PDA

View Full Version : MAC Address not recognised

Markly Darkly
17-02-2007, 12:39
Hello

Just out of curiosity I went to the broadband upgrade page and when put in my user name and password it came up with the message below (I've blanked out my user name and mac address. What does this mean - surely it can't be right. Should I be concerned. (The mac address it gives is the one on the bottom of my modem)

Thanks for anyone's help

The username (****.*******) entered is not the registered subscriber associated with this cable modem.Please go back and try again with your cable modem username and password. If you need further help, please contact our customer support (0845 454 1111).
When you call customer support, you may be asked for the following information: Application Virgin Media Broadband services upgrade Date & Time 17/02/2007 at 12:35 Your username ****.********* Your Cable Modem Mac Address **************** Your Surname
Your Postcode

Toto
17-02-2007, 17:05
No don't worry. If you had a previous Internet service with ntl, it may be your broadband was provisioned on a new account, and not upgraded on your previous account. So, you may be using the correct username and password for your old dialup account, but this is not the one for your cable modem account.

That could be the reason.

Markly Darkly
17-02-2007, 17:07
Thanks - yes I used to be on dial up with that user name and password, but when I got broadband about two years ago, I did do an upgrade when I registered. Also, this did used to work, just stopped working recently

Paul K
17-02-2007, 17:07
Is your user name the one on the bill/ first one to be used to set up the account? If not it won't work.

Markly Darkly
17-02-2007, 17:48
Yes - this has always been my username

Paul K
17-02-2007, 17:52
Seen it happen before, call NTL as it could just be where they amalgamated all the billing etc into one database.

Toto
17-02-2007, 22:58
Ditto what Paul said.