PDA

View Full Version : Cheap calls from USA back to UK

King Of Fools
10-01-2007, 09:08
Hi all!

I am sure there is somebody out there that can help me with this query. I am going to be in the USA in just over a week and was wondering what people would advise as the cheapest way of calling back to the UK. I will be taking my Virgin mobile but do not want to be spending £1 a minute (even if that is one of the cheapest mobile roaming rates) for longer calls.

I have read about prepaid calling cards that charge ~3c per minute but they seem to be sold for $20 and I do not think I will be spending that much. They also seem to expire within 3 months and it is very unlikely I will be going back to the USA in that time.

What I was looking for was some sort of BT Chargecard style thing that bills you for any calls made afterwards and does not have any ongoing service charges.

Also any advise on using these cards when in the USA. My hotel room appears to give free local calls and I would assume offers free 1-800 calls so a card with these contact numbers would be best (I think).

I have also thought about getting a T-Mobile prepaid SIM but these appear to have the same issues as the prepaid calling cards.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! :)

danielf
10-01-2007, 10:18
I'm pretty sure you can buy calling cards for 10 and even 5$. Calling cards vary wildly in terms of the rate they charge and access numbers they use. IIRC some can only be used in certain states as well. Your best best (as far as I'm concerned) is to look around when you're there. Last time I used one, they were available from all kinds of 'corner shops'.

Edit: Have a look here: http://www.comfi.com/calling-cards/UK

Some 5$ cards are available, almost all do $10 and most have a 'refill' option. Most cards have local as well as toll-free numbers (with different rates). Some cards charge a weekly 'maintenance fee' though.

The 'bizon' card has no maintenance fee, is available for 5$, and charges 2.3c/min on a toll-free number.

Gareth
13-01-2007, 21:36
Yep, daniel is right... you can get the pre-paid cards in varying amounts. Last time I was in Chicago (a few years ago now) I bought one for $10 which lasted ages, that's only about a fiver in 'real' money - gotta be the cheapest option.

Bear in mind that the quality with these cards isn't as good as making a normal call, but considering the price I was paying it was great.

SMHarman
13-01-2007, 22:38
You could buy take yourself a vonage VOIP box from the UK and plug it into the internet. It will then make calls like it is in the UK. And that makes them free.