PDA

View Full Version : Problem after swapping from ntl STB to Modem

Malc Newton
08-02-2007, 20:36
Hi. I’ve had NTL broadband for years through my STB. So I can be ready for the new V+ box, they suggest I change to a cable modem rather than through the STB.

The modem has been connected to the cable but they did not move the Ethernet cable over. So I moved the Ethernet cable from the STB to the modem and removed the crossover.

I can connect to the modem and get to the autoreg.autoregister.net/start.html screens. If I go through the reinstall option rather than register it picks up my account info etc and states that my broadband is connected. I get an IP address in the 80.4.71.xxx range and the default gateway is 80.4.71.1 as you’d expect but any attempt at internet access fails.

I’m worried about trying for a PIN from ntl in case it creates me a new account and I loose my email accounts.

Any advice please?

Tech_Boy
08-02-2007, 23:14
You will have to register your modem, which will set up a new account & new email address.

Once you have done this, you will just have to call tech support, who will be able to migrate your email addresses to your new account, so you will not loose them.

We cannot do this before you register, as the new account is not active untill you have registered.

AndyCambs
09-02-2007, 04:20
I'm in the same position, and will be moved from broadband through the STB to a SACM when the V+ box is fitted. This probably sounds a really silly question, but does the SACM require a separate power supply? I'm just deciding where to have it installed. I'm tempted to leave it adjacent to the current STB if it's not too obtrusive.

In answer to the first question on here, I was told that the engineer would install the modem and ensure it was set up. I would have assumed that this included re-connecting it to the computer.

jellybaby
09-02-2007, 07:15
Yes, it needs its own power supply.
When they came and swapped mine, he just split the STB feed and plugged it all in.....wouldn't have anything to do with the connection to the computer.

AndyCambs
09-02-2007, 08:59
Yes, it needs its own power supply.
When they came and swapped mine, he just split the STB feed and plugged it all in.....wouldn't have anything to do with the connection to the computer.

Did you have any problems in reconnecting - like needing to re-register or anything?

jellybaby
09-02-2007, 09:09
Sort of...re-registered with a new username etc, but everything stayed the same, so I was quite lucky :)

Malc Newton
10-02-2007, 13:55
I've now swapped from STB to modem and all seems OK. Speed is up from 1Mb to 2Mb.

I had to re-register but the option to keep existing accounts returned an error. I contacted the tech support folks and they have transfered all the email addresses I used to have.

All seems good - so far.

Also ordered my V+ box :)

Malc

Soundlab
11-02-2007, 19:26
Once you have done this, you will just have to call tech support, who will be able to migrate your email addresses to your new account, so you will not loose them.

Why does this have to be done ? Are you saying my old STB details are going to be terminated at some point unless I migrate them ?

If so, I best get on to tech. supp. tomorrow !

Daz

AndyCambs
11-02-2007, 20:15
I vaguely remember having to re-register when I had a new router on the STB. I couldn't use the existing login, but chose a new one, and then simply pointed Outlook to the old email address. There was no need to call Tech Support, and that's the bit that surprises me as to why it has to be done?