PDA

View Full Version : Telewest re-jig of splitters

MattYM
15-02-2007, 14:06
Hi,

When Telewest installed my cable modem and TV STB they connected a 3.7Db splitter to the cable from outside, then from the splitter there are two blue labled looking FM/TV splitters of which FM is capped and the other connects to the TV and CM.

So it looks like -

Outside Cable ----- > 3.7Db Splitter ------> Blue TV/FM splitter ----> CM then (Second 3.7DB Splitter connection) > Blue TV/FM splitter ------- > STB

To save on space and tripping over cables can I not just use one of the blue TV/FM splitters and connect that to the cable coming from outside then connect the 3.7Db splitter to the TV connection of that then connect the CM and STB to the 3.7Db splitter?

So that it would end up being like this -

Outside Cable ----- > Blue TV/FM splitter ------ > 3.7db Splitter -----> CM (second 3.7Db splitter connection) to > STB

My only concern was the mutterings of a fused splitter should be used from the cable coming from outside? Maybe those Blue TV/FM splitters are fused in which case it wont matter?

Thoughts suggestions :)

Cheers

Matt

Chris W
15-02-2007, 16:10
:welcome:

As far as i know none of the splitters is fused, so i can't see the issue in rearranging as you have suggested... I would wait for confirmation from someone a bit more network techy before you do anything though just in case :)

MattYM
15-02-2007, 18:15
Hi,

Thanks for the reply. :)

Hmm in that case I could prob get away with maybe just using the 3.7Db splitter from the outside cable to it then just connect the CM and STB to it? :)

My parents have an STB downstairs and I took the cover off the wedge box on the wall and there is a chunky looking device in there with an F connector at the bottom which feeds the STB, looking at the diagram on it I would say its fused, then again im no expert :)

Cheers

Matt

Chris W
15-02-2007, 18:22
If you have two 3.7db splitters at the moment, then you need to leave two 3.7db splitters there.

MattYM
15-02-2007, 18:47
Hi,

The parents STB is fed of a different outside coax to the box on the wall outside.

Cheers

Matt