PDA

View Full Version : Lobster 700TV

m_stephens
24-12-2006, 11:20
Thinking of getting one of these mainly for the DAB radio. I am intrigued that the TV is actually broadcast on one of the DAB multiplexes on VHF Band 3 - so having got rid of ITV 405 lines transmissions from Band 3 years ago, we now have ITV1 etc back on the same frequencies but now its digital.

Anyway I am slightly perplexed as to the business of paying the good Mr Branson a fiver per month to watch what is free to view TV elsewhere especially as it is actually broadcast rather than using up mobile phone bandwidth. I understand that you can watch BBC1 absolutely for free but BBC are only guaranteeing transmissions until Oct 2007. My research indicates that there is some sort of licence file which needs to be on the Lobster for the other channels. Does anyone know whether the ITV1, E4 etc transmissions are encrypted ( which would make it somewhat illegal to try and get round it) or is the licence file just something which affects the TV software on the Lobster (which presumably would mean that you could write replacement software which doesnt need it - the OS is Windows mobile so it shouldnt be that difficult to sort something)

I plan to use the phone as a DAB radio in the car using one of those FM transmitters which you plug into Ipods and other such MP3 players. However, the antenna for the Lobster is the stereo headset. Does anyone know whether there is an additional socket on the phone to plug the FM transmitter into or is there a workround.