PDA

View Full Version : new Virgin Modem

noobie1702
16-02-2007, 09:39
hello all first post :)

My parents have signed up for Virgin broadband and will be installed next week.
Will they get a "250" modem that I have seen mentioned here or the new 255 modem that I have seen a picture of on another forum??
I assume it will be the 255 modem because its Virgin branded. Is there anything I need to do in advance apart from making sure their PC has ethernet?
Thanks for any help.

Stephen
16-02-2007, 09:43
Hi :welcome:

It really depends on what the tech has with him. I got my modem replaced on wednesday and was given an NTL 250 modem. It had no NTL branding all it said on the top was 'Cable Modem'. It ws a darker colour than the 250 modems usually look though.

If they have plenty of older modems left then they will probably get used first.

also the 250 modems still have USB but its best to use the ethernet if you have it.

Slyder
16-02-2007, 09:46
The new 255 modem as far as I know are not being rolled out yet and is exactly the same as the 250 minus the usb connectivity and in black with the Virgin logo on.

As you said, just make sure the pc has ethernet and your good to go. ;)

I would hazard a guess you will get a 250, *however - it is worth noting that older modems can be still be in the engineers van.

EssDee
16-02-2007, 21:19
I remember a few years ago ntl absolutely frowned upon and infact positively discouraged use of the ethernet port in favour of USB. There used to be a sticker over the Ethernet port 'recommending' trying the USB port instead! This was to minimise the number of support calls asking for help with network cards ('cause USB never goes wrong!!).

How things can change.....:D

Nikesh
16-02-2007, 21:37
I remember a few years ago ntl absolutely frowned upon and infact positively discouraged use of the ethernet port in favour of USB.

I remember that too! :D

Are Virgin Media still giving out any older modems than the 250?

hairy_mick
16-02-2007, 21:39
if you only have usb they now supply usb network adapter

Illuminist
16-02-2007, 22:12
USB over Ethernet? ...My god.