PDA

View Full Version : Neville Hits Out at Agents

Gareth
16-02-2007, 00:31
http://home.skysports.com/list.aspx?hlid=448520&CPID=8&clid=1&lid=4161&title=Neville+hits+out+at+agents

Manchester United captain Gary Neville has called for agents to be removed from the game.

The England international full-back feels money is being taken away from the game and has called on players to become more responsible for their own actions.

"There is a concern for me and there always has been. How a guy can go in and ask for your wage and expect to be given hundreds of thousands of pounds and sometimes millions in this day and age, I can't see it.

"That money is going out of the game. The clubs should keep that money. The players if they are due it should keep it and certainly not agents.
Those poor footballers - it makes you wonder how Gary Neville can afford to put petrol in his supercar to drive to work. I mean, it's not as if they're overpaid or anything like that. :rolleyes:

Good to see Gary's living in the real world. Anyone else, professional footballers excluded of course, think he's talking out of his backside?

nffc
16-02-2007, 00:37
I actually agree with him. Come on, it's not as if agents have done any good for the game, apart from inflating salaries and making life difficult for clubs.

And other professions manage perfectly well to negotiate terms of employment with companies without needing to pay someone an astronomical amount to do so.

Neville may be a bit boring, and might not be that good a player or a likeable guy, but he is one of the few players who seems to have a bit of common sense and intelligence (for a footballer) - dare I say probable manager material?

punky
16-02-2007, 00:42
I do. The money going to agents (which is a small percentage of a player's earnings) wouldn't go to the club if the agents didn't exist. It would probably go to the player.

Furthermore, agents get paid by raising the profile of a player (say, by adverts). This draws more money into the club as a popular player will increase cash-flow and popularity into a club. So quite the opposite is true.

I suspect Neville's having some agent problems and venting. I wonder what his agent is on?

Be all and end all is that in this day and age, celebrities, not least Premiership footballers just can't get by without agents managing them. Not just brokering deals, but dealing with the press, etc.

kronas
16-02-2007, 00:48
while there is money in the game it will continue, thats the nature of capitalism, however the way agents work is a very seedy business, for alot of agents it doesent really matter if their client gets £100,000 instead of £150,000 per week, its more about what the agent can get when it comes to the player resigning a new deal at an existing club, whether the transfer to a new club is 'rewarding' enough, its a sad fact of life, but i doubt that there are many players in the proffessional premier leagues around the world who play for fun, pride and passion as you should.... in my opnion!

gazzae
16-02-2007, 10:25
I suspect Neville's having some agent problems and venting. I wonder what his agent is on?

I dont believe he has one, I think he is represented by the PFA.

As for agents, you've got to ask why, for example they need to be paid £2 Mill of a £5 Mill pound transfer to ensure it goes through. Money that would have gone to the selling club.

sherer
16-02-2007, 11:12
does anyone know if an actor has an agent.. does the actor play them out of their money of does the studio pay the agent on behalf of the actor ?

i think Neville has a point when the club pay an agent he keeps the money and then it is gone in his pocket.. without this payment sure some would go to the player but also some would lead to lower ticket prices and better facilities

agents are just leeches who don't care about the player just how much they can make

take the Rooney deal to Man U.. we phoned Everton and said we'll pay xx for him.. then we gave Rooney a contract and he signed it.. the agent made somewhere between 2-5m out of that and didn't even do any work

if a player is already at a club and gets a new contract the agent gets a fee.. surely some of this should be paid by the player ?

if clubs only stick to the rules and only talk to players through a club when they are allowed then there is very little need for agents except to sort out player sponsor deals etc which should all be paid for by the player anyway

Shadow Demon UK
16-02-2007, 15:46
I do. The money going to agents (which is a small percentage of a player's earnings) wouldn't go to the club if the agents didn't exist. It would probably go to the player.

Agent's do actually get a lot of money from transfer deals and it adds up as most are agents for many different players. I don't see the point of them, surely the player can negotiate their own contract and they just add to the controversy in the game and i think in most cases it's them who make players push for higher wages which is ruining the game.

Maybe he was talking about this? - http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/m/man_utd/6369021.stm

I doubt it, seeing that his agent is his dad whoes called Neville Neville.

---------- Post added at 15:46 ---------- Previous post was at 15:43 ----------

Maybe he was talking about this? -

Manchester United have banned an agent from their training complex for 'tapping up' young academy prospects.

Link (http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/m/man_utd/6369021.stm)

AndyIggs83
16-02-2007, 23:00
I dont believe he has one, I think he is represented by the PFA.

As for agents, you've got to ask why, for example they need to be paid £2 Mill of a £5 Mill pound transfer to ensure it goes through. Money that would have gone to the selling club.

Nevilles dad, "Neville" is his agent

TheDaddy
16-02-2007, 23:13
Good to see Gary's living in the real world. Anyone else, professional footballers excluded of course, think he's talking out of his backside?

More like David Beckhams backside, when ever I hear is whinny little voice, I lose the will to live, what little respect I had for him went when he called for the England players to go on strike over Rio's ban, he should have been told then in no uncertain terms what a privilege it is to represent your country and if he wants to undermine it by being some sort of barrack room lawyer he'll never play for England again and who the hell did he think he was the other day asking fan's not to boo the team, sorry near the end of the most dire match since, well the last dire match booing is the least they should expect, what he didn't seem to understand was it wasn't so much losing it was the complete lack of effort and ineptitude