PDA

View Full Version : Phone calls to mobile in USA

Matelas
01-01-2007, 12:30
Hi! Could anyone advise me concerning phone calls to mobile phones in America. I have read that calls are free when made by mobile from tje UK.
Is this so, and what are the charges when made by landline to a mobile in the US?

Hugh
01-01-2007, 16:58
Hi! Could anyone advise me concerning phone calls to mobile phones in America. I have read that calls are free when made by mobile from tje UK.
Is this so, and what are the charges when made by landline to a mobile in the US?

If it is true re mobile UK to mobile US, it is a new benefit - it normally costs on O2 Pay&Go £1.50 per minute, and 99p on O2 monthly.

The charges depend who your landline provider is.

Paul K
01-01-2007, 17:27
Erm what telephone provider (land and mobile) do you use?

Stuart
01-01-2007, 17:35

It's not true in my experience. The nearest you are likely to get is if your mobile is able to run SkyPE (as mine is), and you can then call another SkyPE user in the US without paying international charges. However, you *do* still pay data charges (you'll probably find that SkyPE is excluded from any free data tariffs).

The best thing you can do is look on your provider's website, or phone the Operator.

SMHarman
01-01-2007, 20:35
If you are calling a UK 07 mobile number from another UK 07 mobile number and you are in the UK then the cost to you is the same irrespective of where they are in the world. So if you are both on the same network and you have free calls between numbers on that network then your cost is free.

If they are on a UK mobile in the US then they are paying roaming rates and get hit with about £1/minute roaming costs.

If you are calling a US mobile from a UK mobile then it is just the same as calling any other number in the US.

The US works on a called party pays premium for mobile numbers, the calling party does not necesarrily know it is a mobile as no specific blocks of numbers exist for mobiles. However these days most phones come with so many includive minutes that the payment is the monthly line rental of the US mobile phone.

Matelas
02-01-2007, 09:39
Thank you guys! Your replies are really helpful.
Matelas.

AndyCambs
02-01-2007, 12:43
You could try jajah.com