PDA

View Full Version : blue screen panic

panenka
21-12-2006, 14:06
hello there,

well, finally had digital installed this morning (9am), engineer took no time at all, showed me around the channels, said it would take about an hour for everything to gel properly etc etc, all well and good. however, at some point over the next hour, the dread blue screen of death appeared and it would seem i now have no channels. at all.

now, my one year old son was showing an unhealthy interest in this new box/toy, but i don't think he got any further than pressing the channel buttons before i successfully shooed him away. don't think he switched it off, and certainly don't think he took the smart card out (he may have touched it tho').

anyway, made a couple of calls to customer service, who have said to wait twenty four hours, as the channels should (somehow) appear.

Is this likely to be the case? Am i worrying unduly? Should i have more faith in ntl? Because this blue screen looks pretty ominous at the moment.....

thanks in advance.

Paul K
21-12-2006, 14:35
Have you tried unplugging the power lead to the set top box for a couple of minutes and then plug it back in?

panenka
21-12-2006, 14:54
had tried that, to no avail. i'm just a bit annoyed because i feel like i am being fobbed off for 24 hours, and with christmas rapidly approaching, the chances of an engineer coming out to look at it seem slim. if my son has switched the power off within that first hour, is it likely to have caused this fault?

cheers for the quick response anyway paul, hope ye have a good christmas.

Paul K
21-12-2006, 15:02
The odds are that the box is just waiting for its full data hit that tells the box what channels it can show. NTL have recently changed to a new billing system which is impacting a lot of system side things so if it's not working tomorrow morning get on the phone as early as possible.

panenka
21-12-2006, 15:03
thanks again, fingers crossed this is the case.