PDA

View Full Version : Services Drop & A 169 IP Address Is Issued

willas00
12-02-2007, 23:22
Over the period of this evening my intetnet connection has dropped twice but it has been doing this over the past few days. All connections are lost and i get assigned with a 169 IP Address. Telewest told me it was my firewall, but when i shut it down the ip address is still not 169 and is not resolved. I have to reset the PC 2 times before my normal 86 IP Address is resumed to get a connection. Ive made a post of the forum for my firewall and they cant see no problem with the firewall its self. Telewest told me it would be best to use there firewall but it blocks out certian progams so i WONT use it. I am using Comodo Firewall & AVG Anti-Virus.

Is there any way i can resolve the problem.

Thanks

Quam256
13-02-2007, 08:06
Have you checked the connections from the modem to the Pc.
Can you ping the modem when you have a 169 IP.

willas00
13-02-2007, 22:25
yes all connections seem fine. i spoke to Virgin Media and they said to its a PC Problem because the IP is renewing every hr but not working. I there fore did a release whilst connected to the net and did a renew and got nothing so reset the PC 2 times and got an ip back. I Pinged the modem and no responce. can any one suggest wot it could be because connections are fine untill it trys to renew

Tech_Boy
13-02-2007, 23:15
are you ex TW or NTL?
a 169.ip is assigned by the dhcp when it cannot see an external ip.
Are you just rebooting the pc?
or are you rebooting the modem too?

willas00
13-02-2007, 23:23
im still on telewest now virgin media (h8 them) reboot both pc 2 times and modem to get back to normal. as from my post above they reckon its a PC Problem but it dont seem right and this has happened since virgin taken over i hate them so much :@

Tech_Boy
13-02-2007, 23:31
Ok, if you are rebooting the modem aswell, then this could well be a modem issue.
If the connection came back after just rebooting the pc it would be unlikely to be a modem problem.

I doubt that this is caused by the switch to Virgin Media.

willas00
13-02-2007, 23:34
seems very odd how this only started happening since Thrusday, its never happened to me before appart from when my firewall buggered up but its not that this time.

if its a pc problem what could it be. i cant think what could be the problem

DABhand
13-02-2007, 23:38
I wouldnt worry about it to be honest, according to techies if your problem doesnt fall into their "Diagnosing for Chimps" system then your machine is the problem.

I remember once had a customer who told me that Telewest told her that the problem she had bad connections was her sound card. Go figure.

willas00
13-02-2007, 23:45
ive been with telewest since september now and they said this to me last time i was getting problems, said it was the pc and i know 100% FACT its was NOT the pc.

The people at Virgin Media (Telewest) need to learn a bit more about PCs and Internet connections and stop blamming peoples PCs when i know for a fact its not allways the PC and sometimes its the modem but they wont take the blame till they have to :Yikes:

---------- Post added at 23:45 ---------- Previous post was at 23:43 ----------

I wouldnt worry about it to be honest,

i want it sorted because its annoying having to reboot modem and pc every so often

Tech_Boy
13-02-2007, 23:49
speaking as a tech for the ex Ntl part of Virgin Media, we don't have scripts & our diagnostic tools would show up a problem with the modem if the connection was dropping all the time.

I don't know what tools the ex TW tech's have, but I'm sure that they would use due dilligence in diagnosing the problem.

willas00
13-02-2007, 23:53
i was on the phone to them and they said there nothing they can do appart from ask me to take the cable out the back and try to renew & release the IP Address. on doing this it stops and does nothing. so i rebooted the PC back up and got my IP Back did a release and reset PC 2 times then my IP Says its not due to expier till 2morrow night at 10.15, It confusses me on why they need to expier when they DONT change (or not for me) any way. Someone i know whos on BT his does not expier till 2038

Tezcatlipoca
13-02-2007, 23:57
Stuff on 169 IPs.......

http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/12/18084-169-ip-check.html

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;314067

Tech_Boy
14-02-2007, 00:03
As far as I know adsl uses static ip's, when I installed my Dad's Demon BB, the info pack had his ip on it.

The dynamic ip's on the cable network have a short lease time so that if the modem is offline when the lease runs out, a different modem can use it.

In practice the ip usually remains the same, before my modem was replaced, I had the same ip for as long as I could remember.

I'm off to bed now, I hope that you get this sorted.

willas00
14-02-2007, 12:45
my ip address is due to renew again 2night at 2211 im waiting till then to see if it goes down. If it does telewest (virgin media) say its a PC Problem so uninstall the Drivers for the modem then reinstall them and see what happens next time it goes to renew. if it still happens then its a TCP/IP corrucption and im buggered because i dont know any thing about this

Quam256
14-02-2007, 14:40
my ip address is due to renew again 2night at 2211 im waiting till then to see if it goes down. If it does telewest (virgin media) say its a PC Problem so uninstall the Drivers for the modem then reinstall them and see what happens next time it goes to renew. if it still happens then its a TCP/IP corrucption and im buggered because i dont know any thing about this

What is telling you that the IP address is going to renew at that time.
If it is saying reinstall the drivers for the modem what type of connection do you have Ethernet or USB.
Do you have a router .

willas00
14-02-2007, 14:59
im on USB, No Router. TW told me to uninstall the drivers if it goes down again and reinstall them as these are either currucpt or the TCP/IP Config is currucpt

willas00
14-02-2007, 22:31
Get loads of people asking me this so i thought i would post it here.

When you get a 169 ip, the easiest way to check if its the CM or the PC causing the fault is :

(on the Ambit modem & Motorolla SurfBoard only)

Power down the modem.

Power down your PC.

Disconnect the Coax cable from the back of the modem. Make sure its moved away from the modem so you dont short it out on the unit itself.

Power up modem

Power up PC

Check IP adress again.

If its : 169.xxx.xxx.xxx = PC issue. Could be USB / NIC drivers, or TCP/IP corruption

If its : 192.xxx.xxx.xxx = Modem issue. DHCP server not leasing an IP adress out to the modem to pass to the PC. The 192 IP your now getting is the internal Ambit / Motorolla IP adress that its DHCP server gives you. If you get the 192 IP adress, often shutting off the PC, shutting down the modem, reconnecting the coax and rebooting all the equipment often fixes it. If it goes back to 169.xxx.xxx.xxx time to call NTL!

Cheers

Kev

- edit

I never tried this with the following modems :

CMX Santa-Clara
CMX Tailfin

If anyone has tried it, let me know if it works or not!

I have a funny feeling it dosent tho

Quote From 169 IP Issues.

I have powered my PC down and modem booted up as stated to above and stil got a 169 IP

This to me means a IP/TCP Problem

what can i do to sort this?