PDA

View Full Version : What cable do I need for Telewest installation?

BillBrum
14-02-2007, 12:32
Hello all

I am about to move into a flat that has previously had Telewest, but I want the services in different parts of the room and do not want cables tacked to skirting boards. As I am having some studs relayed on walls, I want to fit lengths of cable in advance of the actual installation, so that I cna have them buried where I want them. So... can anyone tell me where to buy what type of cable? If it is a Maplin type of thing, do I need to know technical detail like impedence, etc?

Thanks

AbyssUnderground
14-02-2007, 13:59
It would be best to get an engineer to do this as if you don't and something goes wrong, you will be at fault and liable for damages. Not doing the job right can affect not only your own service but other peoples services too.

BillBrum
14-02-2007, 22:45
Thank you, but I need to get the cables in before the engineer will be here. I don't think Virgin Media will send someone to run cables two to three weeks prior to the actual installation. All I'm wanting to do is to put the right type of cable into the walls and leave the ends loose for the install engineer to do his thing. So... can anyone say what type of cable I need?

Thanks

Windsufer
22-02-2007, 18:02
I can sympathise with your problem. I am refurbishing my house and had a similar problems.

Basically, Telewest sales people don't seem to want to know about this problem. They expect you to sign up and then their installers will come round and surface mount the cables. On the other hand, no-one else is allowed to make connections. It;s OK though if your building a block of flats!

Undeterred I put it to them that if I was building a luxury house/apartment with structured cabling what would they do, since surface-mounted cables would be unacceptable. I was advised that a "consultant" would phone me within 10 days. About 2 days later an obviouslty intelligent and agreeable woman phoned me and we discussed the problem. She arranged for the installation manager to call and advise. A young engineer (manager?) called, we discussed the installation in detail and he left me sufficient cable (no charge) to self-install - phone+internet at node 0, the distribution cluster for the structured cabling and another length for the TV in lounge.

Allowing 2 weeks lead time, when I'm ready to install the stuff, I'll order the services, then Telewest will make the connections, terminations.

This makes it an easier install for them if you lay the cables yourself (a negotiating point).

You could also suggest that putting in Sky including multiroom is much more straightforward - lots of installers who'll put the cable wherever you want or do it yourself.

Good luck

Cobbydaler
22-02-2007, 18:13
Welcome to the forums. Nice first post! :)

Angry
23-02-2007, 19:22
A young engineer (manager?) called, we discussed the installation in detail and he left me sufficient cable (no charge) to self-install - phone+internet at node 0, the distribution cluster for the structured cabling and another length for the TV in lounge.

Allowing 2 weeks lead time, when I'm ready to install the stuff, I'll order the services, then Telewest will make the connections, terminations.

This makes it an easier install for them if you lay the cables yourself (a negotiating point).

Good luck
In retrospect, I wish I'd had the foresight to do the same, as today I'm left with a foot of naked cable exposed in the street thanks to a pair of botches that this company has subcontracted. If I had done it, perhaps I wouldn't have fitted my Telewest box at an angle of 30 degrees either, with 2*10 wood screws.

Seriously, High School kids could do me a better installation that what I just got.