PDA

View Full Version : samsung STB and 10mb

WOOZYUK
14-02-2007, 15:22
hello. i am sorry if this has been mentioned many times before but i am very lazy and dont really want to search the haystack.

i have been paying for 10mb connection since it started approx a year a go i beleive but of course have not been able to get 10mb on my samsung stb.

here is a screenshot of a test i did today=

http://img128.imageshack.us/img128/5525/speedtestwc7.jpg

what have others done that have been paying for 10meg over the last year but never received it

Edite: im in the DA8 area code

also sorry for the huge image. its a quick thread post at work :S

Mr Clean
14-02-2007, 15:48
I was naughty and told NTL that my Cable TV would freeze when using the internet and got changed to a SACM the next day.

It wasn't exactly a lie though as the TV did used to freeze a hell of a lot and stuttered on some channels which was annoying. Doesn't do that much anymore.

Just ring CS and enquire about having a SACM fitted.

WOOZYUK
14-02-2007, 16:27
yeah the stb is always freezing or stuttering on channels

:erm:

MovedGoalPosts
14-02-2007, 17:15
There is no way broadband via the Samsung STB is going to acheive 10meg speeds. I think it maxes out at 5-6meg.

You either need to upgrade your installation to a separate cable modem, which could incur an installation fee, or the alternative is to downgrade to 4meg

WOOZYUK
14-02-2007, 17:34
ok thanks for info

even if it maxes at around 6 meg i do find it odd that i only get around 2meg

caveman
14-02-2007, 18:02
If that is true. If I upgrade to the VIP package and put the V+ in bedroom leaving my Samsung STB in the lounge where my PC / BB connection is. Would that mean that I wouldn't be able to get the 10 Meg?

savvychels
14-02-2007, 18:16
If that is true. If I upgrade to the VIP package and put the V+ in bedroom leaving my Samsung STB in the lounge where my PC / BB connection is. Would that mean that I wouldn't be able to get the 10 Meg?

They would install a SACM

caveman
14-02-2007, 20:08
Out of curiosity, does the V+ STB have the capability to delivery the full 10 Meg?

---------- Post added at 20:07 ---------- Previous post was at 18:23 ----------

---------- Post added at 20:08 ---------- Previous post was at 20:07 ----------

ShadowTD
15-02-2007, 15:50
We don't know ;)

Some have surmised that the faster processor in the V+ box could in theory lead to it being able to handle 10Mb. But as VM won't even install STB BB with V+, we'll never know.

lolly1963
15-02-2007, 16:00
Hi,
I have TV drive stb with BB connected to it, but apparently can only deliver 1meg. Am waiting for Virgin to arrive today to install seperate cable modem between1 and 6pm....not here yet.....

WOOZYUK
16-02-2007, 13:31
called ntl tech support again last night who then didnt realise the samsung stb cannot go above 5mb so i called cust services to tell them. more success instead of the dopes at tech support who just read a script

customer services looked up my information and found out that for 14 months i have been paying for 10mb but i have only been allocated 2mb all this time. so they have refunded me the excess amount back onto the tv package account and downgraded me to 2mb while they arrange for a 10mb and proper cable modem to be installed instead of using the crappy samsung stb's and then will re-set up my account for 10mb on a seperate billing account.

complicated or what

bunch of ignorant twits work there imho. branson needs a divine miracle to sort NTLs mess out

Carl J
16-02-2007, 15:35
We don't know ;)

Some have surmised that the faster processor in the V+ box could in theory lead to it being able to handle 10Mb. But as VM won't even install STB BB with V+, we'll never know.

Then they surmise wrong, it's not either of the processors in the Samsung that's the issue. ;)

WOOZYUK
16-02-2007, 16:53
customer services said internet will ALWAYS be slower than 5mb due to the television bandwidth on the set top boxes.

so if anyone has a stb for BB demand a seperate cable modem as your getting ripped off!

dev
16-02-2007, 17:14
customer services said internet will ALWAYS be slower than 5mb due to the television bandwidth on the set top boxes.

so if anyone has a stb for BB demand a seperate cable modem as your getting ripped off!

my 4mb bb is perfectly fine through a stb, also how can you call someone ignorant for only giving you 2mb for 14months yet charging 10mb when surely you would have noticed not getting 10mb for over a year? i'd be happy they've refunded you for something you should have noticed a long time ago

savvychels
16-02-2007, 20:05
my 4mb bb is perfectly fine through a stb, also how can you call someone ignorant for only giving you 2mb for 14months yet charging 10mb when surely you would have noticed not getting 10mb for over a year? i'd be happy they've refunded you for something you should have noticed a long time ago

Absolutely! I pretty much always got the majority of my 4MB whenever I tested mine which came through the STB. When I upgraded yesterday with new SACM I kept testing till it came through right. Good thing I did - they had changed it in one part of the system, but not in the other part that needed the info in order to send the info to the modem - so after chasing up a few times finally got it right. If I hadn't noticed it that would have been as much my fault as theirs.

YOU didn't notice, and once you did, and brought it to their attention they have refunded you the money and are setting you right - how does that make THEM the twits?

Carl J
16-02-2007, 22:26

Also rubbish, the two don't share bandwidth apart from coming down the same wire :)

If the Samsung did its' job properly 10Mbit would be no problem.

AndyCambs
17-02-2007, 15:04
Interestingly enough, the broadband through STB was only available in former C&W franchise areas. As part of the integration of the systems, broadband through STB is no longer offered, and when I called to add the V+ STB to my account, I was automatically offered a SACM. The STB are only capable of a maximum speed, whilst the SACM provide higher speed capabilities and a better quality of service.

If you have broadband through STB, it might be worth calling CS and asking about SACM - it will probably be changed at no charge.

mega_monty
18-02-2007, 00:15
Interestingly enough, the broadband through STB was only available in former C&W franchise areas. As part of the integration of the systems, broadband through STB is no longer offered

They were also offered to Telewest customers around mid 2004 for their 256K broadband service in the form of a self install kit containing a Netgear ME102 wireless Access Point and Netgear MA101 Wireless USB Adaptor.

The WAP plugged into the PACE STB via a X over adaptor, however the WAP was limited in what you could do with it and the max speed after the service was eventually upgraded to 2Mbit is only 1Mbit via the Pace STB.