PDA

View Full Version : Could you live without your computer?

Tinky
04-02-2007, 19:07
I don't think I could! I am a late developer IT wise, didn't know how to switch one on 2 years ago, and I spend far too much valuable time (on CF) and surfing etc., the household/other chores suffer as a result! But I would be lost without one, how about you?

PS: Did a search but could not find any results for this, somebody will surely tell me! ;)

Paul K
04-02-2007, 19:08
Add a vote ;) Been using and building PCs since 1994/1995, had Amigas and Commodores before then. Could live without a PC but would get very board ;)

Delta Whiskey
04-02-2007, 19:09
I bought a laptop this afternoon, so that takes me up to three computers all told. So I guess the answer is no. :D

DW

MadGamer
04-02-2007, 19:10
Could live without a PC but would get very board ;) So could i, but if you PC developes a fault, and has to be sent off for repair, you dont realise how much you use it untill its not there.

Russ
04-02-2007, 19:12
*breaks out in a cold sweat at reading the thread title :disturbd:

SnoopZ
04-02-2007, 19:14
I'd endup watching alot more TV if i didn't have CF and internet. :)

Paul K
04-02-2007, 19:15
I bought a laptop this afternoon, so that takes me up to three computers all told. So I guess the answer is no. :D

DW

2 desktops, laptop and PDA all running via a wired/ wireless network plus additional PCs on the network when I'm repairing them for others. I can do without them for a little while now and then though ;)

ramidowler
04-02-2007, 19:16
I could definitely live without it but it would be hard to adjust.... great thing about humans is that we are by far the most adaptive creatures thanks to our brain

Maggy
04-02-2007, 19:29
No I don't think so...I'd wait until I could afford a new one but I'd get another. ;)

homealone
04-02-2007, 19:35
at the moment I use my computer for

Internet - forums, news, newsgroups, email, messing about with my web sites, etc.

Watching/listening to various media - CD, DVD, VHS & Cable TV

Downloading pictures from digital camera & saving to DVD

Reading books

The occasional game

.... I know I would miss it terribly ;)

Druchii
04-02-2007, 19:39
I use mine for browsing, encoding, downloading, hosting, playing games, number crunching for Cancer Research, playing music, watching films and keeping in touch with people.

I'd miss it terribly, hence the reason i treat it with respect :)

jrhnewark
04-02-2007, 19:43
Nope. I love my machines. :)

Bex
04-02-2007, 19:52
i don't think i could live without my pc! i hate it when the connection drops and i am unable to go online for an hour/a evening!
i do shopping online, manage my bank accounts, keep in touch with friends etc etc. thankfully i have a lappy and a pc so if one breaks i have another to fall back on

Halcyon
04-02-2007, 19:57
I couldn't give up my computer. It is what keeps me connected with family and friends and I need to atleast log in to the forum a few times a day too.
I also use my computer as a sequencer with my music equipment so need it for recording and playing in music.

I could give up my mobile phone, but not my computer.

Tinky
04-02-2007, 20:09
I do a lot of emailing, to cousins in Australia and Scotland, must save a fortune in postage!

MovedGoalPosts
04-02-2007, 20:15
I wonder if there are any regular users of CF who would even consider going cold turkey from their computers for even a month. Just going on holiday for a week brings out the shivers :(

Poll added ;)

peanut
04-02-2007, 20:35
Having just got back from a weeks holiday, no comps etc, I suppose I didn't miss them one bit, but I knew the 1st thing I'll do when I got back was to switch the comp on and I was right.

I think we rely on them more than ever now, like mobile phones store all our phone numbers now so we don't need to remember them like we did and could before (can you call a friend up without using your mobile phone). Our lives are much easier with comps and after all this time it wouldn't make sense to go back to pen/paper etc and to make our lives harder.

So by saying that, without them, I say we'd cope but we won't like it and I think we'd break quickly enough to find a way back to comps.

ikthius
04-02-2007, 20:58
when I went round the world a few years back, I was so glad of internet cafes to tap away at their keys, to keep in touch with people.... even in the cook islands :D

but I could not live without mine, mainly cause I like computers and I try to do small programs when I can, thats what I like best, that and making websites......basic ones mind

ik

dilli-theclaw
04-02-2007, 20:59
I sure could.

Nikesh
04-02-2007, 21:07
No way! :disturbd:

Ramrod
04-02-2007, 21:16
2 desktops, laptop and PDA all running via a wired/ wireless network plus additional PCs on the network when I'm repairing them for others. I can do without them for a little while now and then though ;)2 laptops a pda and a desktop, wireless network and I think I could live without them......I mean-I can cope when I'm on holiday :disturbd: :D

---------- Post added at 20:16 ---------- Previous post was at 20:14 ----------

Poll added ;)
Shame it's anonymous! :D

Matthew
04-02-2007, 22:08
I could only do without for a few days, its how I keep in touch with my mates.

sir_drinks_alot
04-02-2007, 22:10
indeed i could there's more to life than my pc

albert_the_dog
04-02-2007, 23:08
I could glady give up my computers , but I could not put up with 'i'm bored' complaints from the pups (and t'missus).

AtD

lostandconfused
05-02-2007, 12:10
i think i could but it would turn out more expensive, i use my laptop for watching tv, listening to the radio, listening all my music, and talking to freinds/ family.

without pc my phone bill would skyrocket and i would have to buy a new tv, or move myself to a different room and wrestle for a tv!

i think with the availability of a pc pretty much everywhere in cafe's, librarys and work almost everyone could live without one, but it would be a lot of hassle

zing_deleted
05-02-2007, 12:12
Just had to live since Thursday without the net that wasnt easy

liamboyle06
05-02-2007, 12:17
well having been without it fore months now, and only getting back online works out fine for me.

Damien
05-02-2007, 12:22
Never, makes me ill thinking about it. Its more the internet since i read, download tv/music, talk, email, and such using it

MikeyB
05-02-2007, 13:26
I would miss my computer, but I could live without it, not sure my wife could tho!!!
It would be a bit of an inconvenience to start with, would miss Internet shopping more than anything I would say, don't like doing "real" shopping!!!

I don't use it as much as I used to. I probably use it every other day now on average.
I checked my email last night for the 1st time in 6 days. Just doesn't bother me as much as it used to.

I don't miss it when I go on holiday, and don't check my emails or logon as soon as I get home, my wife did when we went away in December, I didn't for a couple of days.
There were Internet terminals in our hotel, didn't go near them at all!

Graham M
05-02-2007, 13:32
Add a vote ;) Been using and building PCs since 1994/1995, had Amigas and Commodores before then. Could live without a PC but would get very board ;)

Exactly the same here, had C64, Amiga 500, then got first PC in 97 so yeah I could probably go without one for a few days but probably get incredibly bored. :)

Wicked_and_Crazy
05-02-2007, 14:35

But it might help your spelling ;)

---------- Post added at 13:35 ---------- Previous post was at 13:29 ----------

id guess i spend 60% of my waking hours using a PC of some sort so i know it would be different but its easy to do. If i can spend a month on holiday and not use a PC at all then it cant be difficult to prolong it.

Tech_Boy
05-02-2007, 14:49
started with a BBC B, then a C64, Amiga, now running 2 desktops, 2 Laptops (with another one on the way) and a pda.:D

ian@huth
05-02-2007, 16:19
I can go away for two or three weeks on holiday and I don't miss my computer at all. Don't feel the need to use internet cafes or hotel internet connections.

Suffering from disabilities which make getting around rather difficult I do not know how I would manage without my computer. So much easily searched information available in your own home and anything under the sun that you want to buy only a few clicks away. Writing long letters can be difficult by hand but typing them out on the computer is so much easier especially as you can use spell checkers and go back and correct mistakes.

walfordking
05-02-2007, 18:21
it depends really. computers are everywhere. traffic would come to a stop. we would have no tv, cable, freeview and eletricity. nothing is yours cause you can't take it with you when you die.

Tinky
05-02-2007, 19:45
it depends really. computers are everywhere. traffic would come to a stop. we would have no tv, cable, freeview and eletricity. nothing is yours cause you can't take it with you when you die.

Agreed walfordking, everything we have or hold dear, is only lent to us for the duration of our lifetimes, we don't 'own' the things we love most, but then that is another subject!

brundles
05-02-2007, 22:02
Could we live without our computers?

Well put it this way, when our internet connection was dead for 5 days the better half described it as "having had a limb cut off". A month later when her laptop was away for repairs she hijacked mine until hers returned!