PDA

View Full Version : Is phone optional?

MichelleUK
26-01-2007, 16:33
Hi,

We have had an NTL phone line for years but never really used it. We only had it because when we signed up there was no choice and it was "bundled" with the TV prices.

We had trouble with the BT phone the other day and I tried to use the NTL line instead but it seems to not be working.

I am not sure I can face the struggle to get it repaired and wondered if it is possible not to have the line at all anymore (The recent bill showed the £11 phone fee separate from the TV for the first time this month so I wondered if we can now get rid of the line as it no longer linked with the TV).

I could ring Customer Services but not sure I could face that either today (apologies, I am feeling a bit pathetic today and the hanging on in the queue could finish me off!)

Thanks for any help,

Michelle :)

Justy
26-01-2007, 16:51
Hi,

We have had an NTL phone line for years but never really used it. We only had it because when we signed up there was no choice and it was "bundled" with the TV prices.

We had trouble with the BT phone the other day and I tried to use the NTL line instead but it seems to not be working.

I am not sure I can face the struggle to get it repaired and wondered if it is possible not to have the line at all anymore (The recent bill showed the £11 phone fee separate from the TV for the first time this month so I wondered if we can now get rid of the line as it no longer linked with the TV).

I could ring Customer Services but not sure I could face that either today (apologies, I am feeling a bit pathetic today and the hanging on in the queue could finish me off!)

Thanks for any help,

Phoneline is not optional with tele - the only service that you can have without a phonel line is broadband.

Ps... keep smilin - it's the weekend!

Mick Fisher
26-01-2007, 17:05
I am in the same boat as you. IE. being ripped off for a phone line that doesn't work.

As far as I know it is still an "obligatry condition" of receiving there "clunky" DTV service. :Yikes:

I think the reason is that the company is so mismanaged that they can't make any money from their TV service and so "force" us to subsidise it to the tune of an extra £11.00/month.

Maybe you could strike a deal with retentions/customer relations, trouble is they are so snowed under with people cancelling that usually you can't even get in the queue to speak to them. :)

Shaun
26-01-2007, 17:44
IT is optional now - give CS a ring and they'll remove it for you - there may be a problem if the person you speak to doesn't know about it but it it is definitely optional now :)

Justy
26-01-2007, 17:50
IT is optional now - give CS a ring and they'll remove it for you - there may be a problem if the person you speak to doesn't know about it but it it is definitely optional now :)

You sure mate... since when?

Akia
26-01-2007, 17:57
You can have TV: Size XL without a TELCO line but any of the other packages you still need to have the line

The Solus TV is priced at: £25 per month

Shaun
26-01-2007, 18:02
You sure mate... since when?

It's been posted on here several times over the past couple of months.

XFS03
27-01-2007, 02:02
You can have TV: Size XL without a TELCO line but any of the other packages you still need to have the line

The Solus TV is priced at: £25 per month
You can also have the TV size L without the phone for £14.50.

These TV-only packages are available from 1st February.

http://www.whycable.co.uk/pricechanges/pdf/DTV_Price_List.pdf

MichelleUK
29-01-2007, 17:05
Thanks for your help everyone! :)

Michelle

Rone
29-01-2007, 17:42
I was told i had to have it, then when i cancelled today, they told me i did'nt have to have it, its just a lack of communication in the communications company. ;)

Nikesh
29-01-2007, 18:00
I was told i had to have it, then when i cancelled today, they told me i did'nt have to have it, its just a lack of communication in the communications company. ;)

LOL :D

Yep, for anyone else unsure, having a phone line with digital tv is optional now as long as you have the XL package on your TV.

bubs999
29-01-2007, 21:57

It is optional, as in you don't have to have the line, but you will still be charged the £11 for it, so you may aswell keep the phone. At least you can then phone CS for free using 150.
I spoke to CS today to sort out my billing and asked about the phone line, thats the reply I received.

AndyCambs
29-01-2007, 22:15
It is optional, as in you don't have to have the line, but you will still be charged the £11 for it, so you may aswell keep the phone. At least you can then phone CS for free using 150.
I spoke to CS today to sort out my billing and asked about the phone line, thats the reply I received.

I think that's not correct. Check http://www.whycable.co.uk/pricechanges/pdf/DTV_Price_List.pdf. It states clearly that you can have TV Packages L + XL only without the phone line. Admittedly you save only £6.50 - but that's a saving.

It also states
***Not available on NTL until 01st February

So you may like to call back after Thursday.

thechangingman
29-01-2007, 22:25
I rang today to ask to have phone line service ceased from 1st Feb and CS chap didn't know anything about it. He very helpfully took my mobile number and promised me a call back today ....... he must be working late... no call yet......

XFS03
30-01-2007, 01:13
...Yep, for anyone else unsure, having a phone line with digital tv is optional now as long as you have the XL package on your TV.
It is optional, as in you don't have to have the line, but you will still be charged the £11 for it...
Sometimes I think my posts are invisible. :mis:

Thanks AndyCambs for reposting the link.

Rone
30-01-2007, 08:11
"At least you can then phone CS for free using 150"

Mine only ever got used for that, on lots of occasions. :(

Shaun
30-01-2007, 10:19

That's not true.

bubs999
30-01-2007, 11:52
That's not true.

Really....well someone should tell the Customer Service people then.

---------- Post added at 11:52 ---------- Previous post was at 11:51 ----------

Sometimes I think my posts are invisible. :mis:

Thanks AndyCambs for reposting the link.

I looked at that link and the small print said Feb 2007, which maybe why CS are still telling people you have to have the £11 phone line charge.

ogganova
30-01-2007, 12:14
I signed up with NTL in October last year (06) and back then you could get 2 for £20 NO PHONE. I took broadband + TV and paid an upgrade charge to move upto 4mb. £26ish a month for that. NO £11 charge for phone.

Og

Shaun
30-01-2007, 13:39
Really....well someone should tell the Customer Service people then.

You're telling me :rolleyes:

Mick Fisher
30-01-2007, 20:05
I signed up with NTL in October last year (06) and back then you could get 2 for £20 NO PHONE. I took broadband + TV and paid an upgrade charge to move upto 4mb. £26ish a month for that. NO £11 charge for phone.

Og

Ah yes but you were a new customer.

It's quite well known the Ntl don't give a toss about there existing customer base.

Still waiting to hear from an existing customer who has had the full £11.00 charge for a mythical phone removed. Why is only £6.50 being removed.

Strangely, working on the theory that if I am being charged for something then I should get it whether I want it or not, I have tried on several occasions to get my Ntl Phone reconnected, oh yes all the connections are here I believe it just needs switching back on, but each time I tried I just got shunted around Ntl Towers until eventually getting cut off. Ntl still send me a pointless letter every few months or so to tell me the advantages of switching to there crappy phone service.

I have a small chuckle over it before lining the cat's litter tray with it.

MichelleUK
20-02-2007, 13:16
Hi,

I could ring Customer Services but not sure I could face that either today. (apologies, I am feeling a bit pathetic today and the hanging on in the queue could finish me off!)

Thanks for any help,

Well, I finally decided to get the phone line fixed so that I can take up the £85 VIP offer.... but the good old NTL ways have kicked in...

Had an appointment for Saturday afternoon - no show! Spoke to CS who said my appointment was Tuesday between 8.00 and 1.00pm. After pushing the matter, they admitted that they had changed it "but that they had phoned and could not get hold of me". Odd, as both my mobile and BT landline have call logs and voicemail and nothing shows for NTL!

Waited in today for the engineer - no show yet again! Apparently, the order for my job had not been closed properly in the system.

Now booked for Thursday afternoon..what are my chances of success??

Oh well, I feel a little better for the moan...