PDA

View Full Version : Anyone been to Venice ?

Halcyon
05-02-2007, 21:00
Anyone at all been to Venice and reccomend a place to stay and what is best to do in 3 days ?
I'm looking at going for a short break and everything is so expensive !

Many thanks,

halcyon.

walfordking
06-02-2007, 10:00
Venice is cheaper than uk. it is also cheaper than paris. yes I've been to venice but not stayed there. have a go on the godlas (boats). Can't spell the name of the boats they use.

Halcyon
06-02-2007, 10:16
Thanks.
I'm just looking at the different areas at the moment and if it would be cheaper to stay on the islands or on the mainland....seems the mainland probably and then get a bus in or walk.

orangebird
06-02-2007, 10:20
Thanks.
I'm just looking at the different areas at the moment and if it would be cheaper to stay on the islands or on the mainland....seems the mainland probably and then get a bus in or walk.

It smells, and it's damn expensive. Go to prague or barcelona instead. A lot cheaper, and far more beautiful :tu:

lauzjp
06-02-2007, 12:02
check out tripadvisor.com they are very useful! :)

Hugh
06-02-2007, 12:54
The DK Top 10 book is quite useful - have a "browse" through it at Borders/Waterstones/etc.

When are you going? We went for the day a couple of years ago for our wedding anniversary (Feb 14th) and it was good fun, but v. cold (but not many tourists, so you could get in the tourist sites quite quickly, instead of queuing).

Some friends of ours went for a week last summer (they have been a few times), and they always stay on the mainland (or one of the smaller islands) and get water taxis to the main part.

Cilonen
06-02-2007, 13:27
My fiancee and I went a couple of years ago, stayed on the mainland a little way away as it was about a third of the price. Got the train each day for about £2 return (took about 15mins).

Can't remember the name of the town where we stayed, but will check with 'er indoors and get back to you:D . It had some really nice restaurants and cafe bars so we usually ate there late evening rather than pay a fortune for average food in Venice itself.

Vlad_Dracul
06-02-2007, 22:53
Anyone at all been to Venice and reccomend a place to stay and what is best to do in 3 days ?
I'm looking at going for a short break and everything is so expensive !

Many thanks,

halcyon.
I can recommend
http://en.venere.com/hotels_venice/san_marco/hotel_al_gazzettino.html

good hotel and excellent restaurant about half way between San Marco and Rialto.

Wicked_and_Crazy
06-02-2007, 22:57
It smells, and it's damn expensive. Go to prague or barcelona instead. A lot cheaper, and far more beautiful :tu:

Add Budapest to the list too

Halcyon
07-02-2007, 11:53
Thanks everyone. I will check those places out.
The mainland seems like a cheaper solution and getting a water taxi in to the main city.
I'll check out that hotel Dooper.

I'd be going towards the end of April so hopefully it would be nice weather.

lauzjp
07-02-2007, 11:55
I'd love to go on more little trips to places... especially as we can fly from luton! hint hint Anton ;)

Vlad_Dracul
07-02-2007, 21:44
Thanks everyone. I will check those places out.
The mainland seems like a cheaper solution and getting a water taxi in to the main city.
I'll check out that hotel Dooper.

I'd be going towards the end of April so hopefully it would be nice weather.
No no,if you go to Venice you really must stay in Venice. Its an experience,especially at night. Dont worry about cost. There are plenty of really nice B & B type places which are good quality. You just need to seek them out.

Mr Angry
07-02-2007, 21:51
Stayed in Venice twice. Both times in the Atlantic Hotel (about 3 mins from St Marks Square). Second time I also spent two days in Jail - but that's a completely different story.

Hugh
07-02-2007, 21:59
Jail - is that one of the smaller islands, only accessible by water taxi?

Mr Angry
08-02-2007, 12:45
Jail - is that one of the smaller islands, only accessible by water taxi?

lol.