PDA

View Full Version : help me please on the subject of the 10meg :(

dar242001
17-02-2007, 19:03
hi all, before i start, let me tell you that im not lazy and i have read older post (sat here for the last 2hrs in fact) but still sat here with head ache scratching me head.

Up until this morning i had 4meg, with no problems whatsoever, very pleased in fact. I rang ntl or virgin whatever the are called now, for a diferent matter, but whilst on the phone i enquired about 10meg.
Anyway, ill try cut it short, i ended up talking my way into 10meg, at quite a bit cheaper than i was paying for the 4meg. Great, i thought!

I often checked my speed on the millions of speed tests site, and got around the 3-4meg mark.
However, since upgrding, im getting around 0.6:shocked:

Ive allowed plenty time for the system to be updated, and anyway surely it shouldnt have gone slower. I have also unplugged the modem about 5 times, sometimes for up to 30mins, and still no better.

Now although i dont know the make of the modem, and it has no name/brand on (as in samsung, sony, black and dekker etc lol) it is a slimish silver type one and lots of blackpool aluminations on the front flashing, also on the back it has this:

Model No. 08004EU
ntl: 200

hope this helps

i connect via ethernet, and have a via rhine II fast ethernet adapter in my pc

Can someone of you kind people, check my hardware or whatever you can from this info and help me please..I mean like, is the modem any good for 10meg, is my network card ok etc?

i really do appreciate you help, thanks

i would obviously ring nthell up but they are now closed :td:

thanks again, and sorry for the long nagging post

Paul K
17-02-2007, 19:08
What file got sent to your modem? Could be the wrong one has hit the modem and it's now at the wrong speed all together. Have you rebooted the PC too? Also check you aren't going though a proxy as some have issues occassionally.

Nikesh
17-02-2007, 19:14
The ntl:200 modem should be capable of 10Mb.

Check what speed you're on by going on:

http://192.168.100.1

or

https://autoreg.autoregister.net/cgi-bin/cablecheck

:)

dar242001
17-02-2007, 19:36
hi, thanks for fast reply.

i hve problems logging into the 1st link you sent, it says my log in details are in-correct, yet i can log into my ntl mail and acount etc on the homepage.

as for the other site, i logged in using the root password but where does it say what speed im on? sorry to have to ask but im not so good at techy things as you will learn

on operation configuration i get this:

Network Access : Allowed
Maximum Downstream Data Rate : 10240000
Maximum Upstream Data Rate : 512000
Maximum Upstream Channel Burst : 1600
Modem Capability : Concatenation Enabled, Fragmentation Disabled, PHS Disabled
Maximum Number of CPEs : 1

---------- Post added at 18:36 ---------- Previous post was at 18:35 ----------

What file got sent to your modem? Could be the wrong one has hit the modem and it's now at the wrong speed all together. Have you rebooted the PC too? Also check you aren't going though a proxy as some have issues occassionally.

not sure if, or what file got sent... how do you mean? sorry to sound dumb

im not going through a proxy that im aware of

Hugh
17-02-2007, 19:37
That's 10 meg, alright.

Paul K
17-02-2007, 19:38
You're on 10Mb then. If the speed stays the same then call Virgin Media to get them to check what is going on.

dar242001
17-02-2007, 19:42
so any ideas why im not so fast? or better still why it has slowed down rather that speaded up

just done speed test at speedtest.net and got

date time download upload
2/17/2007 6:39 PM GMT 1196 kb/s 220 kb/s

surely something is wrong?

Nikesh
17-02-2007, 19:42
Maximum Downstream Data Rate : 10240000
Maximum Upstream Data Rate : 512000

Yep, these values show you're on 10Mb. :)

Ring Virgin Media when they're open and find out what's going on. ;)

dar242001
17-02-2007, 19:45
this is my speed when i had 4meg

download upload
3935 kb/s 316 kb/s

now with 10meg i get

download upload
1196 kb/s 220 kb/s

something is wrong :(

bonzoe
17-02-2007, 19:46
Hi, just reading the thread and noticed the cablecheck site, so thought I would give it a try. It seems that my e-mail accounts are not the registered subscriber! How do I found out who is, then he can pay the bills?

Looks as though original poster had the same problem.

dar242001
17-02-2007, 19:46
ok thanks for your help

so it wont be anything at my pc side of things will it? i mean it was fine for 4meg, but would my network card be ok with 10meg if it was ok with 4?

---------- Post added at 18:46 ---------- Previous post was at 18:46 ----------

Hi, just reading the thread and noticed the cablecheck site, so thought I would give it a try. It seems that my e-mail accounts are not the registered subscriber! How do I found out who is, then he can pay the bills?

same problem as i get

Nikesh
17-02-2007, 20:00
You need to login with your account username, this could be different to your email username...

bonzoe
17-02-2007, 20:03
You need to login with your account username, this could be different to your email username...

The login is of the form username@ntlworld.com and uses that to send out a password reminder, so it looks as though e-mail username is required :confused:

Nikesh
17-02-2007, 20:07
The login is of the form username@ntlworld.com and uses that to send out a password reminder, so it looks as though e-mail username is required :confused:

Your account username can also be used for email. You need to find out your account username...

Edit:

Ok, I've been having a look, if you go on this (https://autoreg.autoregister.net/cgi-bin/xtrmail) and type your email address and password it will show you all the email addresses linked to your account. The one that says cannot be modified is your account username.

bonzoe
17-02-2007, 20:16
That's odd. I tried the main account which cannot be altered, doesn't work for me, perhaps because the modem was replaced recently.

The other thing is, not all my registered e-mail accounts show on that link. I'll try something else.

Thanks for your quick reply

Edit: Seems as though they have split my e-mail accounts into 2 groups, giving 2 unchangeable e-mails, mine and my wife's. My wife's is registered to the modem, just hope that they don't start sending 2 lots of bills!!

nopcode
17-02-2007, 20:30
I have a similar issue, Originally my partner had NTL dial up (a long time ago) and when we upgraded to broadband in my name, I found that to access any settings or webspace etc I still had to use the original dial up account (which should have been deactivated).
Logging into webmail or accounts on either email gives me two different lots of email addresses. So I have twice as many as I should :S

To add to the confusion neither of the two accounts shows up as being registered to the cable modem when I tried to upgrade to 10mb via the old NTL website system.

bonzoe
17-02-2007, 20:34
On the old ntl site, my main e-mail address showed ALL e-mail accounts, so somethings happened recently, perhaps the change to Virgin media.