PDA

View Full Version : NTL Ineptitude

SimonB1978
21-01-2007, 11:33
Hi All,

I have had NTL Tv for a number of years and as I have been paying for a phone line which I couldnt have previously (no spare slots in cabs) I was suprised to be informed recently that they now have some more slots and I could finally get a telephone line.

So, install arranged last Saturday 13th Jan 1-6 engineer turned up at 6.30 no apology or phone call to say I was last on his list, anyway installs telephone line and leaves me a number which I try and doesnt work i.e. rings but not in my house, he says the system is just updating and off he goes.

I think there is something not right here so I dial my mobile from the landline and a different telephone number comes up, I assume this is MY number and let people know.

Funny thing is I keep getting calls all week for people and tell them they have the wrong number but they keep calling, on Friday night the phone rings so often I unplug it.

Also during the past week I have kept having problems with the TV service, turn it on and even on BBC etc I get the you are not subscribed to this channel message (why does this message still give the old freephone number!) or your card is not present, so check slot yes its still in the bottom slot and correct way round from when the Engineer installed it all those years ago, triple check, power off and on and eventually I can see all channels again.

Anyway, I wake up yesterday morning, plug the phone back in and no dial tone, switch the TV on and cant get any channels without the unsubscribed message except for BBC 1, BBC 2 and Channel 5 not event 3 or 4, I power cycle a few times and then call faults who check the phone line say the number I give is not registered against my account, I give them the other number that didnt work that I was told by the Engineer SHOULD be my number and the CSA says yes that yours so I explain about the other number and he does not seem interested.

I then move onto the TV and he does the usual check the slot take the card out reinsert, Ill send you some signals from my end and nothing changes still only BBC1, BBC2 and Channel 5 can be viewed, he says this is odd and I need an engineer.

However, the issue it seems to me is that firstly my phone line was connected to someone elses number who has complained and is now reconnected and secondly is it conincidental that the TV channels have now gone or connected, its not the signal as Im receving the 3 channels.

Does anyone have any ideas, I have an Engineer coming tomorrow morning and I guess I will need a box change as the signals didnt work but is this just typical of the ineptitude of NTL?

Regards

Simon

MovedGoalPosts
21-01-2007, 13:59
It's not uncommon for the installers to "cross the lines" in the cabinet when they install phone lines. Someone else in your area has probably lost their phone too :(

You'll have to get the engineer to check both the TV and phone stuff, although they probably aren't directly related.