PDA

View Full Version : Install Question

jamiehorrocksuk
06-02-2007, 15:51
Got the ntl: instal man here now giving me the tv, phone and was going to have another box in the bedroom. Already have SACD. He has advised me not to have the box in the bedroom as he has to split the signal 3 ways and it will reduce the signal strenth too much. Is this right???

---------- Post added at 15:51 ---------- Previous post was at 15:49 ----------

P.S sorry i should have put this thread in the install section

punky
06-02-2007, 15:52
NP, I'll move it for you.

In all honesty, i'd go with whatever the installer says. He's been trained up on it (hopefully) and know about signals etc. However, I know people who have their signal split 3 or more ways without a problem.

You could just say split it anyway, and if you have problems take it up with faults. Whether they'll help you or not, as its apparently against an installer's wishes, I don't know.

MovedGoalPosts
06-02-2007, 15:54
the signal strength might be affected - depends on the quality of it in the first place. But it should be a standard option that is supported by ntl:telewest after all they are pomoting broadband, with second STB as well as the V+ (TV drive).

Ask him specifically why he is concerned.

Moved to installation ;)

Aragorn
06-02-2007, 15:55
I would be surprised! There are plenty of 'triple play' customers (me included) and they are pushing the second STB with the new V+ boxes, so everyone with V+, second room and BBand will have a three way split.
I'm not a cable techie, but I'm fairly sure they can boost the signal at the green box.

jamiehorrocksuk
06-02-2007, 15:56
He says it will loose 7 db which is too much.

Crooky
06-02-2007, 16:00
Tell him to move your cable up the taps in the cab to compensate and if there is too much signal at another point to use an attenuator.

We used to do this all the time.

I used to have three STB's and a CM all connected to one install cable from the cab and I don't have any problems.

jamiehorrocksuk
06-02-2007, 18:45
Right, he has now gone and all seemed fine with the subscription channels working. No V+ until friday as not lauched in my area yet. None of the subscription channels are working now or the on demand. HELP

---------- Post added at 18:45 ---------- Previous post was at 16:56 ----------

All Problems now solved, and on demand now work. Pretty good as well!!

B3rti
12-02-2007, 21:19
i currently V+ and 2 addition STB with 10 mb Broadband with no problems @ all, touch wood no problems to date installed since june.