acknowledge the fact that the computer is broke or on the way to braking and that you had to reformat it, they will look at it and say thats got nothing to do with us. You will be wasting your own time by even writing it down. And correct me if im wrong but i dont think he said go and buy a new router and try that, unless you just havent mentioned it.

Wolfsbayne
18-02-2007, 17:48
I've just said my issue isnt with the wireless router but over the internet connection itself and customer service, the engineer did suggest a new router as an internal loose wire cant be fixed (I never said it was a loose 'cable') and it has added to an already stressful situation.

I am not going to argue over something that isnt something ive highlighted as a major problem, I will mention it in the letter because a) I have the right to write what I want to about a situation caused by ntl based on what I feel has been directly or indirectly caused by them and their representatives and b) I do feel it is a valid point when an engineer says the router is a problem try a new one and that a) doesnt work and b) causes further problems.

I also have a law degree and know enough about contracts, obligations and the like to know when I have the right to complain about something and the details to include. This is the last I will comment on this particular aspect of the case because I don't want an argument on my thread, I want to hear other people's experiences with NTL in particular with internet connection issues and poor customer service and if they were ever resolved.

shawty
18-02-2007, 17:59
I've just said my issue isnt with the wireless router but over the internet connection itself and customer service, the engineer did suggest a new router as an internal loose wire cant be fixed (I never said it was a loose 'cable') and it has added to an already stressful situation.

I am not going to argue over something that isnt something ive highlighted as a major problem, I will mention it in the letter because a) I have the right to write what I want to about a situation caused by ntl based on what I feel has been directly or indirectly caused by them and their representatives and b) I do feel it is a valid point when an engineer says the router is a problem try a new one and that a) doesnt work and b) causes further problems.

I also have a law degree and know enough about contracts, obligations and the like to know when I have the right to complain about something and the details to include. This is the last I will comment on this particular aspect of the case because I don't want an argument on my thread, I want to hear other people's experiences with NTL in particular with internet connection issues and poor customer service and if they were ever resolved.

Yes but the computer has nothing to do with them, so writing about it will acheive nothing, but if you want to include it then fair enough i just dont see why when we all know nothing will happen regarding the computer. Routers are not supposed to brake computers so when he suggested a new one didnt expect it to 'brake' the computer. Well you seen adiment to right about something thats not going to change anything so fair enough.